TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lunar Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lunar

Homeschooling! - December 30th 2017, 02:40 PM

Hello! I just wanted to know if any of you have ever homeschooled? I have one child, and I plan to start homeschooling her this new year. She is of school age, and my husband and I have been talking about it for awhile now. I've been researching for about two/three years now, and I'm pretty confident in our ability to school our daughter. However, I am still working on last minute curriculum for this coming year. (We've decided to write our own for the first few years, to try and save a bit more for when we are going to have to start making curriculum purchases for the bigger years, and we also plan on going with themed unit studies rather than block studies.)

We are also going to considering going with a half unschooling, half classic kinda vibe. I love love love classic schooling, and I want to give my daughter a chance to dive in to that as well, but I think we've decided on unschooling for a bit since she is still so young, and start with the classics around 6 or 7 years old, after she is used to having a teaching/schooling presence in her life. (hope that makes sense)

I'd love to know if any of you guys have homeschooled, or if you plan too, and how you plan on going. Also any advice for curriculum writing would be great.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Homeschooling! - December 31st 2017, 04:01 AM

Hi Lunar!

I have never been home schooled, I do know a few members who have been. I'm going to move this to the Education and Careers forum as I feel like it might be a better fit.

Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Homeschooling! - December 31st 2017, 08:22 AM

Hey,
Homeschooling can be very benificial, but on the other hand it can also be dangerous. What I mean by this is, I was pulled out of school in 10th grade because the school sucked and I was bullied. It was a charter school and I really didn't do a lot of the work so I was unprepaired for college. As let ng as you stick with it and are prepared to teach her, and be kind of strict then I don't see a problem with it. Also I would make sure she socialized with kids so if you decide to put her in school she will be able to fit in.
I hope this has helped, and I didn't scare you off of home schooling.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Homeschooling! - December 31st 2017, 09:13 PM

Hey there,

I wasn't home schooled but I did do independent studies (it is similar but you still work with a teacher from the school district etc). I think there are benefits to being home schooled but, as stated, there can be some negatives as well.

Given that it seems as though you have done your research so it's likely that you know what you need to do to teach your daughter and make sure she is on grade level or ahead of grade level. I know people who have/are homeschooling and their children are right on level or above which seems pretty cool.

I know one of the cons with homeschooling, at least in some areas, is that once the child completes high school they don't end up getting a diploma and end up having to get a GED. This isn't necessarily a negative for everyone because a lot of kids are able to get a GED right away. However, there are instances where getting a GED can be delayed and that can become an issue. I don't know how this particular topic works in all states/areas either.

I also agree that socialization is important if the child isn't going to be schooled by I know there are a fair few ways for home schooled children to socialize. I know a lot of home schooled children are able to socialize in church environments etc and I know that there are gatherings for people who home school so the kids can interact but I am not 100% certain how that works.

I am sure that you have a plan for all of these but I can say that my biggest issue with independent study was that I didn't get a lot of socialization. I would still go to my school site once in a while and I would interact with other children who were on independent studies but it wasn't a lot of socialization and I did feel quite lonely.

I know there are a few people on here who have done home schooling and, I believe that they have done it for a long while (I only did mine for 2-3 years?). I hope that one of them will see this and be able to assist a bit more than I can.

That being said, I hope this doesn't come off as me saying home schooling is bad. I actually find it beneficial in a number of different ways and if I had the ability it might be something I would consider doing with any children that I might have.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread