TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sen Vanos Offline
That One Guy
Not a n00b

Name: Sen

Need tips for tutoring - May 17th 2018, 03:24 PM

I know a friend who's in serious problems when it comes to school. This is the last term which lasts until July and he needs a major push to make it to the next year and pass his classes. He asked me to be his tutor to help him with this.

We're the same age and are pretty good friends, but I have next to no experience teaching people, well, anything. I often even confuse myself with my explanations! So I need some tips.

Second problem is that I'm quite busy, but I do of course want to help him pass. How can I organise lessons quickly that can make the difference for him?

Sen
"Per aspera, ad astra- Through difficulties, to the stars"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Need tips for tutoring - May 19th 2018, 02:37 PM

It's lovely that you want to help out your friend but it must be stressful when you are busy too!

Wondering if maybe your friend can help with organising the tutoring- perhaps ask him to think about the things that he struggles with the most, or if there is anything in particular that he wants to focus on. Doing this will allow you both to allocate enough time for the things your friend feels is important or that he struggles with, while perhaps having some time left over to briefly cover other areas that he is less unsure of. You can also ask if he finds specific study techniques helpful or not- does he like to read and make notes, answer questions, make mindmaps, use flashcards etc. You can always use online resources too- we have some here. It can also help for each study session to have a few goals at the start and then to measure whether these goals have been reached at the end by having a quiz/question and answer session/getting your friend to explain to you what he learnt.

When it comes to the tutoring, if you feel you get confused trying to explain things, then you might want to stick to explanations and examples that you have already been given e.g. from a teacher or in a textbook, or even from online videos. You can also try breaking things down into small steps and checking that your friend understands as you go along (rather than trying to explain something all at once and expecting your friend to follow and understand). Also, remember that your friend needs to be actively engaging in sessions- taking part, asking/answering things etc., rather than relying on you to give the answers all the time.

Tutoring someone can be both challenging and rewarding. But remember to put your studies first too!

Hope others can share their helpful tips

HelpLINK Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread