TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Terra Rae Offline
Telescope <3
Not a n00b

Name: Terra Rae

Unhappy Do they have any right to do this? - July 12th 2009, 09:05 PM

Today I called in sick for work for the first time in my life. I got extremely sunburnt yesterday at a baseball tournament and I have blisters all over my face, not to mention my legs are burnt so badly it's very difficult to walk. Needless to say, I would not be very usefull at work, not to mention unsightly to the customers. So, I called in sick, explained my situation, and all I've gotten is doubt. My boss actually said that I would be "taken off the schedule until further notice" since I was "in such rough shape who knows when I'll be able to return to work." This sounded, to me, sarcastic and a bit rude.
That's only the start. He called me back a few moments ago asking that I come in tomorrow afternoon and see him. Does this mean he doesn't believe me? Do they have any right to doubt an employee who has never missed a shift before?

P.S. I'm not worried about him thinking I'm lying, because if he thinks it now, he definatly won't after he sees me tomorrow. The blisters and burns are VERY obvious :P

Don't patronize,
I realize,
I'm losing and this is my
real life.

"The way to a man's heart truly is through his stomach. None of those pesky ribs to stab through." <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lock Offline
Average Joe

Name: Joe

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 12th 2009, 09:22 PM

Turn up and show him the burns and blisters make him look foolish

"Knowing truth
Whispering lies"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Terra Rae Offline
Telescope <3
Not a n00b

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 12th 2009, 09:33 PM

That is my plan, and hopefully that's all it will take. May sound silly, but I'll be expecting a full apology if he really thinks I was lying.

Don't patronize,
I realize,
real life.

"The way to a man's heart truly is through his stomach. None of those pesky ribs to stab through." <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 14th 2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Rae View Post
Today I called in sick for work for the first time in my life. I got extremely sunburnt yesterday at a baseball tournament and I have blisters all over my face, not to mention my legs are burnt so badly it's very difficult to walk. Needless to say, I would not be very usefull at work, not to mention unsightly to the customers. So, I called in sick, explained my situation, and all I've gotten is doubt. My boss actually said that I would be "taken off the schedule until further notice" since I was "in such rough shape who knows when I'll be able to return to work." This sounded, to me, sarcastic and a bit rude.
That's only the start. He called me back a few moments ago asking that I come in tomorrow afternoon and see him. Does this mean he doesn't believe me? Do they have any right to doubt an employee who has never missed a shift before?

P.S. I'm not worried about him thinking I'm lying, because if he thinks it now, he definatly won't after he sees me tomorrow. The blisters and burns are VERY obvious :P
It doesn't sound exactly like a common excuse for not showing up to work because if it is that bad, then a good question is, why haven't you seen the doctor's or gone to the hospital?

They have every right to doubt you, I see no reason why they wouldn't have that right. Think of it this way, they pay you to work for them. So when you say you won't show up due to some reason, then they have every right in the world to see if you're lying to them or not.

To be quite honest, if I were the boss, I would have my suspicions on you. Since you didn't miss work then that puts you in some good light but with something that unusual and without you mentioning the doctors or hospital then I'd be more inclined to believe something doesn't smell right with your story.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 14th 2009, 04:58 AM

They have every right to do so.

Just because you're a good employee doesn't mean they can't have suspicions about your story. Maybe your boss does this to every guy who calls in. You shouldn't be an exception if that's the case.

I say show up tomorrow, prove him wrong...

And next time you're at a baseball game, bring sunscreen.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 14th 2009, 05:24 AM

Eh, either way, he doesn't have the right to be rude to you like that whether you were lying or not. It's not professional.

Also, it's your sick day, you know? You've shown no reason to be 'watched closely' or anything of that sort. Plus, what about people with depression or something? I've taken mental health days, and I sure don't feel the need to prove that to anyone you know?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 14th 2009, 02:25 PM

The same thing happened to my brother. He sold plasma and the woman doing it was new, and ended up bursting his vein and it caused a LOT of damage (he couldn't use that arm for over a week because it hurt so bad, and it was badly bruised). He called in sick to work and they told him that he would be removed from the schedule until he got a doctor's note. If he couldn't get a doctor's note within x amout of time, he'd be fired.
Yes, they have a right to do it to you. You're their employee - they pay you to work for them, and if you don't show up, that leaves them short-handed unless they can get someone in to take your shift, but that sometimes takes a lot of effort. If you call in sick for some "obscure" reason (let's face it, sunburns are not a common excuse), they have a right to challenge it. They may take your reliability into consideration, but they don't have to. I can understand them removing you from the schedule because of the shape you're in - sunburns never take the same amount of time to heal. And yes, during that time, they will probably investigate the call-in, your history, etc.
My suggestion: Because you've got at least second degree burns, I suggest making a little trip to your doctor for the note. This way, you can not only prove to your boss visibly why you can't come in, but you also have that note as a backup.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Terra Rae Offline
Telescope <3
Not a n00b

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 14th 2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I went to my work yesterday and showed him my face, which he promptly agreed was unacceptable for work, with the scars and blisters. So no problem there, he gave me some time off for healing. But, what really grinds my gears is that I did not receive an apology .. or even a "thank you" for that matter.

Don't patronize,
I realize,
real life.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 14th 2009, 03:58 PM

I suppose he doesn't feel he was in the wrong in this situation. I agree, he wasn't really wrong in any way, so there's no need to apologize. While he may have come off as rude, he was probably trying to do what was best for the company, or simply following policies.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 15th 2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Rae View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I went to my work yesterday and showed him my face, which he promptly agreed was unacceptable for work, with the scars and blisters. So no problem there, he gave me some time off for healing. But, what really grinds my gears is that I did not receive an apology .. or even a "thank you" for that matter.
So? Why should he apologize? He didn't do anything wrong, in fact, it would have been wrong to let you off without seeing if you were lying or not. Remember, you don't pay him to work, he pays you to work. He wants to see if he's paying you while you truly are unable to work or if you're lying.
I'm not sure why you think you deserve an apology. Perhaps a thank you would have been curteous but if you don't get one, then don't get all flustered up about it. If your blisters and burns are that bad, then why haven't you gone to the doctor?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
lock Offline
Average Joe

Name: Joe

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 15th 2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
So? Why should he apologize? He didn't do anything wrong, in fact, it would have been wrong to let you off without seeing if you were lying or not. Remember, you don't pay him to work, he pays you to work. He wants to see if he's paying you while you truly are unable to work or if you're lying.
I'm not sure why you think you deserve an apology. Perhaps a thank you would have been curteous but if you don't get one, then don't get all flustered up about it. If your blisters and burns are that bad, then why haven't you gone to the doctor?

It's called Manners now go goggle :P

"Knowing truth
Whispering lies"

(#12 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 15th 2009, 06:27 PM

Hey guys, there's no need for anybody to get worked up about it, all right?

Anyway,Terra Rae, I know you feel you may have deserved an apology, but you didn't get one, so I think it's best just to leave it in the past and move on. I think he acted appropriately, as he probably has in the past had employees who've lied to him in order to get out of work, so he has to be sure. And he's given you the time off now, which was probably his roundabout way of giving you an apology, you know?

It's frustrating, it is, but at least he gave you the time off in the end, and he's probably more likely to trust you in the future.

Take care.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 17th 2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock View Post
It's called Manners now go goggle :P
It's called Hypocrite now go google :P

(#14 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 17th 2009, 08:37 AM

well at least its sorted now. don't expect apologies from anyone, then when you do get them they'll mean more. :]

i've dealt with rude bosses before and you've just gotta bite your lip and get on with it. they are paying you at the end of the day. and you don't have to be there.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Shannon Offline
The Awesome-ist.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shannon

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 28th 2009, 03:07 AM

The way your boss reacted was technically not out of line. They pay you to work for them, and if you're not doing your job, they have the right to know why you are not and to be sure you're not a skipper.

However, it WAS socially out of line to question you when you had given them no prior reason to do so. So, yes, you have a right to be pissed, but not a right to file any complaints.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do they have any right to do this? - July 28th 2009, 11:45 AM

This thread as been inactive for nearly two weeks. Please don't bump old threads.

Closed Thread