TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Quick question! - July 14th 2009, 05:21 PM

Okay, say there's two different areas with two different schools. My area's school is dangerous and...well...ghetto, and the next area's school is for art students. I'm good in art, and I wanted to go to that school for my last 2 years of high school. It's less than 4 miles away.

But, I don't live in that area, so I can't go...but, I have a cousin that lives there. I could use his address. But, do you think the school will investigate and be suspicious of where I really live?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Quick question! - July 14th 2009, 05:27 PM

Wait what country do you live in? AFAIK, France is the only country that really cares about where you live. For example, my school as the only Protestant school in the region has students who live 50 miles or more away. I once met students from an English school who were all Korean (seriously, it was a 100% Korean school in England). Usually schools are only glad to take your money.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quick question! - July 14th 2009, 06:00 PM

But it's public, so it doesn't cost any money...

I live in America, btw.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Quick question! - July 14th 2009, 06:02 PM

Well, based on the presumption that America doesn't have this ridiculous ZIP code allocation system, yes it's perfectly OK. So long as you're not a Ghetto kid to be completely politically incorrect the school you go too shouldn't try to make you switch schools.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quick question! - July 14th 2009, 06:18 PM

ZIP code allocation system? What's that?

We have zip codes here, but to me, it seems completely unorganized...

I forgot to mention that I'm only going to this school for junior and senior year. I spent my first 2 years at a private school.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Quick question! - July 14th 2009, 08:50 PM

I'm not exactly sure what it is either, but as long as it is in your school district, you will be able to go to that art school.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quick question! - July 15th 2009, 06:13 PM

I know my cousin lives in the district, (god, I wished I lived there so bad instead of this crappy suburban neighborhood with no one my age in it!)
but I'm just hoping the school won't investigate his house just to see if I really live there...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Quick question! - July 15th 2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Nikki! View Post
I know my cousin lives in the district, (god, I wished I lived there so bad instead of this crappy suburban neighborhood with no one my age in it!)
but I'm just hoping the school won't investigate his house just to see if I really live there...
I don't think they would have any reason to check up on you, would they? Though, if you're transferring from another school, they may get papers and stuff from your previous school? Then again, they have no reason to believe you haven't moved house since your last school. I would think you'd be okay, I have a friend here that gave her parent's address to the school, even though she's living with her boyfriend.

I'm not sure, though... things are completely different over here.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quick question! - July 15th 2009, 08:05 PM

I was thinking we wouldn't need papers simply because it's a public school, and they accept anyone in the area because it's free.

My mom said that they give you three 'tests' to make sure you're from the area, but now I think that she was just trying to discourage me from transferring. She wants me to do good in art, but she wants me to stay at a private school, which I despise. My dad is the only one helping me out as of now...as well as you guys.

And if anyone wanted to know, I live in Maryland.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Quick question! - July 15th 2009, 08:16 PM

The French system is, like there are different "parishes" there are also different school districts, and once you're at the right age to go to school you get directed to "your" local school depending on where you live. So therefore where you live determines your level of education. On the one hand it's the fairest system possible, on the other it's absolutely insane.

It's obviously not the case in the States, or we would have heard of it sooner...
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quick question! - July 15th 2009, 08:45 PM

Woah, you mean you don't have a choice on where you go?
That *is* insane. If I had to go to my local school, I'd probably be beaten up pretty badly. I'm not saying public schools are bad, far from it. I want to go to one- it's just that the one in my area, well, sucks, and 20 teachers recently got fired from it.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quick question! - July 22nd 2009, 12:02 AM

UGH! My mom got this magazine from my current private school, and now she's shoving it in my face about how I want to transfer. T.T Please, I do NOT want to go back to that school. She thinks I'm going back there, but my dad is letting me go to public school if I can get in.

The good news is that recently, we found out that my uncle is renting a house out, within the school's area code. He has the same last name as me, so could I use that house to get into this school? I don't think they'll investigate if we have the same last name.

Closed Thread