TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

College?Work? What should i do? - August 4th 2009, 11:31 PM

I just finished high school, and now i have to choose if will go to college or work. I honestly prefer to go work, because im not sure of what to choose in college and i always thought that i wouldn't go college and i would start working on something, but i can't seem to find a job(but i only have been looking for some days).
But other possibility is for me go work with me dad. He has a small business and i could go work with him. But the problem is that i plan to move out from my town to other place, so will end up not staying with the business.
Now i don't know what to do, i don't want to go to college, specially because im not sure what to choose. I could go to work with my father, but i don't know if that is a good idea because i will probably end up going away from here.
What would you do? Any advice?

----
I also want to say im sorry because im probably making to much threads related to this subject(college and what to do) but this is making me feel very anxious, bad and i can't think of anything else. I also haven't been sleeping well because of this and i don't have anyone else to talk about this and the different situations and problems that come from this, so I end up making more than one thread about this.Im sorry

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Scribbles Offline
Friendly Neighborhood Nerd
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: College?Work? What should i do? - August 5th 2009, 12:25 AM

Well, no one here can make the decision for you, and none of us know you in real life so it's hard to give you personalized advice.

Are you financially capable of paying for college? If so, weigh cost versus benefit. Is it worth it to go to college without having any real direction, or is there something worthwhile that you could invest the money in instead?

If you can't pay for college without taking out a lot of loans, or if you don't feel like you could dedicate yourself to four years of more school, think about some realistic options.

Think about attending trade school, getting certified in a subject that applies to the field you are interested in, or getting an AA degree from a community college. Right now, it's difficult to get a decent job with no education beyond high school.

It's also possible for you to work and take a few classes at the same time, if that's something you want to do. Just keep your options open!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: College?Work? What should i do? - August 5th 2009, 01:30 AM

I recommend college. If you don't know what you want to study, take a variety of classes in things that might seem interesting.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mixtape91 Offline
Falling Up
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: College?Work? What should i do? - August 5th 2009, 01:39 AM

College gives you a wider variety of opportunity, financial and all. You could go to college AND work. It can be done, i know many who do

“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.”

- Edgar Allen Poe

The only truth is change, have patience
  Send a message via AIM to Mixtape91  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: College?Work? What should i do? - August 5th 2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonely.boy View Post
I just finished high school, and now i have to choose if will go to college or work. I honestly prefer to go work, because im not sure of what to choose in college and i always thought that i wouldn't go college and i would start working on something, but i can't seem to find a job(but i only have been looking for some days).
Nowadays, you shouldn't expect to get a good job without needing college or university or trade schools. Your other option is to be an enterpreneur but that's a career where either you do amazing or you do shit. There's not much gray area.

Quote:
But other possibility is for me go work with me dad. He has a small business and i could go work with him. But the problem is that i plan to move out from my town to other place, so will end up not staying with the business.
Now i don't know what to do, i don't want to go to college, specially because im not sure what to choose. I could go to work with my father, but i don't know if that is a good idea because i will probably end up going away from here.
What would you do? Any advice?
I do recommend going to college or university, or at least some special trade-school. You're not alone when you say you have no clue what to take. I say you go to college or university and you take a diverse set of courses. Think what you're good in at high school and what you like. Also, think what type of work you're interested in. But don't then simply think "I like [insert course or work] so I'll just study that". In your first year take a wide variety of courses because the professors are much better than basic high-school teachers and you can find yourself liking something you didn't care for in high-school.

Since you seem very eager to work, you can do both, go to college or university and have a job. Many students do that.

Quote:
I also want to say im sorry because im probably making to much threads related to this subject(college and what to do) but this is making me feel very anxious, bad and i can't think of anything else. I also haven't been sleeping well because of this and i don't have anyone else to talk about this and the different situations and problems that come from this, so I end up making more than one thread about this.Im sorry
Don't apologize, you've done nothing wrong by trying to make yourself feel more at ease. If it helps you in making the threads, take a quick look at the other threads. Many of them are along the lines of yours, they're not sure what to do or where to go, etc... .

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

Re: College?Work? What should i do? - August 5th 2009, 11:54 PM

Hello. Thank you all for the replys.
One of the problems about going to college/university is that i have to choose now ( i don't live in the US, so the school system is different, here when you decided to continue to study after high school, you choose something and you graduate in that, you have specific classes of that area) and since im not sure about what to choose, it's really making me feel anxious, bad, and like a loser.
Although i would like to work and in the future i would like to have my own business, i know that a major in something is gives me more security to get a job, specially because i want to move away...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: College?Work? What should i do? - August 6th 2009, 01:19 AM

Hey there,

This definitely seems like a tough situation to be in but it will work out in the end.

If you need to know what you want to major in now is there anyway you could talk to a counselor first and explain to them your fears and what not about choosing a major? Maybe a counselor could better guide you in your decision.

Also, choosing a major can be hard but one way to do it is focus on what you want to do with your life. What type of jobs interest you? If you know that you might be able to narrow down what you will major in. Think about all the jobs that exist out there, write down some that you are interested in and then maybe you could take that list to a guidance counselor and say "these are some careers I am interested in; what would be a good thing to major in."

I know that this is one of the things that helped me choose my major; maybe it will help you?

I hope this helped and best of luck. If you ever want to chat feel free to pm me.

~Jenna~

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lonely.boy Offline
Not a n00b

Re: College?Work? What should i do? - August 7th 2009, 01:16 AM

Thank you.
I know i need a college degree because it's a security, specially because i want to move away in some time and then in a strange town and starting over again that degree would help, the problem is that i go through the list of the subjects i can major on and nothing really makes me say and feel "this is what i want to do". But i always thought of having my own business, i would actually like to start doing that now, but i still don't have an good idea and at the age of 20 i don't think people would take me seriously...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: College?Work? What should i do? - August 7th 2009, 01:40 AM

Hey there,
My advice would be to start out at a 2 year college so atleast you can get some more education. That way if you like it you can always go longer. If you don't like it you can just stick it out for two years so you can get a much better job and earn more money. College will bring you much further in life but the decision is up to you! Good luck!

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: College?Work? What should i do? - August 7th 2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Thank you.
I know i need a college degree because it's a security, specially because i want to move away in some time and then in a strange town and starting over again that degree would help, the problem is that i go through the list of the subjects i can major on and nothing really makes me say and feel "this is what i want to do". But i always thought of having my own business, i would actually like to start doing that now, but i still don't have an good idea and at the age of 20 i don't think people would take me seriously...
Well you want to own a business so that is a start for what to major in: marketing, commerce, etc... . If you can think of what type of business you'd like, then that can aid you further. But you don't need to get a major in your first year so take some business-related courses, a math course, perhaps another science one or maybe a language one or social science, but the idea is to diversify.

As for what age you'd be, forget about it. Right now your concern is to find something you'd like for college or university and then get your degree. It doesn't matter what age you start college or university. I've had people in some of the classes I went to that were well in their 30s, 40s, some in their 50s.

Closed Thread