TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TabbyCat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Starting college..any advice? - August 15th 2009, 03:15 AM

I'm starting college on Monday..it's a small community college. In doing general education. I'm pretty nervous and excited..any advice for a new college student?? I read the first chapter in some of my textbooks.
  Send a message via AIM to TabbyCat Send a message via Yahoo to TabbyCat  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
larisa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: larisa

Re: Starting college..any advice? - August 15th 2009, 04:22 AM

i dont have any advice, but good luck!
have God on your side and you will be fine!
Good luck =]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: Starting college..any advice? - August 15th 2009, 04:59 AM

You're already ahead then most people. I don't even read the first chapters before the first day ...

Basically the way to succeed in class is to make student/teacher bonds. Go to your teacher's office hours and teachers will love you. Take advantage of all the resources the college offers (library, writing centers, academic services, etc).

I could say more, but it's late and I'm tired haha

if you have any questions or anything, PM me.

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Starting college..any advice? - August 15th 2009, 06:03 AM

I don't know how your college is, however, for all the university courses I've done, reading the first chapter isn't usually the best. It's generally a review of what you should know already and perhaps some extra bits here and there. Many of the professors I've had assumed you already knew the content of the first chapter and didn't spend much time with it.

For your first day though, the professors tend to babble a fair bit about the course, telling you about any tutorials or labs, introducing the online notes, etc... .

So if you want to get ahead, read the first few chapters not only the first one.

Try to make friends with other people so you can form study groups as these are very useful. Also, talk to the professors after class as that's a great place to get your questions answered. If you have no questions, listen to the other questions and answers as generally it will spark something that you didn't think about or you didn't understand as well as you thought you did.

Lastly, familiarize yourself with the campus because you'll be going to various rooms, floors and buildings to it's best to know your way around before you start. TAs don't often like when you run in late.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
acid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Starting college..any advice? - August 16th 2009, 06:25 AM

Definately build a relationship with your teacher, make them know that you have a desire to succeed. You'll see the results in your grades!

Prepare to work hard but make sure you don't have overloads of stress take everything one step at a time.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Starting college..any advice? - August 17th 2009, 02:09 AM

Hey there,

I think its great that you read some; depending on the class it could help you get a general idea of what you will be study.

The best advice I can give you for college is to study, do the homework and show up.

Most of the time the teacher will explain their class and they will explain what you need to do to get a good grade in their class so if a teacher says you need to do a lot of studying to do good than you need to listen.

Also, building student/teacher relations is a great idea but depending on your class sizes it might be a little difficult. However don't let that get you down. Try to pick at least one class where you think the teacher would be open and willing to listen and go talk to them.

The best way to talk to start up a conversation with a teacher is by asking them about the class. If you have some questions that the teacher didn't touch on than ask him/her or if you are interested in the subject you are learning go and ask the teacher for some more information.

Another great way to build a relationship with the teacher is if the teacher has a degree in the intended major you want to study(if you have one) talk to them about it. I did that with one of my teachers and they were thrilled and it really helped us bond.

As for studying and getting good grades; use the resources offered. Usually the community colleges offer resources such as tutoring, computer labs, the list really does go on. But, use them so that you can get the best possible grades.

And, lastly, enjoy yourself; talk to people and make new friendships. College is a great experience.

Best of luck.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Starting college..any advice? - August 17th 2009, 10:07 AM

I had this idea in my head that college would be 500 times more difficult than high school . . . the truth is, if you apply yourself and try to do well, you will be FINE.
Sometimes it can seem a bit stressful, but my advice is to relax. Do the best you can - that's all you can do. Make sure to ask questions when you don't understand and get help from your teachers when you need it - they assume you are responsible for your own education now, so small things like that are pretty essential.
Try to make it a fun experience. Make new friends, don't be afraid to try new (positive!) things and open yourself up for new ideas and experiences.
  Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
TabbyCat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Starting college..any advice? - August 18th 2009, 04:37 PM

wow, thanks everyone for the great advice!
i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything right now, but my first day did go well. In my english comp class I have someone to talk to...he was in my psych class in HS, but we didn't talk much.
Marriage and Family went VERY well! It turns out I was the only one out of around 30 that looked at the course online and printed out the chapter 1 outline. The professor noticed when she was handing them out and she called me a star student!
I have some questions, also. How do you know what to take notes on when the prof. is talking? and is it difficult to remember 4 chapters worth for each test? I'm not sure how I'm going to do that.
  Send a message via AIM to TabbyCat Send a message via Yahoo to TabbyCat  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Starting college..any advice? - August 19th 2009, 12:00 AM

To get an idea of what to take notes on, it might help to do any pre-assigned reading before class (I know too many students who go to the lecture, then do the reading). If you do the reading before the lecture, then you can go into the lecture prepared with questions. If your professor lets you know what the lecture will be about ahead of time, look at the relevant chapter in your text, and try to figure out what the most important parts are in it. If you can get an idea of major ideas the readings are trying to convey, that can help you focus your notes for when you're listening to the professor.

For memorizing several chapters, just don't leave it until the last minute. Keep up with the readings your profs assign you, use study guides, and as soon as you're having trouble with something, ask your TAs or go straight to the prof. It will be a lot easier if you're gradually absorbing information throughout the semester, rather than trying to memorize it in the last week or two before the exam/test.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Starting college..any advice? - August 20th 2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
wow, thanks everyone for the great advice!
i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything right now, but my first day did go well. In my english comp class I have someone to talk to...he was in my psych class in HS, but we didn't talk much.
Marriage and Family went VERY well! It turns out I was the only one out of around 30 that looked at the course online and printed out the chapter 1 outline. The professor noticed when she was handing them out and she called me a star student!
That's good, you can also take it as an opportunity to perhaps make some friends and a study group.

Quote:
How do you know what to take notes on when the prof. is talking?
Before I go to class I read the chapters and also the lecture notes so I'm not completely clueless. This also means I'll have fewer notes to take. When I take notes, I try to understand what the professor is saying so I can hopefully condense some of the notes. Since the professors don't tend to repeat what they say, I've found I'm fairly good at writing what the professor previously said while still listening and remember what was said, then I write that stuff down.

Quote:
and is it difficult to remember 4 chapters worth for each test? I'm not sure how I'm going to do that.
Generally the first chapter is an introduction and so it's usually not too hard and not too long. It also contains information you may already know from a previous high-school course.

But you don't just want to remember. When I was a little kid growing up, my parents would buy me books and books (along with some toys), and many of these books were memory games. So now I have a fairly good photographic memory, however, I've found that you also need to understand and apply, not just memorize.

Some people find certain courses easier than others so it depends how strong you are in the course. It also depends how good your memorization skills are.

Usually the professors will stress certain points more than others, in which case, it's a clue as to what you should definetely focus on. If you can, try to get past tests, either from a club for your subject area or buy them off of students who already took that course. It's great when the same professor taught it before so you can see how their tests are structured and they tend to repeat some questions.

If you cannot get past tests, then try to memorize and understand the content by doing some questions in the book. Also, try to write as much as you know about one area of the course. For example, let's say you're doing 1st year psychology. Write everything you know about, say, Freudian psychology in as much detail as possible then verify with the book and notes to see if it's correct.

When you come to the test and you see a question on Freudian psychology, then you have that one large detailed answer you made for yourself. Look at the specifics of the question and then extract the relevant parts from the long answer you made ahead of time.

This way you can have your thoughts more easily organized ahead of time so you're not taking extra time to begin organizing them once you see the question.

Closed Thread