TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Are A Levels Super Hard? - August 27th 2009, 03:49 PM

Well as you know it was results day today and I did an AS maths module which I got the results for too. I got a D (51/100) in it which isn't bad because I can resit it again. But when I came out of the exam in June I thought I'd done really well and had hoped for a B because I'd answered a lot of the questions and was confident I'd done it right.

Now I'm never going to be sure about an exam again because of this and I got an A in my maths GCSE but now I'm on a D. It makes me wonder if the same's going to happen with my other A Level subjects.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
mh182 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Are A Levels Super Hard? - August 27th 2009, 04:53 PM

Well, if you see in the media currently there is a big debate on whether A levels are too easier. To be fair I think they aren't, your doing maths. That is normally going to be a tough one. I think if you work hard at it you can achieve great grades, you dont have to be naturally talented.

If you feel like you tried your best and still do bad, there is one solution. Try harder

(#3 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Are A Levels Super Hard? - August 27th 2009, 10:02 PM

I hate the fact that people decide that students working harder to get higher grades that they deserve actually means that exams are getting easier.

I've heard that maths is incredibly hard. But if you're willing to resit then go for it, and good luck x

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#4 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Are A Levels Super Hard? - August 29th 2009, 03:20 PM

A levels are hard, however if you stick at them and work with them theres no excuse not to do well...

I took Physics and maths and dropped maths in the end, even though once you grasp the principles its easier its a LOT of work and I couldn't fit it all into my timetable, but if you have the time and put in a LOT of hard work it'll be more than worth it

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Unnameable

Re: Are A Levels Super Hard? - August 29th 2009, 03:29 PM

There's a big difference between GCSEs in the UK and A Levels, sciences, for instance, at GCSE are a complete joke and hence the jump from GCSE to A levels there is huge.

I do further maths A Level, and I wouldn't say it's any more challenging than any of my other subjects, but having said that, I got a D too for one of my A-Level maths papers that I sat when everyone else was doing GCSE, but don't worry, you'll adjust and get into the swing of things when you start doing them properly.

Plus, for A-Levels, usually you just do about four subjects, but for GCSE you do at least twice that, so you have way more time on your hands to concentrate on the subjects you're doing.
Hope that helped.
x
  Send a message via MSN to That Sullen Piņata  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Are A Levels Super Hard? - August 29th 2009, 08:11 PM

A levels aren't that hard, if you are doing the work. A lot of people I knew who did well at GCSE didnt do so well at A level, because they ended up not doing the work. Basically, keep up with the work, revise, and if you are stuck on something, don't be afraid to ask for help. Oh, and the best exam prep, past papers. Past papers are like revision gold.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Are A Levels Super Hard? - August 29th 2009, 08:53 PM

For me they were quite difficult, especially the first papers in January. Our specifications for Biology and R.E were new so there was not past papers to practice on, I had never even seen an A level paper before and it was a big shock. In biology we went from doing multiple choice GCSE's to essay question exam papers.

I was also very ignorant to the jump between the two, I thought because I had a B (7 marks off an A) in maths that I could easily get the C I need for Uni. This year at the end of my AS maths I got an E. I got an E, U and D in the modules, so a D is great especially for a first try. I have struggled a lot with my maths teacher this year too and the whole maths class got U's except for 5.

All of the teachers told us constantly that it is a huge jump from GCSE to A level but I was a bit too over confident and thought they were exaggerating. I was originally taking 4 but I dropped one because I only needed 3 for Uni and wanted to focus on those, this gave me 12 free lessons in total and I divided them up into study time for the other subjects.

After the January papers I did pick up and focus a lot more but it still didn't get me the grades needed. I did a lot of work outside school but it was very unorganized. This year I have started work already and organized a timetable to fit in work, revision and driving lessons. I have also planned what I will revise and when to make sure I fit everything in and stay on top of the work because this year I found out once you fall behind it takes a lot to catch up.

It is possible to get a good grade in A levels though is it just a lot of hard work and you pretty much lose your social life but you got amazing GCSE results and you worked hard for those so just do the same work hard and try your best and that is all you can do. If you have any more specific questions about A levels you can ask me any time and I will do my best to help

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Are A Levels Super Hard? - August 30th 2009, 09:39 PM

I haven't found them super hard but I have needed to work a consistantly high level in order to achieve the grades I want & need.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Are A Levels Super Hard? - August 30th 2009, 10:23 PM

i'm actually dreading it. i've been considering starting with 3 AS subjects instead of 4 [this is assuming i get my grades sorted from the exam boards and i'm allowed to enroll at the college i want to go to.] everyone keeps saying it's such a step up from gcse's.. but i guess i haven't really had a true representation of how hard gcse's have been because everything has been so fucked up this year.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Are A Levels Super Hard? - September 1st 2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post
For me they were quite difficult, especially the first papers in January. Our specifications for Biology and R.E were new so there was not past papers to practice on, I had never even seen an A level paper before and it was a big shock. In biology we went from doing multiple choice GCSE's to essay question exam papers.

I was also very ignorant to the jump between the two, I thought because I had a B (7 marks off an A) in maths that I could easily get the C I need for Uni. This year at the end of my AS maths I got an E. I got an E, U and D in the modules, so a D is great especially for a first try. I have struggled a lot with my maths teacher this year too and the whole maths class got U's except for 5.

All of the teachers told us constantly that it is a huge jump from GCSE to A level but I was a bit too over confident and thought they were exaggerating. I was originally taking 4 but I dropped one because I only needed 3 for Uni and wanted to focus on those, this gave me 12 free lessons in total and I divided them up into study time for the other subjects.

After the January papers I did pick up and focus a lot more but it still didn't get me the grades needed. I did a lot of work outside school but it was very unorganized. This year I have started work already and organized a timetable to fit in work, revision and driving lessons. I have also planned what I will revise and when to make sure I fit everything in and stay on top of the work because this year I found out once you fall behind it takes a lot to catch up.

It is possible to get a good grade in A levels though is it just a lot of hard work and you pretty much lose your social life but you got amazing GCSE results and you worked hard for those so just do the same work hard and try your best and that is all you can do. If you have any more specific questions about A levels you can ask me any time and I will do my best to help
I'd like to add onto this though and say it's not a massive jump. For maths I personally found it quite a smooth transition and I had finished GCSE maths 2 years previously! I found chemistry & biology hideously hard for the first term, though. I think it's quite personal what you find hard and how hard you find it, but I think everyone is quite unanimous in that you do need to work hard all year if you want to get good grades.

Closed Thread