TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Anybody know? - September 7th 2009, 08:04 PM

Ok so I have to do a novel presentation and it really shouldnt be that hard ive got a book picked out ive read it and everything now I just need to know how to do it.

I can either

Use the events in the book to make a time line that is large enough for audience members to see. It should be drawn in great detail and thoroughly discussed.

Or...

Draw a large character map and specifically discuss how characters changed and how they reacted to events in the story.

I dont know how to do either really. I mean I know what a timeline is but I dont know how I would make a timeline doing everything that I have to.
I have no idea what a character map is, can anybody tell me what it is? How to make one?

I feel stupid not knowing how to do these things.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Anybody know? - September 8th 2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaitsme View Post
Use the events in the book to make a time line that is large enough for audience members to see. It should be drawn in great detail and thoroughly discussed.
For this, I would do a plot chart. The benefit of this is that the plot chart itself shows where the climax, rising action, intro, resolution and conclusion all are without you having to explain it. You can simply draw a plot chart and use the information from the book to label it. The idea is that it's meant to be a summary so you don't need to include events that were very small. With your plot chart, during your presentation of it, you can briefly explain the background information surrounding each event. For example, if part of the rising action was "Bob hit Bill", then you would explain why Bob hit Bill, what Bill did, how it affected other characters, how it affected each other and how it led to whatever the next event was.

Below is a link that explains pretty easily how to make one: http://www.ehow.com/how_4422978_chart-plot-novel.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaitsme View Post
Draw a large character map and specifically discuss how characters changed and how they reacted to events in the story.
A character map can either be a bubble map, that is, you have the character's name in the center bubble and various character traits, changes, interactions with other characters, etc... stemming from it. Or, you can make a character map in the form of a plot chart if the character is a main character or another commonly-seen character. As with the plot chart, the character chart shouldn't focus on the small details as you can discuss some of those in your presentation aloud.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: Anybody know? - September 8th 2009, 02:59 AM

I don't think you can get a much better answer than what was just given. I'd say the plot summary would be simpler and easier to do. All you need to do is put up a timeline with all the major events of the novel and talk about why it was significant and, as Nightmare said, explain what point it is in the story (intro, rising action, climax etc.).

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

Closed Thread