TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Michael

This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 13th 2009, 03:58 AM

Okay, so this is probably going to sound pretty ridiculous considering that I'm in grade 12. I've gone through my whole high school career and I don't have very much trouble understanding key concepts, so I've naturally gotten pretty decent marks. Until recently it hasn't been a problem, but I haven't studied or tried to stay organized ever since I started school, so I never learned the organizational skills or the study skills that come to most people naturally. Now in my twelfth year of school, I'm in harder classes than I've ever had before. I don't have very much time to do homework or to study, so I need to learn how to stay organized or it will be disastrous.

Please teach me these skills! I need good marks this year and I'm beginning to think that I'll have to stop the extra-curricular activities that I love.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 16th 2009, 03:01 PM

Is there a guidance counselor at your school who you could go to about this?
I'd try to give advice but I'm terrible with organizational stuff. Do you have friends who might be able to help, or even just uber-organized classmates who you think wouldn't mind?
Good luck

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 16th 2009, 04:30 PM

Buy an agenda, thatreally helped my stay organized and write down e everything you have going on for the day and your homework you have to do and just everything.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 16th 2009, 04:53 PM

just make sure you have a folder for each subject and keep everything ordered.. write down EVERY piece of work that you're set. i got into a bit of a habit of not writing down assignments assuming i'd remember and then being like ohhhh shit on the day it was due because i forgot about it. if you miss anything in class because you're not there make sure you get the notes photocopied from a friend and keep up to date with all the hand outs or else when it comes to exams you'll have gaps in your revision.
there are some people in some of my classes who have really complicated systems of organising their work but i think the key is to just keep it simple. oh, and speak to a study kills person/guidance counsellor if you have one available to you. :]

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 16th 2009, 05:47 PM

I agree with what other people have said, I just got a planner and an accordian folder (those giant folders with tons of pockets) and I write everything down and keep every scrap of paper in the folder and carry them both with me everywhere.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 16th 2009, 05:48 PM

oh, and dividers.. lots of dividers.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Michael

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 17th 2009, 08:23 AM

I've tried dividers. I've tried folders. I've been looking into it, and I might have found something that could work. I am definitely going to get some more advice from some classmates. One of the problems is that I often can't read my notes and I never used to put the dates on them. That has caused me lots of trouble. I'm going to put a little extra effort to make my notes legible, put the dates on the top right corner of the pages, then I will write the notes out again neatly in a NOTEBOOK.

Does this sound like a decent idea? I will keep my notes inside the notebook, and after I will most likely use the other sheets of paper for origami, or I'll just recycle them.

I've got a big calender that I will start using in my room. I will color code the calender so that I can organize all of my activities (school related or not).

If anybody has more tips, they would be greatly appreciated.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 17th 2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandomkidmike View Post
I've tried dividers. I've tried folders. I've been looking into it, and I might have found something that could work. I am definitely going to get some more advice from some classmates. One of the problems is that I often can't read my notes and I never used to put the dates on them. That has caused me lots of trouble. I'm going to put a little extra effort to make my notes legible, put the dates on the top right corner of the pages, then I will write the notes out again neatly in a NOTEBOOK.

Does this sound like a decent idea? I will keep my notes inside the notebook, and after I will most likely use the other sheets of paper for origami, or I'll just recycle them.

I've got a big calender that I will start using in my room. I will color code the calender so that I can organize all of my activities (school related or not).

If anybody has more tips, they would be greatly appreciated.
This is a good idea, also if you're going to college some professors will post their lecture notes online to print out, some will let you type your notes or tape record the lectures to listen to later.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Babity Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kaila

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 17th 2009, 06:05 PM

Here's something that helps me keep up with all my classes. Everyday I write a list of all the classes I have. Then I write down the assignments I have for them (like studying, projects, homework, ect.) If I don't have any formally assigned things in that subject I'll give myself one like review notes, or find an online quiz to practice the skills. Then by exam time I'm confident with everything

Compromise is not a sign of weakness. It is the strength to withstand caving to an ultimatum.
Living with one takes great strength

TH Buddy
VM me
PM me

Last time I cut myself
October 19th, 2012

(#10 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 17th 2009, 10:36 PM

I agree with everything said here, buut for me none of it worked. What you need is determination, and a real 'want' to succeed...

I'm a very unorganized person, but in subjects I found I enjoyed, that didn't matter I just worked through it all... Subjects I didn't, I didn't try, and thats what it all comes down to knuckling down with it and getting on

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 18th 2009, 02:12 AM

I totally agree with what everyone said here,
But just to add in about when you're actually doing the work, try and plan out your time really well. Spend say thirty minutes seriously studying (no TH ) then take a ten minute break, then rinse and repeat. This really helps me when I'm working as I tend to get side tracked really easily!

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#12 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: This is probably going to sound ridiculous... - October 22nd 2009, 06:34 PM

Our school hands out 'Study Timetables' to us from before Christmas onwards. Basically it's a table with the days of the week down the side and the times (from 4pm-10pm on weekdays and about 10am-10pm on weekends) along the top, you then fill in the boxes what you plan to do/ study at that time and do your very best to follow it depending on your dedication to schoolwork. It doesn't do much for me, but I know it helps a lot of people.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

Closed Thread