TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nickel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Niki

Arrow Question about my grades - November 27th 2009, 02:28 AM

Right now, I'm extremely concerned with my grades.

I am in my sophomore year of high school.

I've always been in advanced classes and I enjoy challenging myself. However, I find that my grades have been slipping even though I usually understand the material.
I'm taking all honors classes and I'm really concerned with my GPA and class rank.

Last year I received my first C ever (in biology), but I did manage to get B's in the other marking periods.
This past marking period, I had a C in Algebra 2 and Chemistry but A's in all other classes.

I am determined to get straight A's, but will the C's in my past significantly affect my GPA and prevent me from any future scholarships?
I really want to be in at least the top 25% of my class, but I'm afraid that my grades won't allow this. :/

I also fear that I won't be able to get into a good college.
(I'm guessing that Ivy League colleges are out of the question?)

I'm sorry if I'm overreacting, but school is my top priority at the moment.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Question about my grades - November 27th 2009, 04:01 AM

Three C's will not ruin your future. You can still get in a good (even ivy league) college. You are only a sophomore, so don't stress so much. The C's might bring your GPA down a bit, but not by much, especially if you get A's in everything else, or even B's. If you are worried, talk to your school counselor, they can tell you more about it then I can.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Question about my grades - November 27th 2009, 04:40 AM

don't write off any college yet - a few C's will not stop you from doing what you want in life. i'm not familiar with this whole GPA thing [probably because i'm in the UK] but anyways, if you want to raise your grades then see if there are any extra revision sessions going on that you could attend or ask your teacher for help!.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Question about my grades - November 27th 2009, 04:46 PM

I won't worry too much, like the people above me said. The fact that you are taking difficult classes that challenge you is more important, as long as you aren't getting D's or F's in those classes. I'm not saying you aren't working hard, but if you want to improve, maybe you could talk to your teachers of those classes. I go in for tutoring a lot at my school, and often times teachers will give you a lot of help if you show them that you want to learn, and that school is your top priority.
I would also talk to your school counselor and talk about weighted GPAs and how those will affect your grades and future college choices.
I hope all works out for the best!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Question about my grades - November 27th 2009, 05:50 PM

Don't worry about colleges yet, you're doing fine especially if they were C's in honors classes because they're equivalent to B's

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nickel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Niki

Re: Question about my grades - December 3rd 2009, 12:45 AM

Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm going to set up an appointment with my guidance counselor to discuss all of this.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Question about my grades - December 3rd 2009, 06:10 AM

A lot of colleges don't even really look at grades for freshman and sophomore years. They're much more concerned with junior and senior year, and would rather see you challenging yourself in Honors classes and maybe getting lower grades than getting As in all standard level classes and not pushing yourself to take up a challenge. A few Cs won't hurt you, and you can always balance your GPA out with some clubs or extracurricular activities.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

Re: Question about my grades - December 14th 2009, 02:51 AM

For reference, I know a guy who lived in upstate New York during his high school years. He had a 3.5 unweighted GPA, an SAT score in the 2100's, and only one extracurricular activity - he taught local kids how to unicycle. His unique extracurricular allowed him to write a fantastic essay, and he got accepted to Harvard.

When comparing his academic stats with those of many other Harvard acceptees, almost everyone thought he didn't stand a chance. But the Harvard adcoms recognized his passion. There's the key word right there. It's something that many applicants to Ivy League schools don't have, and it's due to their lack of it that they get rejected - believe me when I say this. As long as you have well defined interests and are absolutely crazy about them, your essays should come naturally, and if you just work hard in school and do the best you can, you will definitely stand a chance no matter what everyone says. The only case where you would really have NO chance would be if you didn't apply. :P

Best of luck in the admissions process!

Much love,
castadiva

Closed Thread