TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
R13ose Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amelia Rose Khan

No Job, No Money = Fighting Family - December 4th 2009, 08:17 PM

I am trying to find a job, but everytime I do they say "We will hire you for a little bit, and than we will let you go."

What I want to get into is the Environmental NGO's or Arts. My experience is in Computers (mostly making websites) but that is causing me to hate my life when I work on them. The only reason I use them is because I can't find a job in other fields.

On the other hand, my parents yell at me everyday saying "Why don't you have money coming in?" What do I say to my parents? Everyday I tell them I am working but they want to see the money coming in which is very little because no one hires me.

Just one more thing about my family is that I am the only huge problem left. As soon as I am able to make enough money to live off of, my family will not be so yelling.

What I am trying now since no one is hiring me is trying to get donations from people to live. I just started this on my blog which is in my signature at the bottom and if you can visit that this would be nice.

If other people have ideas on how I can improve my life this would be great.

"Why do we fight in this world so much?"

"I cry everyday for all the hurt in this world."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: No Job, No Money = Fighting Family - December 5th 2009, 04:29 PM

I had a problem although it was the girlfriend and me who had arguments... For me it was all about communication I was quite happy to get on with finding a job, but she wanted to know I was really trying, and it sounds controlling but she didnt ask me to do this, but I just kept her updated on who I was talking too, what I had coming up what I was going too be doing, and although I still had no money, it did help a lot as she felt involved rather than I was just sponging off her...

If you can get a job for a little bit it will only be on a temporary contract am I right? As long as you agree not too work for someone who says you cannot leave for x amount of days, I'd go for one of them, not only is it experience to put down on your CV, and money coming in, but also you can keep a slightly smaller job hunt up! Right now companies are just looking for christmas staff so getting a full time job is... Unlikely!

Also maybe its not a solution for you, or maybe you've tried it, but I looked at huge companies like fast food chains, who take in thousands of applications, but just apply for everything, literally, theres a chance in everyone, just stick at it .

A month ago I was in your position in serious trouble, couldn't afford to stay at home then I got lucky, but only cos I went for it 6 hours a day, visiting local towns getting anything, an income, while in the long run I plan to get a skilled job, but my smaller job for now which I'm very happy with will be more than good enough to get my life sorted!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
R13ose Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No Job, No Money = Fighting Family - December 6th 2009, 06:56 PM

I totally understand and if I do give my family updates on what I am doing they are happier. They just want to see what I am doing now since they don't believe me. I try to do more things and they are happier I am but if it isn't paid they get mad. Like if I volunteer too much they say you should be making money now, ask all around for places you volunteer if they are hiring and none of them are.

The jobs I get are good and I really like them just they don't keep me on long. What I mean is that I could be out in a month or two weeks or a few days, they never seem to keep me on long.

You are right, I should continue to search and get jobs that tell me that I can work here for no length of time. This would give me more freedom to do what I want and find the job I want, along with getting a little money.

I don't like applying for large companies because you become one of the employees and don't get to know your boss at all. This is something I like in smaller companies and I try to work for them more. I know the job will not be long or that much money but it is something that I love to do.

You are lucky, and I need to do this 6 hours a day everyday to find a job. This is something I don't do, and I should be. My search is normally 1 or 2 hours a day but if I up this to 6 hours, I will find something for sure. If everything goes right, I will find a job in no time.

I just told my parents I am moving out as soon as possible, and I said by Jan. I just feel that I need the money fast and this is not coming in at all which is really crazy.

What do I do in the future? My main field is Computers and I can't get enough work that is paid in that field. When I feel like changing fields to the environmental or arts, I can't find a job in these fields either. For the arts, I can't find a way to make enough money but for the environmental area they don't hire enough people.

What is the next step? To search in all fields for 6 hours a day? Any further ideas?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: No Job, No Money = Fighting Family - December 7th 2009, 04:21 PM

I'm not going to name the company i work in but its big, known for bad pay and over working, but I don't find that personally. Its a company the operates world wide but my boss I do get on with, not met him a lot, but everyone else seems to know him really well and I'm sure in due course I will too!

I'm not sure where your from or if you can drive? Or how your going about looking for work... But I'd say get yourself down a good CV/(Resume?) really put some time into it, get some references from previous employers, if not go for school teachers, not friends or family, but people who can put in a really good word for you with good reason. With that behind you you'll seem a lot more attractive to businesses, stand out, personally I didn't spend ages on mine, but I do know people who will spend a day or two putting together a really strong one... There should be help avaliable locally, in England we have somewhere called connexions for young people, or the JobCoach on the back to work website.

I wouldn't set a date for moving out if you have nowhere to go or no money to get somewhere, to be honest its only going to ramp up the pressure on you and cause more frustration, but if you do have somewhere to go, thats fiiine!

I really honestly would search the unskilled sectors of work, however boring the jobs maybe or long the hours, just general office work anything, maybe sales, try and get interviews, I work for minimum wage right now but its not the end of the world, I doubt I'll be there forever I have a dream, a place I want to be, but for now this is plugging a few years perfectly wile I get some money coming in and on my feet .

Simple, boring jobs... Jobs people don't want to do, search for them if you need money now, they'll have longer contracts available and then eventually you'll be able to move on from those and get to work in a place you want . Also sites like Monster will let you choose jobs you want (select your country), and they will email you a daily email updating you on the work avaliable within a set area you choose, making a job search a lot easier .

When your not working, put as much time as possible into searching for work, personally I looked at smaller, less paid jobs, but I know have a wage coming in, and experience on my CV, and my huge gap in the timeline of my life only to be filled by the letters U N E M P L O Y E D is over! The longer your out of work the harder it is to find some, but while your at your smaller, less paid job, start searching for the jobs you really want to do, you now have time on your hands, and money coming in, so you can afford to pick and choose

Visit recruitment agencies, set yourself targets, maybe once a week you can visit 2 local towns, and within every town bring maybe 30... 40 CVs, hand then out everywhere, it seems daunting at first, I know, I'm a terribly shy person, or was, but its all character building and you get the hang of it eventually . Take every opportunity you get every interview, go too, even if you don't want the job and just use it as practice even!

So yeah, if you badly need money, search lower, unskilled sectors, get a job then carry out a higher profile job hunt from there. Search as much as you can (although you DO need a break sometimes), I can honestly sympathize with you though, the during time I didn't have a job, well it was probably one of the worst parts of my life... Ever. Sure I was on benefits, sure I didn't have to work, but the frustration, the rejection, and people putting you down is so much worse.

So keep your head up, keep at it and you'll get there in the end

Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
R13ose Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No Job, No Money = Fighting Family - December 9th 2009, 11:18 PM

This is nice that you are working in a good company but they work you too hard which is bad.

I am from Canada, and I can't drive, just because of personally reasons. I have a good resume down and am improving it everyday depending if I find a job or not. I have references but this because hard when you have worked for awhile. Yep I have gone to Job Centres that hasn't worked for me at all.

I totally understand, I feel that my parents are going nuts with me. I get mad everyday and I know that everything will work end in the world. Moving out is not right for me at the moment but soon I will have to move out. Everyone around my age is moving out and I am still at home that sucks.

I am not worried about the pay, what I am worried about is that I will go into the disorders I have and that will not be good at all. You are right that I should build up the money I have and just take any job that comes along for me.

What are simple boring jobs? I mean that I would do them but I don't know which ones they are. If I just know any job out there is open I will apply if I meet the skill set or am very close to that. Monster is a good site to look at.

You are right about the whole finding a job now and doing this as much as possible. I have been doing this for hours on end everyday, and I will continue until I get a job. If I have a blank spot on my resume that never looks good to companies that are hiring. I try everyday to find volunteer or real job work and put that in my resume.

In Canada, the cities are a bit farer out and not as close as in the UK. I know that I can keep trying areas around the city I am in as there is a lot of companies all over the place. Yep, I totally understand what you mean about the whole practice with interviews. Everytime you do them you get better and better.

You are right, and I am thankfully you understand that I mean. By you understanding, you know what it means to be unemployed and not doing something that can get you out of the house everyday. Even if you are out of the house everyday, not being able to go far because of the money is hard.

Thanks for helping me out you are so great, and I really am moving forward because of you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: No Job, No Money = Fighting Family - December 13th 2009, 07:29 PM

Heyy, sorry I've been a while, I'm on it though!

Its not that they work me too hard, its just going from nothing to everything is a lot

Simple boring jobs try looking at things liiike cleaning, fast food chains, working behind a counter in a shop for example, call centers, although many do require skill its nothing people are trained for before they start work, you simply lear it on the job. I'd say the only people who will want anything previous are call centres, who may want sales experience, but otherwise you should be able to find places hiring...

Personally if you are able bodied enough to drive, I wouldn't be moving out, first thing I'd do is afford my own transport, that way even if a job doesn't last then you can get further out too work, and employers just about always like car ownership, at any rate it will make you search area wider!

Hows the search going?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
R13ose Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No Job, No Money = Fighting Family - December 16th 2009, 10:08 PM

You are right, I should try to get any job possible, and I have been trying that harder now than ever before. Hope that a job comes around and that I will be happy with. Once I have enough money to move out, I should. I don't know how to drive but my parents keep telling to learn and I hate that because I feel it is not something need at the moment.

As for the job search, this is going much better but so far the jobs I am getting are not paid. I need to get a job that is paid, which is hard to find in this climate. Maybe I just need to find a part-time job that is paid for now.

Everyday I am able to get outside and work, people around me are happy but I need a job that is paid for them to be fully happy. How do you know if a job is paid just by looking at the job application? I know I can ask people when I go outside, but I also search on the internet and sometimes they don't say.

Closed Thread