TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Question Training Or College?! - December 26th 2009, 09:53 PM

So, I finished my first classes in college and everything went well. I signed up for five classes this time, but I'm worried about how much books will be...

I'm thinking of just not doing it, and going for some kind of training, certification, or something of that sort. Maybe medical or law enforcement.

Can someone direct me to some degrees that don't take that long and pay?

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Training Or College?! - December 27th 2009, 02:51 AM

well look at your local community college. like my community college they have certifications and alot of them so look at your mocal community college to see what that has.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Macaroon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mac

Re: Training Or College?! - December 29th 2009, 04:34 AM

You'd be surprised at how you can get around not paying for books or paying little. Most libraries keep copies on reserve and you can use it in the library for periods of time. You can also rent books for half the cost online or buy off ebay. Also checking rate my professor helps alot because 4 out of 5 classes rarely used the books regularly. Math courses are main books users but others can often rely heavily on in class note taking. College is beneficial in the long run even though it is a lot of money upfront. I'm sure you know the statistics of how much a person with a bachelors degree makes in comparison to an associates in their life time but it all depends on what you think is best for you. And if you already signed up, think of the moeny you'd lose by dropping out?

I believe that everything happens for a reason.
People change so that you can learn to let go.
Things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right.
You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.
And sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.
<3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Training Or College?! - December 30th 2009, 01:05 AM

Community colleges offer Associate's Degrees and other credentials depending on what you wish to go for. For university or college, you can try to either buy the books used or what some people do is they photocopy the pages of the books that are needed. Photocopying certainly takes up lots and lots of time, but depending what the course is, then it can be good. If there are complex and detailed diagrams, then photocopying those pages may not be very helpful.

One thing to consider though is that amount of pay and success with certain degrees, along with job avaliability. Also, if you're thinking about dropping out of college now and going for a quicker education, are you going to stick with that quicker education? Are you going to be happy knowing that you had the opportunity for higher education but chose otherwise because you wanted a faster and easier route?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: ~Sebrine~

Re: Training Or College?! - December 31st 2009, 12:34 PM

i don't know any degrees that don't take long but pay well...
but i do know that medicane is heaven sent if u can sit and study (unlike me)
.. also you can start working and getting paid at about your fourth year, not to mention how wonderful it is when you finally graduate!!!

The Darker the NIGHT,
The brighter the dawn.
The longer the darkness lingers,
The more beautiful the light will come.

Closed Thread