TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

Thumbs up Cal Newport's StudyHacks blog: great advice for students! - February 9th 2010, 02:22 AM

Calling all students on this forum: you should all seriously read the following blog, written by Cal Newport, a MIT postdoc. He gives excellent tips on developing effective study habits, emphasizes the need for people to be doing things they're truly passionate about in terms of extracurriculars, and introduces his famous "Zen Valedictorian" philosophy: an ideal student with great grades, amazing personal experiences, and - most importantly - looks very impressive on paper without being as stressed out as many students are today.

Direct quote: "Last week, I introduced the Zen Valedictorian Philosophy. This concept captures the general approach to student life that I’ve been promoting on this blog. The big idea is to find a way to become less overloaded and less stressed without becoming less impressive. I believe that a student should be able to have an engaging, fun college experience, and still get into a top graduate program or professional school, and have the ability to choose between outstanding job opportunities."

It provides for a great read, and I just wish I had encountered it earlier. Like I said in the title, there's plenty of good stuff to take away from this.

Link to the blog (click the link or copy/paste URL into browser):

[Edit: Link Removed]

Last edited by Pandamonium; February 16th 2010 at 12:50 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

Re: Cal Newport's StudyHacks blog: great advice for students! - February 15th 2010, 12:29 AM

Bumping this thread up... does anyone else find it useful/helpful in any way, or am I totally alone in thinking this? :P

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Cal Newport's StudyHacks blog: great advice for students! - February 16th 2010, 12:50 PM

We don't allow advertising, so I've removed the link.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
Closed Thread