TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sodapop Offline
dweeb with problems.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: soda.

Thumbs down disappointed - February 12th 2010, 10:05 PM

For years University of Florida has been my dream school. Quite frankly, I've worked my ass off in high school - all of the classes I've taken for the past two years have been college classes at the local community college. I volunteer at an animal shelter, I've been in a number of clubs and organizations, my combined SAT scored was about 1940, and I have a 3.6 unweighted GPA meaning i probably have a 4.0-4.1 weighted GPA.

Rejected! Whaaaat!

I'm disappointed, although I was accepted to the University of Central Florida several months ago. I just feel so upset. I know my friends (and a certain few who are NOT friends, including my bitter ex) are going to think less of me. I'm so upset.

I know that UF is extremely picky and often rejects kids that are later accepted into Ivy League schools, but out-of-state tuition is not an option for me considering my bankrupt parents.

I'm such an overachiever and I set high standards for myself on purpose because I know that I'm capable of really great stuff. To watch some of my friends go to Gainesville while I have to settle for a less prestigious university upsets me a lot. Plus I feel like now I'll have less opportunities to go to a truly Ivy League grad school, which considering my professional dream to be in the publishing business, is rather crucial.

Everyone told me I'd get in. I can't believe that I've worked this hard to have to settle for the school that I feel won't challenge me enough or provide me with the opportunities I crave.

soda.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: disappointed - February 13th 2010, 05:48 AM

It's not the end of the world. First-year university is the same wherever you go with minimal differences, so you could either do one or two years at University of Central Florida then transfer to UF, or you could do your entire undergrad. at University of Central Florida then apply for grad. school to UF. Being in a reputable place doesn't make you any better. It sounds flashy, such as when I tell someone I'm in one of the top universities in Canada (University of Toronto), it doesn't mean I know more than someone from elsewhere. It sounds flashy but people care more about how you perform rather than where you came from. There are many professors who teach at UofT who are from Harvard, Stanford, etc... . Doesn't mean they're better than someone else just because of where they attended.

How do you know you won't be challenged enough if you haven't taken courses at higher levels there?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: disappointed - February 13th 2010, 09:45 AM

If thats where you really want to go can you not take a year out and try again next year? Ask for feedback from the University as to why you were rejected, and try to change that for next time. I don't know what it's like in American but in the UK this is far from uncommon when people have their hearts set on a certain University or course (I will be taking one if I don't get in, for example). The year out also gives you the chance to earn some money which always comes in handy!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: disappointed - February 13th 2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
It's not the end of the world. First-year university is the same wherever you go with minimal differences, so you could either do one or two years at University of Central Florida then transfer to UF, or you could do your entire undergrad. at University of Central Florida then apply for grad. school to UF. Being in a reputable place doesn't make you any better. It sounds flashy, such as when I tell someone I'm in one of the top universities in Canada (University of Toronto), it doesn't mean I know more than someone from elsewhere. It sounds flashy but people care more about how you perform rather than where you came from. There are many professors who teach at UofT who are from Harvard, Stanford, etc... . Doesn't mean they're better than someone else just because of where they attended.

How do you know you won't be challenged enough if you haven't taken courses at higher levels there?
The prestige of the University you attend does make a difference for most careers when it comes to getting your first couple of jobs tbh.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: disappointed - February 13th 2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
The prestige of the University you attend does make a difference for most careers when it comes to getting your first couple of jobs tbh.
I agree to an extent. If you attended a place that's a dump, it looks bad. If I attended, say, Queen's instead of UofT, there's some difference in prestige but it's not a large difference. On the other hand, if I attended some petty community college or a dumpy university instead of UofT, then that looks pretty bad for me. So while I do agree that the prestige does matter, if you get into a pretty good place, that's better.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: disappointed - February 13th 2010, 12:13 PM

the prestige of the college doesnt really matter. employers look at your grades and how well you did there. not if you went to a prestige college or not.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: disappointed - February 13th 2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNV View Post
the prestige of the college doesnt really matter. employers look at your grades and how well you did there. not if you went to a prestige college or not.
This is clearly not true.

I don't know many American Universities off the top of my head so I'm going to use a British example.

Some employers won't even consider applications from people who have not attended Oxford or Cambridge.

If they have two people who have applied for a job, one with a 1st from let's say Sheffield Hallam and one with a 2.1 or 2.2 from let's say Imperial, even though the Sheffield Hallam student has the better degree they will take the one who went to Imperial. This is even more certain if the student went to Oxford or Cambridge.

Why would people bother getting into top Universities, Ivy league, etc if it made no difference? Thats a rhetorical question - it makes a big difference. And I know that this is true in America as well. Only for your first say three jobs though, after then they go more on your work experience. And this isn't to say that you can't get a good job or graduate programme without having gone to a prestigous University - but for competitive jobs (I'm thinking of particular legal and investment firms in the UK) you don't stand a chance without having gone to a top University.

The only thing I know that it makes no difference for is medicine in the UK, as when you apply for your first job they cannot see where you went to University and only your ranking in your year group.

Closed Thread