TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Online Degrees? - February 16th 2010, 12:33 AM

Fall of 2009 I completed a semester of Community College (Gen Eds- Math, English, Psych). Then I had a major surgery done which took me out of college. My mom has been going crazy about how I need to decide what I want to do very soon because I needed to be enrolled by July 26th to stay on the insurance plan.

When I was at the Community College I struggled a lot because of my anxiety and I have trouble being in a classroom with people I don't know.

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about online courses or online degrees? Maybe I could do an online course instead of being in a classroom?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Online Degrees? - February 16th 2010, 10:12 PM

I personally wouldn't favor an online college. With how competitive the job market is right now and will probably continue to be, those who have a degree from a "real" (use whatever term you want to for non-online) will have an advantage.

Now, that being said, online courses through an established "real" college could be a realistic option. You will likely eventually have to take some classes at the college, though.

On a related note, have you considered or gone to counseling for your anxiety issues?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ox In A Box Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Online Degrees? - February 16th 2010, 11:46 PM

I agree with everything BigBL87 said. I also want to say that I understand that anxiety is very debilitating and I'm really sorry that you have to suffer from it. Having said that, you do understand that taking online courses to prevent being around people you don't know is just prolonging the inevitable. If you're going to want to make money, you're eventually going to have to work with people that you don't know. It's just part of life. You might as well get used to it in a non-threatening environment like a college classroom. If that notion is too overwhelming and anxiety-inducing, then I highly recommend that you seek counseling.

Good luck!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Online Degrees? - February 17th 2010, 03:54 AM

You could start out with online courses, then do hybrid (online and in classroom) and then go completely? It's worth a shot. Online classes are tough if you have porcrastination issues, like me. I know plenty of people who are doing/have done onlie courses and did very well in them.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Online Degrees? - February 17th 2010, 06:04 AM

Thank you very much for the helpful tips. The anxiety was bad in a classroom then I would just skip classes which got very bad for me and eventually it got too difficult to go everyday. I thought about going to see someone to get help but that would also cause anxiety and wouldn't help much. I am just screwed. I have actually realised that either way I will be in a public setting and will have to speak to people I don't know well. I can't even make phone calls to schools and jobs and such without feeling anxiety. If I refuse treatment, I have no idea what I will do for my future. Maybe I will do what you suggested Kacie. I was looking at another Community College in my area that offers online classes, maybe I will look into that.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Online Degrees? - February 17th 2010, 11:56 AM

I didn't necessarily do college online, but I did do some extra courses through the school district, where I went to this school place, got a new book of reading material/homework and brought it home and did it. I had 6 months to do one book, but like Kacie said, I have procrastination issues, so left them all to last minute, and when it came time for the exam, I was so screwed because I had rushed through them all.

I also have a friend who is doing an English major online, and he loves it. So really I guess it depends on your willingness to do the work etc. Are you willing to put aside a few hours per day to do the work?

If your a procrastinator like me and Kacie.. I'd suggest when you do do it, turn off MSN, TH, keep your phone from you etc.

Good luck

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Online Degrees? - February 17th 2010, 12:12 PM

I'm not sure about the US but in the UK there's an online course thing called Open University. It's not as bad as the usual ones and our school's even giving us an opportunity to complete a module in a university degree.

I suggest asking a teacher at your school who's in charge of the university stuff. They might be able to recommend a legitimate one to you. If they can't then do some research and look at reviews for any online degree courses so you don't go on one that's not legitimate as then your degree might not actually be real.

Closed Thread