TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Thesis Sentences (urgent) - February 21st 2010, 08:28 PM

I have to write an analysis on a play (the topic is "discuss why the play is an effective play" and the real trouble I have is writing a thesis sentence. According to my teacher, I have to have an opinion in it. And the paper, she suggests that I discuss the characters in the play, setting, tone, etc and relate it to the central theme.

The play is about a young couple who aren't ready to have a child. The play is very complicating, so basically I write down some notes...so I know some things, but I don't know exactly what's going on.

Where would you begin? How would you set up your essay?

I'd really appreciate your help!!!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Thesis Sentences (urgent) - February 21st 2010, 08:46 PM

First off I would make sure I did understand the piece I was writing about. Perhaps Google the play, look for annotated versions or academic sites discussing the play. You may also find some papers or articles online discussing similar points of the play.

If you can't find anything, break the play into small sections tackling them one by one. Write individual notes and try to gain an understanding this way. Instead of reading it as one massive piece it may be easier to work out. At least I find so.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Thesis Sentences (urgent) - February 21st 2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
The Play About The Baby was an interesting play because of Albee’s effective use of character, tone, and point-of-view.

Would that be considered a good thesis sentence?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Thesis Sentences (urgent) - February 22nd 2010, 12:56 AM

I don't really understand american essays but does it not have to have a question or something like "Explore the ways in which Albee's use of character, tone and point-of-view effectively created an interesting play".

Oh and personally I'd change it to something like "Explore the methods Albee employs to engage the attention of the audience in his work The Play About The Baby".

And then in my essay talk about character, tone, point-of-view. But that's just me . Just that way if you ran out of things to say you could bring in other factors like language, symbolisim, imagery and stage directions.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Beth. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Re: Thesis Sentences (urgent) - February 22nd 2010, 12:59 AM

I think the best way to have a strong thesis is to just write the paper. You don't have to specifically have a thesis, write your paper. Don't stress over the thesis, and one will arrive without you noticing until you re-read and edit it.

When all your friends have come and gone,
And the sun no longer shines,
And the happiness for which you long is washed away like an ocean's tide,
When all the hard times outweigh the good,
And all your words are misunderstood,
When the day seems lost from the start
You must follow your heart,
You must follow your heart.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Thesis Sentences (urgent) - February 22nd 2010, 01:11 AM

A quote is a great introductory sentence. And you can build off the quote throughout your paper.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Thesis Sentences (urgent) - February 22nd 2010, 03:03 AM

I find that it's usually easier to just ignore the thesis sentence and write the paper as long as you know what you're going to write. Once it's all written, then construct the introduction and thesis sentence. This includes writing up the conclusion as once you have the conclusion, which summarizes your paper, you can then condense that into the thesis sentence in the beginning. In the thesis sentence though, try to state the central theme of the play, the author of the play, the name of the play and the literary elements you discuss, such as symbolism, characters, etc... . You may also want to mention the actual names of the characters within the thesis sentence especially if there are only a few characters you're discussing.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: Thesis Sentences (urgent) - February 22nd 2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth. View Post
I think the best way to have a strong thesis is to just write the paper. You don't have to specifically have a thesis, write your paper. Don't stress over the thesis, and one will arrive without you noticing until you re-read and edit it.
Exactly all throughout my four years of College, I'd focus on the body paragraphs first and then - at the very end slightly summarize what I'm addressing in the intro then completely summarizing it firmly as the conclusion. Hasn't failed me yet.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Thesis Sentences (urgent) - February 22nd 2010, 07:56 PM

Yeah, it's a good idea to just save the hardest part for last...but is it true that each body paragraph has to do with the thesis sentence? Or what's the deal with the first sentence with each body paragraph?

Closed Thread