TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make A Wish ☼
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lacey

I don't even know how to start? - March 17th 2010, 03:55 AM

Ugh okay. So I have this dream of what I want to do.
I've always thought it was jsut a pipe dream but, recent events have made me wonder.

I've always wanted to open my own Safe Haven. A place for teens to turn when they just don't know what to do anymore. A place for them to run away to when things are tough at home. Things like that. But, I don't even know where to start. What type of degree would I need for that. If I wanted it to be non-profit, how does that work? How would I make a living?
Ugh! I'm just so confused.
All my life I've wanted to be a teacher and now, all of a sudden, I don't want to be a teacher anymore.
Any help?

Life is to short to put it off anymore
You gotta live it before itís too late
I canít turn that clock back around
On what youíre dreaming about
You better do it now, donít wait

Do something crazy and dumb, while your still young. <3

Need to talk? I'm here. --->
  Send a message via MSN to *~Circus Clown~*  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I don't even know how to start? - March 17th 2010, 09:06 AM

Your safe heaven future business sounds like a very noble one and as for the degree, I think it'd matter on what is offered. If it's simply a shelter-like place that offers nothing other than a roof over the kids' heads, heat, water, electricity and clothing, much like a women's shelter, you're going to need money upfront to get the location, the legal inspections, legal bills/certificates to be approved for the building, etc... . This money can come through almost an infinite amount of possible ways. The degree should have some business or management because you want to run your own business, you should have the background. If you are going to offer other services, such as psychotherapy, if you're going to offer some, then you'll need the certificates and degrees necessary. The biggest problem then is marketing, which is why I think you should consider partnering with a pre-existing safe haven, otherwise it may not go well for you.

Unfortunately, this is likely to be a full-time devotion so you'll need a stable source of income both for yourself and to maintain the business. It may be easier to look into the local child psychiatric or first interventions and make some sort of partner with them, or better yet with an existing safe haven. This may lighten the load but it won't excuse the necessaty for you to have a stable, paying job. It could help with marketing in that the primary intervention group sends teens over to your safe haven or simply mentions it to them and encourages them to go when they need to.

Since you mentioned teacher, I think you could possibly combine it via school child counselor (may also require being a teacher too). Adding on the business I'd say only do it if it's somehow through the school, hospital/intervention program or join a similar pre-existing business as the work would be too much. If you make advertisements for other places, then perhaps you could negotiate a contract with each of those but the amount of money you'd get is highly questionable, if any (need to put in money for printing and designing).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: I don't even know how to start? - March 17th 2010, 08:57 PM

I've always wanted to do something like this as well, maybe we could do it together! :P

I think a variety of degrees would be OK.. One in counselling, social work, psychology, business, any academic subject. Although if you do a more academic subject then if it "fell through" then you could always be a teacher. Or start off as a teacher and then branch out and do this, that way you will have more experience with young people which would make people more likely to "approve" if you are recognised in that way.

Then after the degree I would go and do a counselling qualification kinda thing. You would need to set up a charity and try to get a fair amount of donations in order to fund it. Unless you could get an organisation to fund it like a "sponsor" I guess, that might be useful as well. However you will need some base money to start with, so you may have to work for a bit until you can do this.

Also, you won't be able to do this on your own. You will need a group of you in order to spread the load because it would be a lot for you to take on by yourself. Also for legal reasons you would need more than two overall (one male and one female) due to child protection laws so you will need to find others with a similar dream/vision, with the right "qualifications" who are willing to do it all voluntary. Hard to find - but there will be people I can guarantee it!

Let me know if you need anything and I'll try to help! I think it would be a great thing to do.
Take care.
Anna

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

Closed Thread