TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tangledupinblue Offline
Winner.
Welcome me, I'm new!

If I were looking for a career in Social Work...? - May 9th 2010, 12:58 AM

What kind of classes would I want to take in high school to prepare? Or what types of things look good? Honestly, any advice that would help me along the social work path would be amazing! I'm a little confused as of now, to say the least haha. Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: If I were looking for a career in Social Work...? - May 9th 2010, 02:42 AM

Hey there! I'm assuming, by the terminology you use, that you're in the United States. Basically, in the United States, classes in high school and even up into freshmen year of college are more or less "core curriculum" -- they typically have nothing to do with your major. Think about it - even if you wanted to take Human Sexuality, or Marriage and the Family, or Infant and Child Development, or Juvenile Delinquency or any of those other cool classes that most colleges DO offer, does your high school offer them? Right now, think of your time in high school as kind of building a schema (or a base of knowledge) to build off of once you DO start taking classes for your major. If your school offers and kind of psychology or sociology classes and *you have time and WANT to take the classes,* go for it. If not, it's not really a big deal. I just completed Psychology 101 (my freshmen year), and actually ended up doing just as well or even better in the class as some fellow students who had taken psychology/sociology in high school (I didn't..) - it's not really about what kind of classes you've taken, but rather how much time you're willing to spend on it once you DO get into college.

Most colleges DO have advisers - faculty members (often chairs or co-chairs of your major's department) who will advise you on what classes you can take. Some colleges have actual Social Work majors, where you can get a bachelor's degree IN social work as an undergraduate student, and others don't (but do have other similar majors such as Family Studies or Psychology), and students from colleges without the actual Social Work major often choose to go to graduate school and get a Master's degree or PhD.

Once you're accepted into a college, you usually don't have to do anything special to actually *declare* a major...you just have to work hard to actually obtain your degree once you've declared. So, don't stress too much, and just make sure you get into a school with the type of program you're looking for.

Good luck!

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: If I were looking for a career in Social Work...? - May 10th 2010, 02:29 AM

Your best bet would be to talk to your school guidance counselor, but if you'd like you can see if your school offers classes that can transfer to college credit, like AP classes, or Dual Credit classes. I'd recommend things like Psychology, or sociology, but Katrina is very correct, so just take classes now that you enjoy and that interest you

Closed Thread