TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ms. Music Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Question Internship - May 17th 2010, 03:07 AM

Hey,
So I have this big internship that is just huge for me. Yet for some reason I am so afraid to go. I am afraid I won't like it, or that I will mess up somehow. I am afraid of being away from the man I love and from my family. I know I can be independent and self sufficient; I have done it before. I just love them, I don't like to be away from them. I don't like the uncertainty. Have any of you done internships? Did you learn a lot? Were you really homesick? Do you think they will help you in your careers?
  Send a message via AIM to Ms. Music Send a message via Skype™ to Ms. Music 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Internship - May 18th 2010, 08:48 PM

Hi there,

I've done internships but never one where I couldn't live at home. I know people who have done the whole "leaving for an internship" thing and they have loved it.

Bottom line: what does this mean for you, and your future? You don't always get a second chance at amazing opportunities, so you have to take them while they're there. And not to sound cruel - you must do what is best for you, and for you alone. The people you are afraid of leaving behind all love you! They will wait for you, and support you and encourage you as you follow this path

I do understand what you're going through, really. If I was in this situation I would be pulling my hair out trying to make a decision! So maybe this bit of advice would be more helpful: if you get there and hate it, leaving is always an option...and at least that way you would know if you're missing anything.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Feather Offline
Average Joe

Name: Andrea

Re: Internship - May 19th 2010, 03:48 AM

What is the internship for and for how long? This might help us give you some more/better advice.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ms. Music Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Re: Internship - May 20th 2010, 03:32 AM

A political one in washington for 10 weeks
  Send a message via AIM to Ms. Music Send a message via Skype™ to Ms. Music 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Feather Offline
Average Joe

Name: Andrea

Re: Internship - May 20th 2010, 01:49 PM

Well, I think in that case that the internship would most likely help you alot with your future career, I"m sure you would learn tons... and 10 weeks isn't too bad right?

I'm sure it'll fly by

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Internship - May 20th 2010, 03:01 PM

I'd say go to the internship, if you don't like it you can always come back. It will help you a lot and I'm sure your family can visit you or you can visit them.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: Internship - June 1st 2010, 07:57 PM

I think internships depend on how old you are.

I was 21, 7 hours away by plane in the place I've always dreamed of living (California), and going to move there in fifteen days. I interned at Warner Brothers. I worked my ass off, I became a work-a-holic and even worked over the school year by continuing to update them every month. Now this summer I'm heading back behind the back lot where I'll stay, roam around, and hopefully mid-year land a paying gig. They have my back, somewhat feel like second father-figures to me and to be honest - they're the only reason my fears about the future are partially non-existent.

Then again, I was 21 with graduation approaching the following year from college and I am able to go back, swing around and land a job. That's why I say - I think it depends on your age. You can always learn. But, around the end of college is when internships really help because they aid you in landing the job or having it within reach.

"Maybe I just like people. Maybe sexuality isn't one thing or the other. Maybe it's just something that's shifting and moving. I just know I'm not thinking man or woman."
- SHAMELESS.

Closed Thread