TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Study Habit Problems - May 25th 2010, 01:08 AM

So ... Taking summer classes.

For some reason I have a harder time focusing in the summer. I take too many breaks and fill ill-motivated to keep on studying.

I'm holding an internship as well so I must get on my game.

If you have any tips on staying focused, I could use them!

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Naomi. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Naomi

Re: Study Habit Problems - May 26th 2010, 08:31 AM

I do a few things, they might work for me and not other people but I don't know xD
Firstly, make sure you study in a place where you can't get distracted (this might involve moving out of your bedroom) and also move anything like Facebook away...that's a killer for getting no work done!
Secondly, I sometimes find that having a movie on in the background can really help me get down and work as I can't be bothered to pause the film so I end up working for an hour and a half! (this may well only work for me xD)
Thirdly, manage your time! 45 minutes work, 15 minutes break is quite a good ratio, maybe you'd do better with a different one but make sure that your 15 minute breaks don't turn into an hour! Also, in your breaks, try not to just sit online but go out and do something active! Maybe a short jog or a bounce on a trampoline (if you have one!)
Maybe set goals and treats for yourself (if I get to the end of page three, I can have an ice lolly etc) this should help keep you motivated!
When it's nice weather, it can really help to study outside. This way, you won't feel resentful that you're missing out on the lovely weather so it's more likely to make you work.
Finally, make sure that you're eating and sleeping properly as well as drinking enough. Healthy body=healthy mind!

Good luck with everything, I hope it works out for you :]

Dream ♥

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Study Habit Problems - May 26th 2010, 08:58 AM

Hey Lily.

Like Naomi, I like setting goals and giving myself rewards if I get them. For example, 'For every five questions I get right, I'll give myself a piece of chocolate'. Or whatever works for you. Just try not to just, say, promise yourself a break once you finish a page of work and then rush through the work to get the break, because that's kind of counter-productive.

Also, people tend to work better if they don't work for long. You usually do your best work in the first ten or so minutes, so try not to try and work for hours at a time. Make sure you take plenty of breaks (and make sure your breaks don't go for too long). Personally, when I know that I can have a break soon, I'll be more tempted to work hard than if I know I have to keep working for another two hours.

Stay away from distractions! I know that sounds obvious, but it's a trap so many people fall into. Study in a quiet place, away from the television and computer and anything else that might distract you. As Naomi said, studying outside, in a quiet place in your backyard, for example, might be worthwhile, so you can enjoy the weather and get your work done at the same time.

Find what study technique works for you. Some people write page long summaries, while others do dot points to learn the same thing; some people like lists, and others like mindmaps. Do whatever works. Also, I know I said stay away from distractions, but you may find that if you have any friends doing the same classes as you, studying with them might help. Let's face it, studying with friends can be a lot less boring than studying by yourself.

With your breaks, try and do things that won't take too long. I know that I have to avoid going on the computer in my breaks, because I get so distracted and keep saying 'Just a few more minutes', then suddenly I'm running an hour behind schedule. Go for a short walk, read a book for a few minutes, whatever you like. And make sure you set time limits, otherwise you'll find yourself making excuses to have longer breaks.

I also have to say that you should definitely try and eat properly, sleep well, and exercise regularly. All those things can improve your concentration and focus.

Finally, try and keep your goals in mind. If you hope to get a certain mark in a course or subject, for example, just remind yourself of that goal every time you feel yourself slacking off.

I wish you all the best!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread