TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Leatherneck2B Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Joining the military - February 11th 2009, 05:07 AM

Im a future marine destened for Paris Island Recruit Depot, SC. Everyday that date gets closer, and i get more nervous. I joined this site to talk out my nerves. Although I talk to my fiencee as much as possable about it, I find i can never get enough support no matter how many people i talk to. So if your considering joing the military or are alredy on your way, or even if you you know wt its like to be nervous about a major life step id like to hear from you.
  Send a message via MSN to Leatherneck2B  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Joining the military - February 11th 2009, 11:12 AM

Hi there.

I'm not joining the military or anything, but I did want to praise you for your extreme bravery at this time. I talked to a friend of mine, Corey, on the telephone the day before he left for Iraq, and I think he was pretty much beyond nervousness. So, when we were talking, and I asked if he was nervous, he just replied in this eerie calm, "It's just war. What's there to be nervous about?" Kind of spooky, but cool, I guess. I can relate to being nervous about something big, though [and just watch, you're going to consider this a very baby step], since I'm beginning college in a few months - I still have no idea where I'd like to go. o_O But, good luck. I don't think you should regret this, because it was probably exactly what you wanted at some point or another.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Leatherneck2B Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Joining the military - February 12th 2009, 12:26 AM

Thanks so much for your support. Thats all a service member can ask for. As for your college, i went for a semester before i considered the Corps. All i can offer you is dont be afraid to be embarassed to ask stupid questions. I tried to play it all cool and do it on my own, and it quickly overwhelmed me. I relly dont know what kinda step this will be i only hope that this one wont overwhelm me as well.
  Send a message via MSN to Leatherneck2B  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
becky Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Joining the military - February 12th 2009, 12:33 AM

my older brother recently got back from his third and final tour in Iraq.

It took his toll on him, but lets consider his life before and after. Before, he barely graduated highschool, wasn't planning on college, was unhappy, still lived at home, and couldnt afford to eat lunch at McDonalds.

after? He's happier, owns a 4 bedroom house (he's 21), has a steady income and a dozen career opportunies. He has two cars, and is planning on getting a motercycle.

he once told me in a letter, war was like .. when your sleeping and you wake up 15 minutes before your alarm clock is to go off, and your like, dozing in and out of sleep, dreading when the alarm blasts in your ear.. knowing it's coming any second.

so thats just my two cents
  Send a message via AIM to becky  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
7thCavalry Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: Joining the military - February 12th 2009, 01:05 AM

Marines???!?!? Well, Everyone makes mistakes.

But as you might tell, I'm currently active U.S. Army, 19 Delta M.O.S. I've been deployed to Iraq three times, Been shot twice *it hurt like a mofo* Been ripped off quite a few times. But still darn proud of Uncle Sam.

-All I can say is that boot camp on the island will be a LIVING HELL. Not to discourage you. But you HAVE to be mentally and physically tough.

Yes the USMC has a tougher training then the Army, I won't deny that. But PT *Phsical Training* Will BECOME your best friend while in the Marines.

You will wake up with in the 3rd week of being there and you will not be able to wait for when the SDI *Senior Drill Instructor* comes in and says "Get ready for PT maggots!"

-Its good that your nervous. It will keep you on edge for the first day.

Good luck, and I'll PM you my number if you want to talk about things before you ship out. Just ask.

And remember Leather neck, GET SOME!!!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Joining the military - February 12th 2009, 01:35 AM

I would join the navy but I am disqualified by having asthma. Aww well !!

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
Closed Thread