TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PvPredator Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jason

Joining the AirForce.... - June 14th 2010, 12:23 AM

Its been a dream of mine since as long as I can remember.
I want to do anything related to computers In the airforce, Ive been around computers since I was like 8 yrs old. 18 years old now and I have been trying to join for ever.

My dream was to get my first degree in computer science, then take ROTC and then go directly Into the airforce. go back to college and get my doctorate degree In computer science and spend the rest of my natural life In the airforce...

What a dream huh? well Im 18 yrs old and I dont see that happening.
Its little things that stop me from doing so, financial problems, acne,small dental problems, can be fixed in 1 trip, and a small weight problem.

weighing at roughly [edited] as far as I can see, for my height and age I cannot weigh more than [edited] Excersising Is a time problem, I dont have the time to excersise.

To be honest I dont really know why I signed up with this site, I guess just to talk about what my dream used to be.

Ive got a job now, working at a hotel and love the job. but at $7.50 an hour, I dont see me joining the airforce anytime soon.

My step brothers, Jimmy and Doug, are the ones that Inspired me to join the airforce. I see one of them living a good life, He recently bought a custom made harley davidson and paid cash for It. owns a house and got married and having a baby. he met his wife bungy jumping off a bridge..

so I wont be replying to this until tomorrow proly, I am working until 4:00 tomorrow morning(another 9 hours to go)

Last edited by .Brittany.; June 14th 2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight figures anywhere on TeenHelp

(#2 (permalink)) Old
distance Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Joining the AirForce.... - June 14th 2010, 03:04 AM

I'm kinda in a similar situation- except I want to join the Coast Guard.

I can't give you too many tips (like I said, I'm in a similar situation), but I can say this: For losing weight, switch up your diet and eat healthier- it can shed some pounds and can also help with acne (limiting my sugar did WONDERS for my skin!) I work 6 hours a day and manage to find time to get in 4 hours of training in (A three hour session in the morning and an hour in the evening, I'm a very competitive athlete). My job is also pretty strenuous. I still eat healthy and avoid processed foods/excess sugar. In addition, I'm also studying over the summer to place out of a class (I'll be a HS senior next year). I'm only 16, and there are a lot of odds against me, but I MAKE it work and I know you can too!

You're only 18, you still have plenty of time to get your life together! Start out at a community college to get basics and then transfer into a university to get your degree. I'm not sure about how to get in the air force (I'm just starting to understand the coast guard process) after that, but getting a degree is a start! I know the coast guard accepts newbies up to age 32 (or something like that) and I'm sure the air force academy is something similar.

-Distance
PS- I think it's very cool you want to join the air force! I definitley can relate to that feeling of being "called for duty". To me, the Coast Guard seems like something I was MADE to do. I applaud you for that!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Joining the AirForce.... - June 14th 2010, 09:52 PM

That is a great dream and one that can be met with hard work as well.

For weight try to just work out a little bit at first. For example, walk the stairs instead of using say an elevator.

For your skin you can keep in mind that at our age it is NOT an uncommon problem and I could be wrong, but I do not see them holding that Against you.

As for money, the government will actually pay for your schooling if you are in the service.

Overall, do NOT let those little things hold you back.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
jellyfish Offline
No Rest For The Wicked
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Joining the AirForce.... - June 14th 2010, 10:23 PM

I dont know how it works in the US but I expect its along the same lines...

UK pay you to do all your training, you get a dental plan thing which should all be free, may even sort your skin out, and you'll lose weight with the fitness they require!

Personally I see that nothing is holding you back... they should basically supply you with everything you need, accomodation, food etc etc. Definatley during your training period.

Go for it!!

She flies with her
own wings

(#5 (permalink)) Old
KittySummer Offline
Kitty
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kitty

Re: Joining the AirForce.... - June 17th 2010, 12:01 AM

It seems like you have all the heart to join in the Air Force, and I don't see why you can't enlist if it's your dream. On the website for the Air force [or perhaps it's on another military-related website, I'm not sure to be honest] you can find out what physical requirements are needed to pass the Physical Training Exam. It'll tell you, according to your age, how quickly you need to run two miles and how many situps you have to do in an allotted amount of time. Once you get in the general area of those, I don't see why you can't enlist!

Money shouldn't be too big of an issue. I'm not sure if the military buys your plane ticket to go wherever you need to go for basic training, but during all of basic you do earn a paycheck. If they don't, just put side $10 or $15 a week until someday you'll have enough for plane tickets.

Also, on the national guards' website you can find excersizes they do in Basic Training to get you in shape fast. If you want me to try and find the link for you, just send me a message on here. I'd be more than happy to help you! Good luck, I hope you can eventually follow your dream!
  Send a message via AIM to KittySummer  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
PvPredator Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Joining the AirForce.... - June 17th 2010, 01:31 AM

well I am about 3 hours away of where I would go for basic training for the airforce, I was told It Is In san antonio texas, I can get there in a heart beat. but there are few other problems that are holding me back, the lack of transportation Is the main thing. I dont even have my permit yet due to the fact that It took me 2 and a half years to get my state ID, now I have to work towards that.

on top of that I need to have my diploma from what I was told, because only 7% of americans that try to enter the military with only a G.E.D accually make It, thats coming from a recruiter himself.

Ive thought of testing to get my G.E.D. real fast and take 1 semester of college or like 15 credit hours, then going directly into ROTC.

one of my main questions Is do I need to have a degree to go into ROTC or while Im in ROTC i will get one? I want to go into the airforce as officer, I was told after I get at least 1 degree In what I am doing then that will happen. or do I just take ROTC?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PvPredator Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Joining the AirForce.... - June 17th 2010, 09:51 PM

So just to screw with me so much further, there Is a chance I may be losing my job.
I might just be paranoid but I feal like everyone all of a sudden want me dead,(out of the building lol)

I dont mean to sound rude or anything but are there any sites like this that are more active? im used to people replying within 15-30 minutes of posting something, need someone to talk to. dont know how to explain It really lol.

what all else is there to do on teenhelp.org aside of just talk? anything?

I'm In Love With Love!

Closed Thread