TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bishougen Offline
<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Helen

Anxiety over getting a part-time job - February 13th 2009, 12:03 AM

I know this sounds a bit pathetic but I'm in my second year of uni and never really had a proper job. By proper I mean writing a resume, going to an interview and all that. See for the past 4 years I've worked in a family business so i never had to go through that process. The only other job I've had was with my then sleazy boss who didn't even ask for a resume. At first I thought I was lucky to be picked for the job at all, he owned a private business so most of the time i was working alone with him. Turned out the guy was a complete perv with loose hands, kept insisting that I go out and buy him dinner and told alot of explicit jokes. I quit when he told me he hoped my future husband would beat me for him. The whole experience left me ashamed and anxious. I never want to work for anyone like that again. Now I'm in a position where I need to find a job as soon as possible, but I feel kinda nervous about it. I figure most people my age would have far more experience looking for a job than I do. Can I actually afford to be picky about my jobs? Does anyone out there have any tips?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Anxiety over getting a part-time job - February 13th 2009, 12:34 AM

In America. You're lucky if you even have a real job. What kind of job are you looking for. I've worked in a pizzaria and at Taco Bell for a good amount of time. I'm currently supported by someone else thankfully right now. The first one was horrible... I called the labor board, it was totally illegal, and I was treated horribly. Taco Bell was great.

I think it's time for you to get some experience under your belt for the future, that way you'll have a degree and a few job experiences.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Bishougen Offline
<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Helen

Re: Anxiety over getting a part-time job - February 13th 2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
In America. You're lucky if you even have a real job. What kind of job are you looking for. I've worked in a pizzaria and at Taco Bell for a good amount of time. I'm currently supported by someone else thankfully right now. The first one was horrible... I called the labor board, it was totally illegal, and I was treated horribly. Taco Bell was great.

I think it's time for you to get some experience under your belt for the future, that way you'll have a degree and a few job experiences.
Well I think the only ones I'm qualified for are in retail. I've actually got an interview today so fingers are crossed. Not sure if I'm gonna get it though as I've applied for others before. Unfortunately I don't have the flexible hours many of them are looking for.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Persephone Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anxiety over getting a part-time job - February 13th 2009, 01:25 AM

Well, first off a good place to look for a job is at your Uni - they often have jobs there and they work around your schedule. At the moment I work two jobs as well as going to school. I guess I was pretty picky with them, but I'm in specialty genres of work, so it's a little different. All you can do is apply to as many places as you find and just be cheerful and polite in the interviews. Practice answering questions before you go in, with a friend if someone can help you. But mostly just stay calm - employers like to see someone who holds themself together when their in a stressful situation.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
big_nosed_ninja Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: melanie

Re: Anxiety over getting a part-time job - February 15th 2009, 11:49 PM

Preseph is right. Look at your university and see what they have to offer, generally they'll have a career service program where they sort of help 'push' you along, if they don't you may have to look around your university. it's quite harmless, really. job interviews and such seem really intense (i know i had my very first one at age 17 and i'm only 19) i've had at least 5 different jobs in the last three years. i have two right now, one at my school as a tutor, the other as a waitress at a sushi resaurant right next to my school.

you were in a pretty 'lucky' spot to find the job that you did with that guy. that's why you need to be really careful and make sure you 'research' where you apply to. you're young so you don't need anything too fancy, but you want a job that's going to pay well and small businesses, or privately owned businesses will try and cheat, whether it be personal or financial they will, so you have to be careful.

when it comes to preparing, you mainly need three things, your resume, your cover letter (if you feel you need it) and your confidence. your resume doesn't need to be impressive, just make sure its clean and easy to read. if you think you need a cover letter, it should be simple and to the point, "i'm applying you this job application because..." list why, leave your contact info, tell them you'll call to make an appointment, and done! cover letters are mostly for professional jobs, though, so just worry about your resume right now.
  Send a message via AIM to big_nosed_ninja  
Closed Thread