TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Time Management? - July 7th 2010, 04:58 AM

So, I was just in chat talking about time management and all the stuff I have to get done :P And I thought maybe I'd just make a thread out of it.

So, anyway, I have a shitload of stuff to do. I have a semester's worth of math I'd like to get done before August (because in August I'm going to go see my love <33) and I also need to be enrolling in the community college soon after. I also need to have some stuff done to apply for college next year.

Any tips or tricks for time management and staying focused?

Thanks!

~Cody

Normal User

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Time Management? - July 7th 2010, 06:37 AM

Always write things down either on a calender, agenda or notes, preferably in a place where others can see it so they can help you stay focused and give proper reminders. For me, I put important stuff on the calender in the kitchen where my parents can see it as well as making little notes for myself in my room for myself only. I've always found it's better to allot yourself more time for something for two reasons. First, if things are harder, then you're not screwing up your time. Second, if you finish early, you can have the remaining time for a break or to start the next thing, and it feels rewarding to finish ahead of schedule. Others like to do the opposite and allot themselves less time in order to keep them focused, which also seems to work.

Staying focused also involves determination and setting realistic goals. For myself, if I want to finish a lab report, that's my ultimate goal but I'm going to have sub-goals, such as researching similar studies for references in my discussion and introduction. You always need to be determined, which can be hard if it's for something boring or that you are terribly confused over. In that case, I stay determined by wanting to get the damn thing finished with a good mark and to understand the material. For me it's always rewarding when once I'm finished, I can better understand the topic, and is something that keeps me determined for the most boring stuff. If it's interesting, then I don't consider it a chore, it seems fun for certain courses or whatever the activity is.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Time Management? - July 7th 2010, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the advice =D I've tried creating a calendar and schedule with deadlines for myself and everything. Going to see how that works out over the next few days. Hopefully it'll help smooth things out a bit =]

Anyone else have any ideas?

~Cody

Normal User

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Time Management? - July 7th 2010, 11:55 AM

Take it one step at a time. Do not try to push yourself too hard, but do remember you do not have much time left, so you need to stick to those deadlines. I know you said you were going back packing so that will take a few days. One tip may be to do some work while you are waiting like at appointments. Also, as you are on TH staff taking leave may be a good idea.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PianoGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandra

Re: Time Management? - July 8th 2010, 11:01 PM

It really helps me to make a list! I have a list of ongoing things that I want to accomplish that I save as a Word Document. I refer to it every so often to update it and keep track of what I've accomplished.

I also have a a day-to-day list. I always have so much going through my brain that I find it easier to make lists #1 So that I don't forget anything but also #2 So that I can focus my brain power on getting things done instead of trying to remember things that I have to do AFTER!

Prioritize what needs to get completed first and just start from there!

Good Luck
  Send a message via AIM to PianoGirl  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Time Management? - July 8th 2010, 11:05 PM

Also consider giving the list letters. For things that NEED to get done A what you want to get B and what you would like to get done C Do the A things first. As you get them done move to B and C.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Time Management? - July 10th 2010, 10:32 PM

Something you might want to try, (I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, I just quickly scanned the replies) is to set *false* deadlines. (Yes, this was mentioned in the FCRD but it was a good idea)
So say you had a paper or assignment or whatever you guys call it due in on Friday, you could set a personal deadline for Tuesday or Wednesday so that you have time to go over it and make sure you can get it in. (My problem usually was that I tried to print essays the day they were due and it didn't work )
Also make sure when you get your work you have to do, that you go over it and make sure you fully understand it so you have time to ask for help if you need it instead of going in the day before it's due and saying 'I don't understand this'. Teachers don't appreciate being asked at the last minute
Good luck with it anyway

~ Nat

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

Closed Thread