TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rednailpolish92 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Question College.... Ugh - July 13th 2010, 01:44 PM

so, although i still have 1 year left of highschool... i am still looking to find a college early. one of the colleges i am looking at, my boyfriend is attending (we are on a couple-month break right now, so it makes me wary of any plans with him, but i dont want to wait too long). i want to go there... i like the campus and stuff, and was planning on moving in with him to an on-campus apartment, its cheap etc. however, i have a 3.9 GPA and feel like i could do better. he got in with a 1.6. so, another of my choices is a private college that i like as well... it has a beautiful campus, a great study abroad program... its right across the city from the college my bf is at. buttt, since its private, itll cost A LOT of money. but, its a good school... what do i do??? should i go for the security and inexpensiveness of a public school, or the prestige of a private school?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: College.... Ugh - July 16th 2010, 04:37 AM

Well, I am wary of private schools because my sister had over a 4.0 and had a large scholarship, but she still is in a lot of debt with no full time job after graduating from a well-known private college. Instead of just going to any public school, I'd try to go to a well-known one.

Do you have a general idea of what you want to study? If you want something like sciences, I would look for a school with a tough science program or one known for education. I wouldn't go there because the school overall is well-known as some majors may be crap majors.

I would also look at more schools than just two. I wouldn't count on the boyfriend, especially when you are in a break. I'd look for a college you would want to do no matter where it is. I also wouldn't move in with him freshman year because a lot can happen and you may be stuck with him for the entire year if you break up.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: College.... Ugh - July 16th 2010, 09:41 AM

I'm not quite sure how your system works, but over here entry requirements aren't usually a reliable indicator of the standards of the course - they're more an indicator of the course's popularity. For example, while I haven't got my results back I'm planning to get 500-550. The electronics course I'm doing has a requirement of 350, while something in say physical education has a minimum of about 480 for entry. Logically I should be trying to "get the most out of" my points, but in reality the electronics course simply throws out half its students after two years and gives you a better degree in a field more likely to get you a job. You really have to do a bit of research into what the course gives you before you can decide.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: College.... Ugh - July 17th 2010, 10:04 PM

I am going to a private school, and although I will likely be in some debt upon finishing I really liked the campus and it had the two programs I wanted, but then again I am forced to go private because I wanted a Christian school.

The school your boyfriend goes too does seem like a school that is whether easy to get in as most require a 2.0 at least.

If you feel you can do better and you really like the private school I would consider it . Many schools public and private alike offer aide in some cases full scholarships.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: College.... Ugh - July 17th 2010, 10:09 PM

Given your high GPA you would get a scholarship to the public one. Would you also get one for the private one? If so, then that can reduce the costs and make it more financially feasible.

Look at the colleges and universities that not only are good in general but are good in the area you like. Ignore the boyfriend when deciding this because it's your education that you are deciding, not his. You have a much higher GPA than he does so attending to a place that is boring to you due to it not being challenging isn't something you want if you want to learn. Decide all your plans without him in it because first-year college is pretty tough and if his GPA is that low, he may not make it or may not do well. You don't want that dragging you down by moving in with him.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: College.... Ugh - July 17th 2010, 10:42 PM

College decisions are very complex. I have just graduated high school and will be attending university in September. Let me tell you, I'm probably one of the most indecisive people you will ever know. It took me a long time deciding where to apply, which university to choose, which residence building to choose, and now, which courses to choose. I can't even begin to explain how many times I've changed my timetable in the last month and a half.

I was put in a similar situation - essentially, it was A) smaller, less-prestigious university with an adequate social life and campus activities with a large scholarship vs. B) bigger, prestigious university with a phenomenal social life and campus activities with a smaller scholarship. I ended up choosing B) and I don't regret my decision. Sure it'll be more competitive and more expensive but, in my opinion, it was worth it. It was the best decision I could make and I'm happy I selected the school that I did.

However, that may not be the case for you and that's something to be cautious of. I'd advise against going to that public college for one reason and one reason only - your ex/boyfriend goes there. I can't stress this enough: do not pick a college because of a significant other. And he got in with a 1.6? I'm telling you, you will not fit in there. I don't mean that in an offensive way to those who attend that public college but you want to grow and learn while in college, while challenging yourself. A more prestigious college, perhaps, with a high caliber of students may help you do that more than this public college would.

This is the time where you need to make decisions for yourself - not for your ex/boyfriend, parents, friends, teachers, etc. I learned this lesson the hard way and it gave me many headaches. People are going to tell you to do all sorts of things. Practically everybody I know - my parents, friends, friends' parents, some teachers - were saying that I should live at home for university and save the thousands of dollars I'd spend on residence. I knew this was not what I wanted to do and I selected a university that is two and a half hours away from where I live. I felt this was the right decision for me.

You need to do what you feel is best for you. Remember, though, it's not the college you attend that determines whether you'll be successful or not, it's you. You define your life and ultimately, it's up to you to make your life all that you want it to be. You must not ever forget that.

SUP BRO.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: College.... Ugh - July 20th 2010, 03:38 AM

Another factor is that some programs may be easy to get into and others not so much. Anyone can go to my school, but very few can participate in my programs.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
King of D Devil
Average Joe

Name: Wonderboy

Re: College.... Ugh - July 20th 2010, 10:00 AM

take my advice come to India
there are lot of colleges

the world
is just
awesome

Send a message via MSN to King Of Iron Fist Send a message via Yahoo to King Of Iron Fist Send a message via Skype™ to King Of Iron Fist 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: College.... Ugh - July 20th 2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Iron Fist View Post
take my advice come to India
there are lot of colleges
And lots of graduates coming from India. Your degree wouldn't be valued as highly as if you got one in the West.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: College.... Ugh - July 20th 2010, 09:39 PM

Truthfully, you shouldn't base what college you go to just by requirements to get in. You need to look into the programs they offer etc.

Some private schools cost more money and don't offer as great of a program as public and vice versa. If you have a general idea of what you want to study you need to look at the programs each college offers.

For example, I live next to a public school and it has a very good program for teaching. There is a private school around here too but the teaching program isn't as great. So most people who want to go into teaching choose the public school.

While looking into colleges I have learned (and I am sure you will learn with time) that just because they are private doesn't mean they are better. You have to enter into a school that meets your interests and needs.

I hope this helped and if you need anything feel free to use teenhelps many resources.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread