TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Stressed Out Over School...Help? - July 27th 2010, 03:39 PM

Hey guys...this is my first time ever taking college summer classes, which I had to do in order to keep my job (as I work for the university I attend).

I am taking COM 101 and CS 202 - that's an intro to speaking class and the second half of an intro to C++ programming. I also work 20 hours a week.

Part of the stress is the schedule itself, which is as follows for Monday through Friday:
7:30 AM - 9:30 AM: Work
9:40 AM - 11:10 AM: CS 202
11:20 AM - 12:50 PM: COM 101
1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Work

They are all on opposite sides of campus - our campus is basically a rectangle, imagine one in front of you that's a tall rectangle as opposed to a long one. Work is at the bottom left corner. CS 202 is at the top right corner. COM 101 is at the bottom right corner. I have to drive to CS 202 and back, and I'm always having to leave that class early - even though I told my COM 101 teacher I would be late he locks his door after class starts and then there's nowhere to sit down when someone finally opens it for me.

Then there's the homework. COM 101 is extremely stressful in the homework department. Topics for our speeches are chosen Friday - complete outlines of our speeches that we are not permitted to change once we hand in are due Monday. This teacher requires real book research, which means hours of sitting in a library taking notes. Which is what I spend my entire weekend doing, just doing research so I can come up with an 8 minute speech before Monday. Monday night (and Tuesday night, sometimes Wednesday night) are spent with my study group, practicing our speeches for hours. After we're all done with our speeches we scramble around trying to find a new topic to give a speech on so the teacher can approve it the next day in class. Sounds bad, right? But I still have all my CS 202 homework to do - programs which require me to be on the computer coding (and are fairly easy, they're due at midnight so I can do them late at night and send them in), and homework assignments (which are out of the textbook, are extremely difficult, and must be handed in during class). I've already forgotten about one, and got singled out in front of the class for it.

I wasn't stressed out until midterm week (last week), though - COM 101 midterm Monday, COM 101 speech on Tuesday, or so I thought but the teacher forgot about me, so then COM 101 speech Wednesday, CS 202 midterm Thursday, got back the CS 202 midterm Friday and saw I failed it, got the COM 101 speech and midterm grade back and got B's on both of them.

To top all this off, last week was the week the plumbing was being replaced in my house. It's a long story, but it really needed to be done and had been planned out 2 months in advance. So I wasn't even home - I was living in a hotel room with my parents, and the basketball team was staying there and was dribbling the ball over our heads all night, and the people in the room next to us threw parties at random hours. I don't think I got any sleep. The weekend before that instead of researching my speech I had to move every piece of furniture we own into the only corner of our house that wasn't being torn up, and this weekend I had to help move it all back. I'm back in my house now, but I had the most work done in my room and since they broke my shower handle and accidentally put a mark on my ceiling they're still in and out all the time trying to fix it. Even on the weekends I have to wake up around 6 because of that. And I have terrible insomnia, so falling asleep before midnight is next to impossible for me.

When it gets to the end of the day I just want to collapse on my bed but I can't, because if I do then I won't finish my homework. And my mother usually still has a ton of chores for me to do, and now I have to find time to study for CS so I get at least a C in the class (otherwise the university makes me retake it).

This is the second to last week of this nightmarish schedule, but I'm on the verge of a total breakdown. I've been seeing my chiropractor twice a week to get rid of the tension in my neck, I've tried playing tennis with a friend of mine that lives really close right before bed, I've tried to take some time to just relax and lay down on my bed. But nothing works! How do I get rid of this awful stress load?

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Stressed Out Over School...Help? - July 31st 2010, 06:29 PM

Schooling, is definitely more important then work, so maybe you could cut back how much you work? like cut it down to maybe 12-15 hours per week? I understand that it could be hard to do both, but in the end, school is what matters most, because it helps you get a better job in the future!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread