TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Careers, colleges, and jobs. (Oh my. D:) - August 14th 2010, 03:04 AM

I have a few questions which I will ask in their respective order from my title.

Careers:
I'm extremely good at math (like really really good at it), but I also have a deep interest in psychology. I've been doing some research, and it just doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of job settings that would involve both. I realize that psychology requires math skills, but my skills are probably already way further ahead than they need to be for basic things. I want challenge, but I'm starting to get the feeling I can't be in a challenging mathematical atmosphere and still get to do things with psychology.

Colleges:
This really isn't about colleges so much as standardized tests that colleges look at. When it comes to the PSAT/NMSQT/SAT, how in the world does timing work out? Like when do you take all of them? I know people who've taken a PSAT at the beginning of sophomore year, the end of sophomore year, and the summer before junior year. I know I'll take my NMSQT at the beginning of junior year, but then SATs present a problem. I'm planning on taking the SAT twice, and am wondering what people would consider the best time to take their first SAT. I know I'll take my second and final SAT at the beginning of my senior year, but I'm confused on how I should plan taking my first one (start of junior year, end of junior year, summer before senior year). I'm going to be doing five AP tests along with a final for a class that's literally beyond AP level, so I'm a bit concerned about the end of my junior year, to say the least.

Jobs:
With my turning 16 in a bit less than 3 months and then getting my driver's license about two weeks later, I'm going to be able to not only apply for a whole heck of a lot more jobs, but also have the means to get to the job much easier than if a parent were to have to drive me. I guess I'm a bit anxious about starting to apply and interview for jobs, as I've never had a job before. I'm an extremely motivated, ambitious, and bright person, but I have absolutely no clue how the heck I'm supposed to convey that in an application or interview. I really don't know how the whole job application process even works. Places I'm thinking of applying to would be: Barnes&Noble, GameStop, PacSun, Old Navy, and (if worst comes to worst) Hot Topic. I guess just any general tips and stuff for applying for jobs would be lovely, especially if applicable to any of the places I'm going to apply to.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Careers, colleges, and jobs. (Oh my. D:) - August 14th 2010, 03:42 AM

Can't really help you on the 1st and 3rd, I'm also really good at math but I'm in a major that requires it and I can't find a job worth shit, so...

As far as standardized tests go, I took the PSAT sophomore and junior years -- only the junior year test counted for national merit. I took the ACT spring semester of junior year and the SAT the summer before senior year. As long as you take the ACT/SAT during junior year or early the summer after, you should be ready to apply for early decision in the fall.

Personally, I found the PSAT incredibly easy (apparently most people didn't), and thought the ACT was easier and more pleasant to take than the SAT. I'd definitely recommend taking it instead of or in addition to the SAT.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Re: Careers, colleges, and jobs. (Oh my. D:) - August 14th 2010, 03:46 AM

Also, I'd recommend prioritizing your studying for AP tests. Certain subjects (Calc BC, Physics, Chem, etc.) can be very nice to earn AP credit for -- often, intro classes in these subjects are boring, difficult "weed-out" courses that are great to place out of. AP Gov or US History, on the other hand, just gets you out of an easy gpa-boosting social sciences course.

You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Careers, colleges, and jobs. (Oh my. D:) - August 14th 2010, 03:33 PM

OK. I'm only answering the testing questions.
The PSAT was the biggest waste of time. I didn't get the results for three months, and I had already taken my SAT. The PSAT wasn't like the SAT at all. It was the biggest waste of time and money. Don't take it.
I took the SAT in January. I got my highest score, even though it was half way through my junior year. Don't take the one in May. I've heard it's so crowded. It takes longer because of all the paperwork. I took the one in June. Figure out when you school gets out, because that might play a role.
As for ACT, do it. Whenever you can. I got a really good score the weekend after school ended.
AP tests, you need to be able to write three essays in a row. It takes hand endurance. It also is something you need to be able to do mentally. By the 3rd essay, I was like, I'm done! I don't want to do this anymore. It's more difficult than it seems
Good luck on all your testing!!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Re: Careers, colleges, and jobs. (Oh my. D:) - August 14th 2010, 05:12 PM

I agree that the PSAT is a waste of time in terms of preparing you for the SAT. National merit scholarships are nice though! I ended up getting $4000 a year from that test, and it probably helped me get into my school in the first place.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Careers, colleges, and jobs. (Oh my. D:) - August 15th 2010, 12:22 AM

You are right in the psychology career you won't get that math challenge at my school for the psychology career you only need the basic math course with is algebra/pre-calculus but that is not a challenge you want. Have you ever considered looking at other careers of math challenges such as engineering? I’m currently in my second year in engineering and believe me you do get challenged a lot in math.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

Closed Thread