TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shaytun Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dariush

Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 06:49 AM

Last year my friend took advanced Chemistry.
He paid this A+ student for rights to copy his homework. On final day we all sat together and he paid the kid double to simply do the final for him. I witnessed the transaction.
The kid got an A in a kickass course like advanced chem.

Should I speak up? Even though this was last year?

I am the stone that the builder refused.

Last edited by Gaia; August 23rd 2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Moved to Education and Careers [:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 05:36 PM

What happened was definitely wrong. Your friend cheated, plain and simple. Although it was a year ago, he still cheated and ended up with a grade that would differ to his own, if he did it himself. I suppose it's up to you whether to tell a professor about this. It could change his life, as in, where he is in school/college. But he is more than likely in a higher place now, than where he would be. So he could be where he's not fairly meant to be. (I hope that made sense!)

It's down to you whether you want to speak up about this or not. Speaking to your friend wouldn't really make a difference, but if you did speak up, he probably wouldn't be your friend any more. But I think it would be doing the right thing.

If you need to speak about this a little more, feel free to message me. Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 05:41 PM

It is worth a shot. Then the professors and administration staff can go from there. It will help if you have some sort of proof. But if you can get others that know about this to come with you, the better chances you have.

At the end of the day it isn't going to benefit him because he isn't going to be able to pay someone the rest of his life to get the answer he needs in college.

Do what you feel is right

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 06:41 PM

Definitely wrong but I wouldn't speak up, you'd potentially ruin both their academic careers as well as committing social suicide.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 07:05 PM

i wouldn't say anything. it's not your place to get involved.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 07:17 PM

It happened last year the grade can't be changed and it will probably ruin your friendship with him plus this doesn't affect you it only affect him because he didn't learn anything so when he takes a course later in life it will be harder on him, cheating always comes back and bites.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Shaytun Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 07:36 PM

I'm so surprised with him I've known him like 10 years or something. He passed with a 3.0 last year. But the first semester of last year he bombed with a 1.4
He's a really good guy and he did turn it around the only thing is he would've got a C in the class otherwise. I don't know maybe I need to talk to him directly.
He hasn't done anything like this he's a really good kid. I don't want guilt and all of this to get at him.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 09:46 PM

If you do bring it up, you'll be committing social suicide within your school, probably lose a friend and may make some enemies. One enemy probably would be the very smart kid who did this for money, and you may ruin his A+ 4.0 GPA.
I suppose the biggest question someone would ask you is why take a year before you report it? At least that's what I'd ask someone if I was the principal and you were reporting this to me. You knew of it but allowed for it to continue then after the course was over, you reported it.

I wouldn't report it because of the negatives and if he is forced to re-do the course, he probably kept all the answers from last year so he could get a high mark anyways. I doubt the school will change the course enough for only him. I'd just let it go.

As for was it wrong, the answer is obviously yes, it was wrong to cheat.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 09:57 PM

And also, everyone involved will deny it. I'm assuming the A grade student will be respected in the school. There is a chance you will not be believed, and you have to think about how that would affect your relationship with your teachers and your academic record.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Shaytun Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Was this wrong? - August 23rd 2010, 11:16 PM

That's true. Unfortunately I shouldn't have allowed myself to become a participating member of this and in the end run I'm sure I would be reprimanded severely versus anyone else.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Was this wrong? - August 24th 2010, 01:08 AM

I wouldn't say anything, he may have gotten away with it this time but sooner or later it'll all catch up with him.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Was this wrong? - August 24th 2010, 03:52 AM

If you're going to report them, you need proof of it, not just simply that you saw it because the smart kid and your friend will both say otherwise and you lose 2-1. If you have other people confirming it or proof in some other way, then you should go but even then, it'll be suspicious why you waited so long. Some would even ask or rumour that you were using the smart guy then had a problem with him or something similar and that's why you're reporting him. That may be false but it seems probable. If you don't have proof other than you being the eye witness, I'll be amazed if the two guys get in trouble. You were involved in it by not reporting it but just keep your involvement at that.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Was this wrong? - August 26th 2010, 12:36 PM

I am not sure there is much that they can do about it if any since it was last year. I think what they would probably do is pull them into a room and try to get them to confess up. The school shouldn't attach your name to it though.

I thought teachers generally administer the tests so they can make sure that their students are the ones taking the ap test.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Re: Was this wrong? - August 28th 2010, 05:02 AM

I would say, say something...
But it was last year so maybe a little late.
Also you'd be getting two people in trouble and could mess up a lot for them with whatever they are doing now. Like if they are in a good college because of that grade etc.

So i'd say it's up to you to decide.

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Was this wrong? - August 28th 2010, 11:34 AM

Since your friend did so badly earlier in the year, I'm a little surprised that his teachers didn't notice the drastic improvement of his grades and become suspicious? If you did decide to report it, the fact that his grades were so bad earlier might work in your favour. But as everyone else has said, they might be suspicious that you didn't report it earlier. Maybe if you had a teacher at the school who you trusted, you could ask them "hypothetically" what should be done in a case like yours?

If, however, you see your friend doing this again, I would strongly recommend that you tell someone. It's not fair for him to be cheating like that and honestly, it's going to be worse for him in the long run if he continues to get away with it. If he gets away with cheating in high school, he is more likely to continue cheating at university, where he is also more likely to get caught and where the consequences will be far more severe.

I also think it would be really good for you to talk to him about it. You don't have to be a "bad person" to cheat. Most students cheat because they feel forced to, in order to keep up with the work load or impress their parents and so on. So maybe talking to your friend about why he cheated would help him realise that he doesn't actually need to do so.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: Was this wrong? - August 30th 2010, 04:49 AM

Do what you believe is best dude, what does your gut tell you to do? Whatever you just thought upon hearing that question - do that. The part that you asked means you're on the fence, meaning you know it's wrong but might be nervous about going forward with it. If it's your friend though,

I would confront him about it and try to help him off the path he's on before it impacts the man he becomes - if you go to a teacher that would lose his trust, so another means is confronting him head on.

Always stand up for what you believe in.

"Maybe I just like people. Maybe sexuality isn't one thing or the other. Maybe it's just something that's shifting and moving. I just know I'm not thinking man or woman."
- SHAMELESS.

Closed Thread