TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Public vs. Private? - February 18th 2009, 09:25 PM

Well at the end of this school year I'm going off to high school...
(I know that makes me sound like a little kid )
And the big question I'm asking myself is whether or not I want to go to a public or catholic high school.
My sister is at a Catholic high school, but I don't want that to affect my decision.

The bad thing about going to another private school (I go to a Catholic school now to and since fourth grade) is that sometimes I feel as if I don't belong there. Religion classes get on my nerves and it would be nice to be free of them. Also, the tuition for catholic high school is a lot more than what my mom is paying now and it really stresses her out. And then with the grades... Catholic/Private schools have such high expectations, and it stresses ME out a lot. I'm not saying that catholic school's are above public ones, but I found it easier to do my work and get good grades when I was at a public school... sometimes I think they don't have such ridiculous expectations (we've got kids at our school that cry over B+'s)

But the cons about going to public school... it would be a whole lot more nerve-racking and hard to get used to. I mean besides the fact that it's a whole new school when I've been going to this one since fourth grade. The thing is that I'm used to the religion classes and being able to talk about my faith freely and not have to worry about being ridiculed about it. Another bad point, sometimes school is the only thing that keeps me intact with my faith. I can't help but think if I don't have faith in my life at school then I might lose it all together a lot faster...

I'm having a really hard time deciding.
I wish I would have thought about this sooner.
On Monday I'm supposed to go to the Catholic school to schedule for my classes and I just don't know what I want to do. The public school in my 'district' isn't the greatest, but we could always get me into the other nearby one, possibly. I just don't know what to decide on....

So, anyways, I thought maybe someone on here could give me some advice on what they think would be the best idea.. like if you've been to a catholic school then switched, or if you know someone who has... or just know how to help, I would really appreciate it, cause I have no idea where to go from here....

Thanks. Sorry for the longness of that





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 18th 2009, 09:34 PM

Hey, Amanda
I'm getting some mixed messages here. First I saw that you wrote
Quote:
...sometimes I feel as if I don't belong there. Religion classes get on my nerves and it would be nice to be free of them
But then you said,
Quote:
The thing is that I'm used to the religion classes and being able to talk about my faith freely and not have to worry about being ridiculed about it. Another bad point, sometimes school is the only thing that keeps me intact with my faith. I can't help but think if I don't have faith in my life at school then I might lose it all together a lot faster...
So...do you want your faith or do you not? It's fine if you don't tell me, but it's something you need to ask yourself at some point, and I have a feeling it will be a defining factor in your decision, if money doesn't become the primary issue.

Keep in mind there are also extracurricular religion clubs you can get involved in at some public schools, if that helps.


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
love2laugh Offline
Member
Regular TeenHelper
*****
 
love2laugh's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Gender: Female

Posts: 413
Join Date: January 13th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 18th 2009, 09:42 PM

I went to private my whole life, I just switched to public this year.
I love it.
And no one will make fun of your faith.
It's really diffrent for each person.


Drop me a PM anytime, about anything!
I would love to talk to you!
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while
********
 
St.Vincent's Avatar
 
Name: Edna
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere Across Forever

Posts: 1,269
Blog Entries: 102
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 18th 2009, 09:50 PM

I don't have much experience with Catholic school as most of my private-school going friends go to secular schools.. or Quaker schools... but I will try to give you my run-down of the Public/Private debate from my experience, ok?

High school is a big deal because the quality of education you take from your high school can be a major determining factor in your education in college. In a situation like this, you should consider a few things:

1. Rankings. Public school rankings are publicly available, you can see the average SAT and AP scores from students at the local public schools. You can see which APs are offered at either school, too. You might have a harder time getting your hands on such information from local private schools, and it's often hard to rate a private school against another and then against a public school, but I think you need to see the numbers. Numbers arem unfortunately still (and this is becoming less.. thank god but still big) a big deal for applying to college. You need to see the numbers to make a good choice. If you're really stuck after looking at everything, I would just stick to the school with the better numbers.

2. Another think is class size and environment. In a public school, classes are big and you often need to claw (maybe not claw.. but definitely really self-advocate) your way to the top of the class. Do you stand up for yourself in school, or do you need people to check on you? It's a lot easier to fall through the cracks in a private school.

3. Course offerings. One of the bad things about private schools is that they CAN be small and less diverse in their course offerings. You mention that you don't know if you want to take do religion.. I think you need to check the course books for both schools to see which schools around you offer unique classes that interest you.

I am going to be graduating from a top public school in my area in a few months and I can definitely say that public school was suitable for my personality. It helped me get into a very good university and take a variety of neat AP and non-AP classes that I never would have considered taking in the future when I was your age. It almost doesn't make sense, where I live with the quality of our public schools, to consider private UNLESS you have special demands from your school environment that justify the cost of tuition... I see people falling through the cracks at my very good school every year and I do think that these people should consider private. In your area where you said public schools aren't that good, you need to consider wether your Catholic school is better, and if so, how much better? Better enough to pay tuition?

Looking at the course offering between my public school and the local private schools, I can also say this about courses: we (my public school) offer more science and higher maths, but (save for the AP classes) miserably lack qaulity education in the arts and humanities. It would be great if you could also make such a comparison between your pub/pri schools.

I hope this helped.. feel to PM me if you want my opinion on the specific schools in question


I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 18th 2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
Hey, Amanda
do you want your faith or do you not?
I'd love to know myself :P
I guess that's the whole problem, everyone at my current school seem to be sure about their faith and I'm majorly doubting it and feeling like it's not as big of a part of me anymore. Sometimes I want to move on and just forget about it, but other times I use it as a crutch. So I'm really not sure..





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 18th 2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
I don't have much experience with Catholic school as most of my private-school going friends go to secular schools.. or Quaker schools... but I will try to give you my run-down of the Public/Private debate from my experience, ok?

High school is a big deal because the quality of education you take from your high school can be a major determining factor in your education in college. In a situation like this, you should consider a few things:

1. Rankings. Public school rankings are publicly available, you can see the average SAT and AP scores from students at the local public schools. You can see which APs are offered at either school, too. You might have a harder time getting your hands on such information from local private schools, and it's often hard to rate a private school against another and then against a public school, but I think you need to see the numbers. Numbers arem unfortunately still (and this is becoming less.. thank god but still big) a big deal for applying to college. You need to see the numbers to make a good choice. If you're really stuck after looking at everything, I would just stick to the school with the better numbers.

2. Another think is class size and environment. In a public school, classes are big and you often need to claw (maybe not claw.. but definitely really self-advocate) your way to the top of the class. Do you stand up for yourself in school, or do you need people to check on you? It's a lot easier to fall through the cracks in a private school.

3. Course offerings. One of the bad things about private schools is that they CAN be small and less diverse in their course offerings. You mention that you don't know if you want to take do religion.. I think you need to check the course books for both schools to see which schools around you offer unique classes that interest you.

I am going to be graduating from a top public school in my area in a few months and I can definitely say that public school was suitable for my personality. It helped me get into a very good university and take a variety of neat AP and non-AP classes that I never would have considered taking in the future when I was your age. It almost doesn't make sense, where I live with the quality of our public schools, to consider private UNLESS you have special demands from your school environment that justify the cost of tuition... I see people falling through the cracks at my very good school every year and I do think that these people should consider private. In your area where you said public schools aren't that good, you need to consider wether your Catholic school is better, and if so, how much better? Better enough to pay tuition?

Looking at the course offering between my public school and the local private schools, I can also say this about courses: we (my public school) offer more science and higher maths, but (save for the AP classes) miserably lack qaulity education in the arts and humanities. It would be great if you could also make such a comparison between your pub/pri schools.

I hope this helped.. feel to PM me if you want my opinion on the specific schools in question
Wow, thanks, that helped me out a lot





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough
*********
 
Briana's Avatar
 
Name: Bri
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Neverland, Ohio

Posts: 2,851
Blog Entries: 232
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 18th 2009, 10:42 PM

In one of my classes we just had a debate about public vs. private schools. I have gone to a Private-Catholic school my whole life. I like it just because the school is small and it is alot easier to concentrate in class. The near by public school is a good one but it is huge and there are a lot more people in a class. It depends on where you would feel comfortable at. Would you rather of smaller classes or ones with a lot of people in them. Like I have said I have never been to a public school but I have heard there are many clicks and such. At a Catholic school it feels like I am more able to fit in. This is my last year of high school and I know everyone in my class.

Also, make sure you look into which school teaches better and what school you can learn more from. Can you shadow the schools (go and follow another student around during the school day to get the feel for it)?


"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,299
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 18th 2009, 10:47 PM

I'd so go for a public school, it's more fun, a lot more relaxed and IMO you get a better feeling of how life is outside of school when you go public. Plus their is all the social issues you learn from a public school and not a private school, as well as (no offence) private schooled children being a bit more immature.

And in the end, if your going to do well, then your going to do well where ever you go.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?
**********
 
MadPoet's Avatar
 
Name: Amanda.
Age: 24
Gender: Female.
Location: Michigan.

Posts: 4,685
Blog Entries: 121
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 18th 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDotTissue View Post
as well as (no offence) private schooled children being a bit more immature.
Oh, none taken. Sometimes I swear I go to a school with a bunch of two year old's

And, actually, I kind of would look forward to having more people in my classes and in the whole freshmen class... because I'm really rather sick of a small school... where everyone knows you and think that they know everything about you.. plus everyone at my current school have been friends since forever, so it makes it a million times harder to not look like an idiot..

You know, I'm kind of leaning towards public school, just because my time at private school hasn't been the best choice.

It just makes me nervous, it's a huge change.. but I know I've got to decide eventually and toughen up. I hate making choices like this...





A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts


   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
ForeverAutumn*'s Avatar
 
Age: 25
Gender: Female

Posts: 843
Blog Entries: 20
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 19th 2009, 04:21 AM

Hey Amanda. [: I'm actually making a similar decision right now, except I'm currently at public and looking at private.

Something to keep in mind is that public school education can be better than private at times. While a private school may offer courses you wouldn't see at public, it doesn't mean the teachers are necessarily better. Teachers are required to have certain degrees at public and [in my state, at least] earn a far greater salary than private school teachers. Most public schools will have fairly educated teachers as a result, whereas there aren't always the same standards at a private school.

Like Edna said, class size is a major factor as well. The jump from a small school to a larger one can be daunting at first and it can take time to adjust. A smaller class means a more one-on-one approach when it comes to learning but, larger classes have their advantages as well. For example, if you have a debate or discussion on a certain topic during a class, there'll be a greater variety of opinions in a larger class simply because there are more people.

There's cost as well, if money is a factor in deciding whether you're at public or private next year. Going to public means you won't have to pay for books, uniforms, tuition etc, which means more money saved for college.

You'll most likely be more exposed to drugs etc in public than in private and the other students will have different attitudes, personalities, and backgrounds than those at private.

It's a huge change, yeah, but it won't take long to get into the flow of things. You might find public school is a better option for you in the long-run, or you may decide you want to stick with private. I think both have their pros and cons, it depends on your preferences and what you want from your high school.

Feel free to PM if you'd like to speak more about it or if there's something I didn't explain clearly Take care of yourself.



how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lorelei's Avatar
 
Name: Laura
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: in my own thoughts

Posts: 801
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 19th 2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Girl View Post
I'd love to know myself :P
I guess that's the whole problem, everyone at my current school seem to be sure about their faith and I'm majorly doubting it and feeling like it's not as big of a part of me anymore. Sometimes I want to move on and just forget about it, but other times I use it as a crutch. So I'm really not sure..
I know how you feel.
Trust me, just because someone acts like they're sure, it doesn't mean they are. I'd bet there are plenty of kids at your school who are just as doubtful as you, but too scared to say anything.
If you are using religion as a crutch (as many people do) it's not a very healthy thing to do. But like I said, I've felt the same way before.
At this point, it sounds like it might be helpful for you to go to public school, as it might help you learn about new ideas, and help you learn more about yourself. If nothing else, it would also help your family out financially, which sounds like it's an issue in your family already.

Who knows? Maybe it will be a really great experience for you!


"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Clover Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Clover's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Narnia

Posts: 58
Join Date: February 16th 2009

Re: Public vs. Private? - February 21st 2009, 06:17 AM

Just to offer my two cents:

I went to a Catholic school all my life and frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I did end up switching schools the summer before my sophomore year because of a move, but even then there were many similarities between the two schools and I am confident that I received the best education possible for me. You mentioned that you weren't sure if you wanted to go to a Catholic school because of the religious aspect, but you have already said that you are used to that. Would it really be that bad to have another four years of that. I would point out that with my experience, even if you do have to take a theology class each year, they are generally open minded and encourage you to think for yourself. You mentioned that many people around you seem so sure in their faith, but I would bet that many of them are not as sure as they appear. It is perfectly normal to doubt your faith and explore other options as well (you will most likely take a world religions class of some kind at a Catholic high school). What I found to be one of the greatest things about a Catholic high school (and I believe you already touched on this briefly) is the sense of community and openness about discussing religion, which can be kind of a taboo subject at public school. If you waver in your faith, that's fine, and you can share it with others or not. If you decide that a different faith resonates with you more than the Catholic faith, that's perfectly fine as well. I went through a similar thing but it was being in a Catholic school setting that really helped me come to terms wit the fact that there is more than one way to connect with the Divine but there are also many commonalities between different faiths. I am more rooted in my spiritual path now (which btw is not Catholic) than I think I would be if I hadn't gone to a Catholic school, because even though I have drifted away quite a bit from the Catholic faith, I found that I was able to connect through the school masses and prayer services in a way that I hadn't before. Just my personal experience, but I would stress that looking at the individual schools is key in figuring out what is right for you. Also, if money is an issue, I would encourage you to speak with people at the Catholic school you are looking at. Many schools understand that in this economy more people than ever are facing financial difficulties and are willing to work with you to allow you to go to that school if you feel it is the right choice for you.

Hope this helps. I realize I'm a tad biased, but I have found that personal experience is sometimes the best way to share ideas. Good luck in your choice. ^_^

P.S. Just idle curiosity, which specific schools are you deciding between?
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
private, public

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.