TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ash5150 Offline
Not a n00b

Does art teacher have to equal artist? - September 18th 2011, 07:10 PM

So, I'm a junior, but I've changed majorS a few times so I feel like that doesn't even matter. I now know that I absoultelty want to work with little kids. Whenever I'm at school I miss my younger siblings like mad and when see kids around town I start grinning like an idiot and babling about how cute they are.
Anywho, so I've unnofficially changed it to art ed (it was dental before and broadcasting BEFORE that). I've always loved art and niffty crafts. Because of school and stuff I haven't had the time to really do much art work like I used to. I'm worried though that I'm not good enough to study in art. I can draw fairly well, but mostly anime stuff that I have to be looking a picture at in order to do. I haven't had any of my art classes yet though, but I'm still nervous. I don't want to be in school forever but I want the confirmation that this is what I should be doing with my life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Does art teacher have to equal artist? - September 18th 2011, 07:20 PM

Art teachers don't have to be artists, really, I don't think. Maybe they do to teach COLLEGE art, but when it comes to elementary, middle, and high school art, I don't think so. The art teacher I had my freshman year of high school definitely wasn't an artist. xD

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Does art teacher have to equal artist? - September 18th 2011, 07:38 PM

To be quite fair, no one really gets into art for the money. They have to hold some degree of appreciation for art to choose it as a career. The level you want to work at has to do a lot with it as well. I suggest you talk to the professor teaching the class and discuss this issue with him/her. I'm sure they will have a lot of insight to share with you, considering they've been down that road before.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Does art teacher have to equal artist? - September 18th 2011, 07:58 PM

Does a gym teacher have to be an athelete?

As long as they have a basic knowledge and love of whatever they are doing, it doesn't matter.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Does art teacher have to equal artist? - September 18th 2011, 08:20 PM

I don't think art teachers have to be artists, as long as you know what you're talking about and can demonstrate what you want the kids to do you should be fine. Look at the course requirements for the major and see if it's something you could see yourself enjoying (at least most of the time, I think every major probably has classes that you'll hate).

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Does art teacher have to equal artist? - September 18th 2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I don't think art teachers have to be artists, as long as you know what you're talking about and can demonstrate what you want the kids to do you should be fine. Look at the course requirements for the major and see if it's something you could see yourself enjoying (at least most of the time, I think every major probably has classes that you'll hate).
Ash, ^this.

It's not so much about your qualifications as an artist, it;s really the motivation. What i'm hearing is that you;re going into this primarily b/c of a sense of loss over something very personal (sibs!), which frankly is a truly lousy reason to dedicate your life to a profession.

Your feelings of loss, although understandable, are unduly affecting your career choice, and I'd highly recommend before making any drastic moves here, you sort it all out, perhaps in the Uni counselling ctr.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Does art teacher have to equal artist? - September 19th 2011, 03:46 PM

Whilst I don't think your reasons for wanting to teach art to young children are "lousy", I do think you need to make sure it's really what you want to do.

You've already changed your major a couple of times. How do you know you won't change it again?

Having said that, I personally think art is fantastic for children. It gives them an alternative means of expression, it's therapeutic and it allows them to explore their imagination. It's basically awesome and I know from experience that doing art with small children is wonderful.

As for your question; no, you don't need to be an artist. You just need to be passionate about what you do.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Does art teacher have to equal artist? - September 20th 2011, 04:12 AM

You don't need to be an artist, you need to be dedicated and love the field of teaching art. That said, you need some art skills, otherwise, you cant exactly teach. I mean, if all you can draw is a half-assed attempt of a stick-figure, art may not be the best field but if you can draw or paint very well, you may be fine. In high-school, my art teachers had art skills but they were no Picasso. However, all of them had one thing in common: they loved teaching art even though they got crummy pay.

I wouldn't suggest you go into teaching art though because your only motivation is loss of seeing your younger siblings. Once you see them then start teaching art to kids, you have to ask yourself, will that motivation still be there? From what you described thus far, it will be gone.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread