TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

GED vs. diploma - December 11th 2011, 11:31 PM

Can anyone tell me some honest, as unbiased as possible opinions about the differences between the value of a GED and a diploma? All I've been hearing are biased opinions about how either GEDs are the worst thing you can get for yourself or how having a diploma versus a GED really doesn't make any difference. I'm hoping maybe there are some people here with some input on how their value differs in the real world? I'm not planning on going into anything that necessarily needs high levels of any school courses, I'd just like to do hair and make up for a while and then after I get some money I might go to a little university to get into doing some things in psychology.

Also, I'd love it if someone could verify something I've heard. I am planning on going to college in a while (like 5-10 years, if not more) for psychology. I've heard that with a GED, you can get in pretty easily into less prestigious colleges and then if you do well in college, you can get into a pretty good graduate school without too much fuss over the GED.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: GED vs. diploma - December 12th 2011, 06:58 AM

Graduate schools don't care about what high-school you went to or whether you earned a diploma versus GED because it's irrelevant, the focus is on your undergraduate performance. Usually, they look at only the last 2 years of university or in rarer cases, your entire transcript. Instead, getting a GED may affect your chances of getting into a university that has a high reputation and requires high marks for entrance requirements, or it may be viewed like a high-school diploma. Whether you have a diploma or GED, getting into a university heavily depends on your marks. A GED won't make it easier simply because you have a GED. Some people may view GEDs as less than a diploma and this could be reflected in university admission.

Technically, GEDs and diplomas don't differ. However, in reality, there is a very large difference because GEDs have a negative stigma. It is often viewed that the person dropped out of high-school (i.e. teen pregnancy for girls, arrest or academic difficulties for boys), briefly became a societal parasite but then got your act together and got the GED. In other words, there's an association with the person being deviant or criminal.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Disappearing Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: GED vs. diploma - December 14th 2011, 12:46 AM

From most of what I have heard from the people I have been around with one or the other, they are just as effective. Diplomas show that you stuck with school and finished it, but GEDs show that you were willing to make the effort to go back and finish it. I would say they are pretty much equal.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: GED vs. diploma - December 14th 2011, 08:07 AM

Like what "The Man And XX Master" said, if you're looking at colleges that aren' prestigious of any manner; having a GED or Diploma will not make much (if any) difference at all with their admission diploma. Graduate Schools also look upon your work as an undergrad student.

However I would like to add; that if you were looking to get any scholarships, having a GED v.s Diploma does make a difference, many scholarships chairs often times have preference to people who have obtained their diploma v.s GED.

--Hope this helps!

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: GED vs. diploma - December 14th 2011, 01:04 PM

I received a GED and I keot hearing how hard it would be to get into college or get a job...

I can get into any college I want, besides ones like Yale, Harvard, Princeton, etc. I can go to state colleges, community colleges, and even some private colleges. And no job has yet to say "Oh, you have a GED?" No. They say, "Tell me about why you got a GED?" So I explain and I explain how quickly I got it. And it usually impresses them because I didn't go to classes, I studied on my own, and I graduated before my class.

And once I'm in any college, I can transfer to a prestigious college if desired.

As long as you can study on your own, then getting a GED isn't as horrible as people make it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: GED vs. diploma - December 14th 2011, 05:41 PM

If you're thinking about going to beauty school, and then going to college/university later, I don't really think it'll matter much. To be honest, I go to a wonderful university, and they accept people with GEDs as long as you didn't just fail in life in high school, and did well on your GED test, my university accepts people with GEDs. A lot do. So, do well on your GED test, and you're fine. Keep caught up, because a lot of schools require ACT/SATs for acceptance, and if you do well on these, so what if you got a GED? It's not the most important thing in the world. I grew up in a household where it was "unacceptable" as well, but a family friend of mine got it, and he's doing fine. It really doesn't matter that much.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread