TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Paul Bunyan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What to do after high school - February 23rd 2012, 05:43 AM

So, as the title says, I need help deciding what to do after high school as I graduate in June. I don't really want to go to college or university for more than a year or two. I have thought about doing something in the health care line, but most of the jobs require Chemistry12 which I don't have (I do have Biology12). I guess I'm just looking for some ideas on what I can do after I graduate in four months. Any help/suggests is appreciated.

Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What to do after high school - February 23rd 2012, 05:47 AM

Either an internship at a college lab or a research center would be a good idea, if you will be supported while doing so. Otherwise I would suggest looking for a job nowish.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Flavalicious Offline
100% Coffee addict
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Felis

Re: What to do after high school - February 23rd 2012, 09:31 AM

I don't know which country you live in but I know that some institutes and universities do have that kind of degree called Diploma in Healthcare Practice that you can take for a year or two and if you wish you can continue to pursue the Bachelor degree by adding one or two more years after you finish your diploma.

If that's not an option, then you probably might want to seek for some health care services provider that's willing to recruit high-school graduates to work as trainee and then able to promote you as their permanent employee.

Another option is that you take part time course in college or university and part time working as an intern at a health care services provider, then you won't have to study full-time in the university.

Good luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: What to do after high school - February 23rd 2012, 05:26 PM

It would be helpful to know what country you live in, but I'll try to help anyway. Is there any reason re: why you don't want to go to university or college? I understand that this type of education is not for everybody, but I encourage you to research these options and consider them thoroughly.

If you truly decide that you don't want to pursue university or college, research other opportunities available to you. Start looking for jobs. Sure, there are internships and whatnot, but those internships usually require that an applicant be in school (studying the material practiced) in order to be considered for the position.

There are certainly two year college diplomas that you can get in Canada. But, alas, I don't know where you live. At the end of the day, though, remember that we're talking about the rest of your life here. Sure, school can be a drag at times. I've been in university for two years already, and likely have about eight left to go. Even though you might feel like school is such a drag, remember that it will open doors to your future. There are not many jobs that will offer you a position with only a high school diploma.

I don't know. Something to think about.

SUP BRO.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: What to do after high school - February 23rd 2012, 05:54 PM

You could try firefighter or paramedic, you can get that here in 2 or just over 2 years.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: What to do after high school - February 24th 2012, 04:07 PM

Something might inspire you ... but if not don't worry. I'm 21, graduate from university this year and have no idea what I want to do with my life!!

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: What to do after high school - February 25th 2012, 03:14 PM

In the US you can get an associate's degree for something, which is usually about 2 years in school. If you're not in the US, maybe there's an equivalent to that.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread