TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tazzy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tarah

Too much? - March 1st 2012, 09:55 AM

Where to start, I'm not really sure what subject to put this under but this will do.

This year has just started, but the stress is already overwhelming, everything just keeps building up. First of all, I am in year 12, next year I would like to do a bachelor of arts (English Literature, journalism and writing and society majors). But to do this course I have to move. Which I want to do. But I'm stressing about money.

Like I've said in another thread, I am earning $400 a fortnight at this present time. But I will need 300+ a week if I want to live on my own. I don't know anyone in the city I am moving too anymore, and I do not have a guarantee'd job there either. I would get another job to help with my savings, which at the moment are quite non-existent, but there's another problem, I just received my acceptance letters into uni (which I'm doing this year) along with my first 3 assignments, which are incredibly hard and I don't even know where to start, that are due next week... I started a week late due to my application and enrollment tests getting lost...

What are your guys opinions... Do you think I should get a second job? Should I take a gap year (which I really don't want to do) so I can work full-time and save money?

I am also saving for a car, that I will desperately need...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Too much? - March 7th 2012, 12:33 AM

Hey, I hope things turn out all right. Financial burden can be super stressful. Since you seem to have a plan, it sounds like you may need to pick up that second job or take the gap year to get yourself on better financial ground. Is there any type of financial aid that you can seek or are you basically on your own?

-Alex

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Too much? - March 7th 2012, 10:09 AM

Seeing as you're Australian, are you eligible for centrelink? I just moved to Melbourne from Tasmania to attend university, and I recieve $400 dependent living away from home youth allowence a fortnight, plus $100 rent assistance a fortnight.

I also got the $1000 start up scholarship from centrelink (which uni students on centrelink get every semester) and since I moved states I also got the relocation scholarship which is $4000 in your first year.

You also need to apply to every single scholarship for every university in your area. I'm on a scholarship at Monash at the moment and I hadn't at all planned on going there. In fact I just applied because I thought, why not, and it was about two in the morning before the deadline. It had a space for up to 1000 words and I wrote about two sentence in a hurry and didn't ever think about it again until I got the scholarship offer.

There are also several residences attached to some of the major universities which offer full scholarships.

If you don't get a scholarship and you're not eligible for centrelink, you still have a few other options. Are there universities closer to you that you would consider going too? You could transfer a year later. Alternatively, you could do your first year via distance so you could live at home and save then move to the city in your second year and do it on campus.

Nevertheless, you've still got a whole year before you start uni which is plenty of time to save a chunk of money from your current job to help you with uni.

Oh and for the record my scholarship hasn't gone through yet and I'm living on $500 a fortnight and I'm getting by just fine.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tazzy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tarah

Re: Too much? - March 7th 2012, 10:22 AM

Marguerite, thank you so much. That really really helped! I suppose I have a lot to think about.

Also, good luck with everything

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Too much? - March 8th 2012, 05:42 AM

Tarah,

You have a budget, yeah?

Can you post it here? AUD$300+ sounds pretty steep..

- Yogi

Closed Thread