TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Going to London - October 14th 2014, 06:56 PM

So, some of you (especially the UK users) know that I am going to London next month for an early birthday present. I was wondering if anyone who lives in, near, or has been to London, has any tips on: places to eat, either pubs or restaurants; places to visit, like the museums, London Eye, etc.; and etiquette. Like, I know some American words aren't used in England or mean something entirely different--and possibly vulgar--over there.

Plus, it'll be hard not to do a British accent. I was told to not do it, and I already knew that...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: Going to London - October 15th 2014, 02:36 PM

I hope you enjoy it! I would defiantly visit the London eye, tower of London and if your interested in art, then you could visit the Tate Modern or the National Gallery. Also, the Natural history museum and the science museum, both have interactive displays which are quite good.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Going to London - October 15th 2014, 05:31 PM

I’ve only been to London twice but would love to go again

I went on a school trip a few years ago and we went shopping in Oxford street and Regent Street (a really long street packed full of shops), and took a ride on the London Eye. In the evening, we went to see Mamma Mia in the Prince of Wales Theatre, and then had dinner in Planet Hollywood. If you like Italian food, there is a Zizzis restaurant somewhere, and if you like really cute cakes, there is The Hummingbird Bakery around too!

On another occasion, I went with my family to the London Dungeons and we wanted to go see the Tower of London and Big Ben but we ran out of time.

I have heard that the Imperial War Museum is also a really good attraction. Also, you could check out Buckingham Palace!

As for etiquette, you can (but don’t have to) give tips in restaurants, bars, taxis and hotels and this apparently should be 10-15%. You can try looking up on the internet for etiquette and other things to do with London

I can’t think of any words that would be rude or vulgar…hmmmm…..but do you know the difference between chips and crisps in England? Otherwise that might catch you out

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Last edited by Celyn; October 15th 2014 at 05:53 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Going to London - October 15th 2014, 07:00 PM

Well obviously you should come and get me and we can go to Baker Street and see the Sherlock Holmes museum.

As for places to go, I've never been to London so feel free to discount my input. Madame Tussauds is supposed be really good. If you don't tell anyone you went, you can say you had a photo taken with the REAL Queen of England.

Anyway take a look at THIS it has lots of fun ideas for things to do in London.

Oh, and you'll probably need an oyster card, you need them to travel around London I think.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Going to London - October 15th 2014, 08:27 PM

Exciting!! I was in London in January, unfortunately the film museum was closed because we really wanted to go, but we did go to the Ice Bar (near Chelsea) which I'd really recommend.

As far as I know 'fanny' has an utterly different meaning between England and America and it's a word commonly used in England... whether in London areas I'm not sure. But maybe avoid that one Also the whole chips and crisps thing yes.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Going to London - October 18th 2014, 07:48 PM

Are there any type of sweets I should try?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Going to London - October 18th 2014, 08:22 PM

Oh god yes.
Now, if The Simpsons were correct, we have more sugar in our sweets than you do in America. I remember Bart and Lisa going nuts after eating some chocolate in England.

Away from sweets for a second, you need to try Irn Bru. Not diet Irn Bru, that's just blasphemy, REAL Irn Bru. It looks like this:

You can get it in bottles too. It's not as easy to find in England but there must be some in London somewhere.

In terms of sweets I'll just post photos so you know what I'm talking about.
Cadbury's chocolate:

Cherry bakewells:

Jaffa cakes:

Millionaire Shortbread (you can find this in the bakery section of most shops):

ANYTHING from this shop:

I read somewhere that you don't really get salt and vinegar crisps in the US? Either way McCoys are beautiful:

Jammie Dodgers:

People also seem to really like the tea you get here, as well as the jam and sauces and stuff.
Honestly just bring like £200 and go round the shops buying everything that looks tasty. If it comes to it, PM me and ask if it's good and I'll help.

Also, this might help: British Swear Words

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; October 18th 2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Whoa, lots of code instead of a photo. D:

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Going to London - October 18th 2014, 09:02 PM

I loved the cew gardens and platform ninethreequarters.
You could also go to Victoria aand Albert.
Besides that I just totally loved the metro when I went there last year with a school trip.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Going to London - October 19th 2014, 01:38 AM

I'm not from London buuut when I went it was cool. Ooooh. You should see the Warner Brothers studio, it's amazing. http://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk and these candy shops are really cool http://www.mrskibbles.co.uk and http://www.hopeandgreenwood.co.uk. Hyde Park is really beautiful as well. The La Bodega Negra http://labodeganegra.com/#Home had really good food, we were recommended it by one of my moms friends. (The location is slightly odd, as in it's the basement kind of, of a sex shop buuut the food is really good.) Osteria Basilico is also really nice Italian restaurant. http://www.osteriabasilico.co.uk/home. I also really enjoyed Club Gascon. http://www.clubgascon.com/about.php They had a really nice Vegetarian menu.

These are good, they're like Areo but they taste better.

I really liked these, and I buy these off amazon and get them shipped here.

These are also really good and I also buy these and get them sent here cause they're good and I can't find them in Canada. I like the mix bag because it has a little bit of everything.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Going to London - November 1st 2014, 03:21 AM

I would recommend going to the London Dungeon and their Madame Tussauds. Also the houses of Parliament, Hampton Court, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London and Greenwich to see the Royal Observatory.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Going to London - November 2nd 2014, 06:13 PM

Hey there,

I hope you have a really lovely time in London, it is an amazing place, although I am a little bias.
There is TONS to do in central London.

River cruises, London Dungeons, The London Eye, Hyde Park, The Tate, The V&A museum, The science museum, London Zoo, Hampton Court, The o2.

There are plenty of good things to see and do.
People in London are pretty used to people from all over the world, chances are people will understand what you mean, so I wouldn't worry too much about differences in expressions.

I hope you have a lovely trip and take lots and lots of photos.

Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

Closed Thread