TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

I want to travel. - January 8th 2012, 11:36 PM

I've decided I want to travel the world and I'm going to start with the states, easiest right now.
I plan on taking a trip this summer, possibly.
But I have no idea where to start.
Any ideas? Like where is there a nice place that's fairly cheap to stay for a few days - a week and that has nice exhibits or something?
This is probably very vague but any ideas would help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Shawn K. Offline
SoCali Baller
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shawn

Re: I want to travel. - January 9th 2012, 12:28 AM

Hey, what part of the country do you live in. We travel all the time. Been in almost every state, Mexico, Canada, and Italy twice. Went to D.C. On a class trip first week of Xmas break. I love to travel.

15 Straight - Loving Life - Love meeting new peeps - Want to help if I can

Girl: "My doctor says I can't have sex for a while."
Boy: "What does your dentist say?"

Last edited by Shawn K.; January 9th 2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Typo
  Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn K.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: I want to travel. - January 9th 2012, 12:37 AM

I live in the North East of the states. (:
I was thinking about going to Colorado or something.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: I want to travel. - January 9th 2012, 04:24 AM

You should come to Seattle! Its a very interesting and unique place that has lots of places to visit. I love it here
But anyways, what kind of place are you looking for exactly? Do you want somewhere warm or cold? And are you looking to go see famous monuments?

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: I want to travel. - January 9th 2012, 12:58 PM

I don't know.
I'm planning on going in July so probably somewhere warm but not as hot as an oven.
And, it'd be cool to see different things.
See, I'm a bad planner. LOL.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: I want to travel. - January 9th 2012, 01:48 PM

I'd say Boston, but you've probably already been there! Or live in/near Boston. Providence is nice as well, nice Italian district and the Mall is awesome. <3

What states have you been to? And if you don't want to go to those states/cities again, you can cross them off your list and begin with the nearest place you would like to go to and work in that direction. There's trains that go from Maine to DC and Boston to Syracuse. You could always take one of those, and get on another train at DC/Syracuse.

Start saving up money now, because it is going to get expensive. Especially if you want to go all the way to Colorado.

I have an idea, if you want to head out west this summer, make a trip itinerary and list the states you want to go to that goes out westward. If you're in New York, make a list beginning with Pennsylvania and ending with Illinois or Iowa. Because I doubt there's going to be many places to see west of Illinois until you reach Colorado.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: I want to travel. - January 9th 2012, 03:57 PM

I actually live 20 minutes from Providence and about an hour from Boston. So I've been to both many times.
I know it's going to get expensive. I have a savings account just for travels.
I've been to a lot of states:
  • Maine
  • New Hampshire
  • Massachusetts
  • RI
  • Connecticut
  • New York
  • Delaware
  • Maryland
  • Virginia
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Georgia
  • Florida
  • Missouri
But with most other than Missouri, Florida, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts - was just a drive through because I was driving to Florida with my dad so I saw a 'glimpse' of each state so I guess that wouldn't count.

I don't mean to sound like a complete n00b but where/what's Syracuse?

Thanks for your ideas! They help a lot. I think I might just do that.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Shawn K. Offline
SoCali Baller
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shawn

Re: I want to travel. - January 10th 2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe.in.hope View Post
I actually live 20 minutes from Providence and about an hour from Boston. So I've been to both many times.
I know it's going to get expensive. I have a savings account just for travels.
I've been to a lot of states:
  • Maine
  • New Hampshire
  • Massachusetts
  • RI
  • Connecticut
  • New York
  • Delaware
  • Maryland
  • Virginia
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Georgia
  • Florida
  • Missouri
But with most other than Missouri, Florida, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts - was just a drive through because I was driving to Florida with my dad so I saw a 'glimpse' of each state so I guess that wouldn't count.

I don't mean to sound like a complete n00b but where/what's Syracuse?

Thanks for your ideas! They help a lot. I think I might just do that.
If Colorado is the place you're headed, then decide how you're gonna get there. If you're gonna drive, there ARE some cool places to see East of Illinois. Disclaimer: I'm a guy that's usually traveling with guys, looking to do and see guy things. But, places between you and Colorado that come back to my mind are. The Missisippi River; The Black Hills / South Dakota (Mount Rushmore's there) visited a couple Indian reservations too; Yellowstone is a must see, but it will be like Times Square in July.... Oh, Mall of America in Minneapolis (I think) was way cool.

Cousin and husband live in Colorado Springs. Whole State is beautiful. Denver is one of coolest cities I've ever been to...Already in the mountains a mile up.

If you're gonna fly... Denver and the Rockies are attractions by themselves. At least for guys... Happy trails.

Syracuse is in Upstate New York... also one of the most beautiful places in the country in my opinion.

Also, if you're in the North East... think about Quebec, Canada...I haven't been to France, but I have been to Rome, and Quebec looks a whole lot like Europe... at least it did when I was like twelve.

15 Straight - Loving Life - Love meeting new peeps - Want to help if I can

Girl: "My doctor says I can't have sex for a while."
Boy: "What does your dentist say?"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn K.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
jenpiglet17 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jen

Re: I want to travel. - January 11th 2012, 04:54 AM

hey there, I've been to almost all of the states Syracuse is a city in Central NY Between Albany and Buffalo. This past year, I took a roadtrip out west. It was SO much fun. I'm from Buffalo, & it was such a blast driving out there. If you take the I-80, once you reach Iowa, you can stop at the I-80 truckstop, the biggest one in the world!! They have a HUGE store that's practically 3 warehouses & a restaurant in it with 3 buffets, as well as 4 display tractor trailers inside! They have a tractor trailer museum as well in another building. It's definitely a fun experience. I've found that my travels out west past the Mississippi, mostly in Iowa & Nebraska, people were very friendly and offered to help you along. A road trip is very fun, you can plan your different stops. If you're traveling from east to west, some great places to stop are: NYC, Corning Museum of Glass (You can make your own glass sculpture) NY, Hershey Park in PA, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland OH, Trail rides along the Mississippi River, The I-80 truckstop, The Machine Shed in Des Moines, Omaha has a great group of people and from what I've heard, a good zoo & fresh Omaha steaks! The rockies, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, so many fun places and things to do out west. I was considering doing a summer across country on horseback up into Nebraska or Iowa... There's a place in my area that does that
Montana has a great view of the plains, and has a National Wildlife Reserve where you can take tours of the great plains & how they're trying to get them back to the way it used to be before the settlers came. They're replenishing the Buffalo herds, so maybe you could be lucky enough to see a heard on horseback or in a vehicle!
Personally, I love roadtrips. lol I think Nebraska has the most friendly people out there from what I've encountered. Every state I think has something wonderful to explore Let me know if you need anything! Safe travels

A computer once beat me at chess,
but it was no match for me at kickboxing!

I'm always here if you want to talk!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: I want to travel. - January 11th 2012, 12:02 PM

My favorite cities are Franklin, North Carolina... Raleigh, NC... New York City (of course)... New Orleans, LA is a must. San Diego and San Francisco, California are fantastic if you're looking for something a bit different. I have a few friends in Portland, Oregon and have heard nothing but very positive reviews of it.

Apparently, according to CNNmoney, Louisville, Colorado is the most liveable place in America, so if you're already looking into going to CO, that might be worth checking out!

Keep us posted - it sounds like you have a wonderful summer ahead of you.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I want to travel. - January 12th 2012, 02:15 PM

I have done a little traveling in the states and I gotta say if you have the time and money for gas, that the road can be a most enjoyable way to travel. I personally just basically pick a direction and go lmao. You get to see the off-the-beaten path places of the world a little easier that way. Are you looking to see some touristy spots or nothing like that, or a little mix of both?

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: I want to travel. - January 17th 2012, 08:36 PM

Chicago is another nice place to visit.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: I want to travel. - January 23rd 2012, 06:24 AM

Michigan! Up along Lake Michigan~ Most of the places are pretty quaint, but it definitely has it's touristy spots. The weather for the most part is decent too, at least along the lake. And the upper peninsula is awesome!

Closed Thread