TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

"R" rated movies. - December 10th 2013, 05:57 AM

So, I'm turning 17 on Friday (woot woot!) and that means I'm legally allowed to see R rated movies by myself (I live in the US. Not sure if rules/rating are different in other countries.) I don't really go to the movies too often, but there's this new one coming out after my birthday and it's rated R. I realllyyyy want to see it with a few friends (some 17, some 16). But my question is, do they usually ID you or ask your age if your going to see an R rated movie with no adult? I saw one R rated movie with my brother (who was 18 at the time), and the ticket taker IDed him. If they do ID, I don't have a drivers license yet (or a permit), and I don't think my high school student ID has my date of birth on it. I don't want to bring a passport or something just to see a movie either! What can I do/bring if they do ID me? Do they even ID? Sorry if I sound stupid, lol. I just really don't go to the movies too often so I have no idea. (Btw, I'm not going to buy a ticket to another movie and sneak into the R one. It's too much of a struggle. I mean, I can legally see R rated movies so why go through all that trouble?)

Savvy?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Glitter Offline
Bedazzler of Balderdash
Not a n00b

Re: "R" rated movies. - December 10th 2013, 12:27 PM

Sometimes they ask for it, sometimes they don't (my experience). And yes, you would need an official photo ID that shows how old you are. In some states you can apply for a non-driver license photo ID at the DMV. I'd check to see what type of verification is required by your state before going to get one.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DemonQueen Offline
amber_teh_shark since 2004
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: "R" rated movies. - December 10th 2013, 02:55 PM

You can always go to the DMV, like the above user stated, and get a state issued ID. Although I'm not entirely sure how long it will take you to receive it in the mail, at least a week or so. So you'd have to wait to see the movie - but I'm sure it won't go out of theatres just yet. I will say.. in my personal experience - they will for sure ID you. I'm 23 and I still get ID'd to see rated R movies. Heck, I got ID'd once to see a PG-13 movie!

I've been through hell and back and came out stronger than ever.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: "R" rated movies. - December 11th 2013, 09:39 PM

I have a non-driver's ID for that same reason! I found it a terrible inconvenience to have to give my ID for things that I need and not have one!

As far as the mail goes, what I had to do to get my non-driver ID was go to the DMV and stand in those incredibly annoying lines, so make sure you have time. I also have to fill out a few pieces of paper and then eventually they took my picture and gave me my ID. So for me it was a one-day process and I had a shiny new ID. Other DMVs may do different things, but hey, mine was one-day. I'm not sure if all DMVs take non-driver ID photos, so that's something you'd want to check out.

But, they may or may not card you at the movies. If you look older than your real age they may not, but there's always the chance that they may anyway. You can always ask your friends who have gone to R-rated movies if they have been carded to get a general idea of the experience. It may depend on who is selling you the ticket, or if they'd be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: "R" rated movies. - December 12th 2013, 12:04 AM

I have a non-drivers ID because of my vision (I had to get on a plane and realized I had no ID) See if you can go to a license bureau instead. Since you don't need to take a test to get one, they should be able to issue one to you and the line is A LOT shorter. They issued mine on the spot, but I have a history with the BMV because I got like 5 learner's permits before I gave up.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Re: "R" rated movies. - December 12th 2013, 12:21 AM

ty guys! I'll have to look into a non-license ID. I didn't even know they existed! lol.

Savvy?

Closed Thread