TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ninasju Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nina

Red face Best fandoms + why - September 25th 2015, 08:18 PM

I'm gonna start with 2 reasons I'll follow this thread;
1 - tvshows are the best distractions I've ever used when I can't handle my reality
2 - it gives me inspiration/motivation/communicating skills/+ I'm a soundtrackmaniac

LOST GIRL - it's a scifi/fantasy gold mine, it explains there's always both good & bad in everyone, humor/friendship/relationship goals

FRINGE - this is a true masterpiece. The scifi is to die for, the excitement never ends & it reminds me why love is beautiful

ORPHAN BLACK - also amazing science fiction. Honestly, the most emotional thing with this show is for me the character Helena (long story short she goes from brainwashed to fighting for a new life/ her own mind)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Best fandoms + why - September 26th 2015, 04:12 AM

I'll give my feedback in a while, but first I want to clarify something: are you asking about fandoms, as in the fanbase (so the question would be about the community of fans and why it's good to get involved with them), or the actual show (so the question would be about why it's worth being a fan of the show)? Just so I know how to respond.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ninasju Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nina

Re: Best fandoms + why - September 26th 2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Glittery Queer~* View Post
I'll give my feedback in a while, but first I want to clarify something: are you asking about fandoms, as in the fanbase (so the question would be about the community of fans and why it's good to get involved with them), or the actual show (so the question would be about why it's worth being a fan of the show)? Just so I know how to respond.
Hey! both/either! I mean fandoms doesn't have to be tvshows, it's just that I focus on tvshows. It can be books & movies & stuff to, my idea was if you want to recommend something (that can be described as fandom) then you can also write why you like/love/recommend it

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ellacia Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Best fandoms + why - September 26th 2015, 12:23 PM

When I read "fandoms", I thought it was for K-pop lol. Hmm well, I like a lot of stuffs. If it's books we're talking about, I'm mostly on Cassandra Clare's works and Charlaine Harris' (I've read other works too but I can't remember the authors' names). If it's about music, all I can say is that I'm hooked with J-pop, K-pop, English songs and OPM. As for movies, I like a lot of movies but the most recent ones are Shingeki No Kyojin, Pitch Perfect, and others. I like animes too and Sherlock haha

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shane

Re: Best fandoms + why - September 26th 2015, 01:23 PM

Ah fandoms. On Tumblr I'm part of a few anime fandoms as that's what I like the most, Attack on Titan and Death Note to name some (the Death Note fandom, I have to say, is very friendly and welcoming. So is the Attack on Titan fandom but there is a lot more hate within it because of the amount of character pairings).
I've also been a part of the Wicked fandom for a couple of years now and I'm slowly slipping into the Star Trek fandom, and strangely, I'm part of a fandom for two mobile games (both made by the same company)...

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
elvishqueen Offline
Hello...
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: M

Re: Best fandoms + why - September 26th 2015, 05:01 PM

I have actually spent the majority of the day reading Harry Potter fanfiction. I love Charlaine Harris too, and I guess apart from that all the basic YA book fandoms. And Sherlock too, obviously.

"She wasn’t going to throw it all away for the sake of reaching for the stars.
For her, the ground was where things grew. She intended to stick down there and sow her seeds."

I'm sorry, yet I don't think anyone but me will understand how sorry I really am.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PeaceSoundsNice Offline
I like trains
Average Joe

Name: Dawn

Re: Best fandoms + why - September 26th 2015, 06:26 PM

I have to say that the best fanbase that I have been a part of is the Fossil Fighters fandom. It's a very obscure video game, and because of that, everyone loves everyone. I guess that because we're such a rare breed, no one wants to scare us off. The game is awesome, too. The graphics are a bit lacking, but the concept and storyline are amazing.

"When I'm in a pinch, you can save me, and when you're in a pinch, I'll be there for you. Friends."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Best fandoms + why - September 29th 2015, 02:16 AM

Since I could literally talk about shows/fandoms all day, I'll make an effort to keep it short and just list a few of my favourites.

Teen Wolf.
The first few seasons in particular are good, as long as you're okay with characters disappearing for no apparent reason and with no resolution to their storylines. The fandom itself is usually quite good, as long as you avoid a couple of the main ships; things get very heated depending on who you ship one of the male leads with, and god help you if you mention your favourite ship in a Youtube comment.

Rizzoli & Isles.
Again, the show itself is well worth watching, but the fanbase can be a little... intense. The main conflict there is whether or not you romantically ship the two main characters together, which is a very divisive issue. But if you stay away from the extreme ends of the fanbase it's usually okay.

Finding Carter.
The show's just starting out so it's early days yet, but so far the show has a lot of promise and is kind of underrated. Since the fanbase is kind of small it's also pretty friendly, and there aren't really any major issues, whether shipping or otherwise. If you're up for a bit of teen drama (kind of on the level of Pretty Little Liars, The O.C., that kind of thing) and some brilliant acting (including the practically flawless American accent of the lead actress who's actually adorably English) then I'd definitely recommend it.

Also, just quickly responding to a couple of yours. I've seen the first season of Lost Girl and always kind of meant to pick it up again, but then I read a spoiler for one of the later seasons about a character death and I'm not sure I have the heart now. And Orphan Black is a fantastic show. Helena's storylines just kill me, although Alison's my favourite of the main girls. Also can we just take a moment to appreciate Tatiana Maslany? She deserves way more recognition for her phenomenal versatility. One of my favourite things is watching her play one of the clones pretending to be another clone. It's so great. Also Felix is one of my favourite characters in anything ever.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Best fandoms + why - October 1st 2015, 11:40 PM

Oh, goodness, I am such a huge fangirl. I am the thirstiest of the thirsties on Twitter. But I have 0 followers. At one point, I had 200+ followers within the SVU, BONES, and 7th Heaven fandoms. Then I deleted that account and switched to Grey's. Had about 100ish from Grey's and SVU. Then switched again and ended up with a dozen or so. Then deleted that and a year later (few weeks ago) made my fourth fangirl account.

Anyways, fandoms... Now, I believe separating the people from the show/movies/books because while one may be super awesome and worth fangirling over, the people aren't worth fangirling with because they're too full of drama.

#1 - Harry Potter. Come on, the book is ageless, whether you were born in the 1940s, 1970s or the 2000s... there is no set era in which you would have to been born in to enjoy the series. The books >>>>>>>>>>>>> the movies. Especially if you are a Romione/Ron fan.

#2 - Grey's Anatomy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ I know the show is basically rubbish at this point but I am the kind of girl who sticks through a show that's jumped the shark just for 1) shits and giggles 2) because I want to see how it ends. I believe it got obliterated by the shark last spring for reasons I won't disclose because it is a majormajormajormajor spoiler. Like, super major. Especially if one half of your eleven-year-long OTP is killed off. Like, legit. Bye bye. But I still want to see it despite "everything having changed"

Those two give me the most feels... now for the fans.. Oy, they are a whole other story. That's why I stick to this one forum with heavy moderation. I mean, they're not Nazi's, but they have no tolerance for trolling, flaming, and bashing. (I would insert the nodding smiley but ah, this is TH )

Other fandoms I have been involved with though I didn't go out on Twitter wars with people. I do get pretty D&T when it comes to my fandoms.

7th Heaven - because... I don't know, just because. I think when I first started watching, David Gallagher and Adam LaVorgna were still on it. Man, they were so hot back in the day. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Gilmore Girls - I didn't fangirl over this show with other people. But I love the show. It's unfortunate there was drama with ASP and then the writing quality deteriorated after season 5.

One Tree Hill - Okay, this.... This was my jive for the longest time. I will never forget the countless hours spent in the Neutral Zone between Leyton and Brucas. But Naley, nobody touched Naley. Not even Psycho Carrie! I stopped watching in season 5, because Schwanny got it too much in his head to put Naley through shit, including Psycho Carrie.

Smallville - I was into Lois & Clark as a kid, and then Smallville came on a few years after that other show ended. Which brings me to... I so want to watch Supergirl! It has my girl Chyler in it. I don't much about Kara Zor-El, but I can't wait to see it!

Two more shows from the WB.... that's pretty much all I watched in the heydey, the WB Network.

Buffy - I didn't really get into BtVS until a few years after it was over but I caught a few episodes when it was still on. It is so fucking good, and dude... Vampires that go poof when you stab them. Wicked! (Bella ain't got shit squat on Buffy! Angel doesn't sparkle... Yay for Fetus!DB not sparkling! ) Oh, yeah, and Bangel. ♥ I did not see the big deal about Spuffy.

And finally..... Charmed. ♥ I loved this show, like legit. But I began watching after that bitch left (I believe she's a bitch, you may say otherwise *shrugs* ) the show and Rose McGowan joined. Though the ending sort of sucked.

Oh, that brings me to other network shows. *nods*

Will & Grace... I know there's not a lot of young fangirls out there (though a hot gay guy like Will? C'mon!) that fangirls over the show... Like, I caught a few episodes here and there and I have the whole series on DVD. I just hate the way it ended. Absolutely hated it. And in the end, it almost made W&G seem incestuous (by in-law relation) Absolutely hated it. Nope. Nope. No. Will and Grace belonged together!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Best fandoms + why - October 2nd 2015, 07:10 AM

Pro wrestling fandoms. We have some marky extremes, but the good smarks (Smart mark) are actually welcoming.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

Re: Best fandoms + why - October 2nd 2015, 06:09 PM

The best Fandom I am part of is Doctor Who the tv show just blows my mind, amazing characters, amazing stories and of course amazing acting. I love being able to talk to people who are part of it too. Whovian all the way
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: Best fandoms + why - October 2nd 2015, 11:17 PM

MICHIGAN FOOTBALL

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Best fandoms + why - October 4th 2015, 12:07 AM

FYI: You can't be fans of real things. You can be fans of people. But fangirling is about fictional things. The feels are real, about fictional characters. Getting feels for real people is just... odd.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Best fandoms + why - October 4th 2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilpadde. View Post
FYI: You can't be fans of real things. You can be fans of people. But fangirling is about fictional things. The feels are real, about fictional characters. Getting feels for real people is just... odd.
I respectfully disagree. Think about YouTubers, for example. They're real people with real fanbases, and there's definitely a lot of room for fangirling there. I don't think it's odd or intrusive, as long as it's within reason.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Best fandoms + why - October 5th 2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilpadde. View Post

And finally..... Charmed. ♥ I loved this show, like legit. But I began watching after that bitch left (I believe she's a bitch, you may say otherwise *shrugs* ) the show and Rose McGowan joined. Though the ending sort of sucked.
If you watched it from the beginning Prudence, Piper and Phoebe will always be the original three. It all went downhill after Paige.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread