TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thealan360 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Are teens on Nick/Disney different than in Real life - December 31st 2015, 04:23 PM

So I was watching shows like Austin & Ally, Jessie, Henry Danger, iCarly, & Shake It up, I noticed the teens on that show are usually happy, acting somehow mature, going to school.

While here in my town, most of the teens talk about drugs, sex, drama, they cuss a lot, say stuff like the N word & "deez nuts", they talk so much about drama, that is not even funny.

I am aware that those shows are usually G or PG.

Which is more true in America.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Are teens on Nick/Disney different than in Real life - December 31st 2015, 05:57 PM

It depends on where in the United States you go. I've lived in different parts of the US, and in some places, teenagers are more respectful. They call people by "sir" and "ma'am". In other parts, teenagers are incredibly disrespectful and irresponsible. But, I do think that while the area makes a difference, you're going to have a different mix of maturity in people wherever you go in this world. It depends on how they're raised, too. A lot of people are also shaped by the things they go through on a daily basis and they tend to go one way or the other with that. For instance, people have told me on several occasions that they forget how old I am because I act a lot older than my age. I am like this because of life experiences, but those same experiences could have made me go the other way, too.

I hope that makes sense.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LifeTheRonWay Offline
I live to serve
Average Joe

Name: Ron

Re: Are teens on Nick/Disney different than in Real life - December 31st 2015, 07:06 PM

I think the people on tv are more worried about their ratings than the kids walking down the streets. Of course I think most things on TV are fabricated.
It does vary person to person though, as well as location to location. I'm sure there is a more respectable group of people you could find just like you talked about the ones that like to cuss, talk about drugs and be drama llamas.

Revenge is a poison meant for others that we end up swallowing ourselves.
Vengeance is a dark light that blinds all who seek it.
The untroubled soul knows there is no justice in revenge.
The untroubled soul knows that to seek vengeance, is to seek destruction.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Are teens on Nick/Disney different than in Real life - January 1st 2016, 12:08 AM

Short answer; yes, they are different. And it's done deliberately. Television characters, particularly on sitcoms and shows aimed at younger audiences, tend to be over-the-top and larger-than-life. It makes for more interesting TV, better ratings, crazier storylines, etc. The shows you mentioned aren't meant to be representative of real life, so there's bound to be some differences between the teens you see on TV and the ones in real life. I can't speak from experience since you asked about America specifically and I'm not from there, but I'm guessing that most of the actual teens you'll come across will be somewhere in between: not as extravagant as you see in the shows you mentioned, but not as dramatic as the real-life examples you used. Then again, you'll also get a mixture of the two as there's a broad spectrum of what's "normal" for teenagers.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Are teens on Nick/Disney different than in Real life - January 1st 2016, 02:51 PM

No. Real life is not like these shows. The shows are aimed at a fairly young audience, there isn't going to be any "foul" language because it's TV. The actors for most of those shows are quite a bit older than the roles they play on TV, they also have expensive wardrobes and people doing their hair and makeup before each shot. Scripts are written by professionals. They're meant to be over the top and for most Disney and Nick shows, unrealistic.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

Closed Thread