TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Good shows to watch? - February 27th 2018, 10:05 PM

I am trying to find some good shows for my boyfriend and I to watch.

We have watched stranger things, game of thrones, some walking dead.

I'm not a huge fan of comedy so I'd like to avoid that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Doesn't matter where it airs (Netflix, Hulu, HBO)

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MorbidDaisies Offline
< < > >
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Good shows to watch? - February 28th 2018, 08:32 AM

Ooh! Supernatural, Grimm, Vikings, Black Mirror.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Good shows to watch? - February 28th 2018, 10:07 AM

Allow my list:

Firefly- Sci-fi action
Castle- murder mystery+ comedy
Suits- Law based
Altered Carbon- sci-fi thriller
Vikings- Historical Action
Homeland- drama action
Agents of SHIELD- Action
The Flash- Action superhero
FRIENDS- Comedy, but is the greatest show ever
Breaking Bad- drama action
The Blacklist- Crime

Hope this helps. Also, idk if it's allowed, but here's a link to an IMDB page about great shows.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Good shows to watch? - February 28th 2018, 01:17 PM

Thank you both. I will look into these.

I know my boyfriend has already seen Firefly. He is a huge fan.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Good shows to watch? - March 1st 2018, 09:23 PM

I know you said no comedy, but are there any other criteria to keep in mind? Any genres or themes you particularly like, anything that tends to put you off, examples of other shows you enjoy? Do you want something that's already finished or something that's currently airing? Without more information I may just start listing all the shows, and that might be a very long list.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Good shows to watch? - March 1st 2018, 09:36 PM

A couple that I'll recommend that I've been enjoying:

If you guys are at all into the Marvel universe, check out Jessica Jones on Netflix. Totally worth watching.

Another show I've been really enjoying has been Riverdale, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I have. But I really enjoy it. The first season is on Netflix, the second season is currently airing on the CW

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Good shows to watch? - March 19th 2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narrative. View Post
I know you said no comedy, but are there any other criteria to keep in mind? Any genres or themes you particularly like, anything that tends to put you off, examples of other shows you enjoy? Do you want something that's already finished or something that's currently airing? Without more information I may just start listing all the shows, and that might be a very long list.
I totally forgot about this thread because after I made it ... I kind of fell apart for a bit.

So, I hope it's okay I re-opened it so that I can respond to the above post.

I don't think there is any other criteria besides no comedy. I mean, I can handle certain comedy shows like futurama, the simpsons and some south park. I also like shows that include comedic parts but aren't comedies.

My boyfriend likes sci-fi and fantasy as do I. He has also watched Norco's so I think he can/does like some crime shows etc?

I would probably prefer completed series or almost completed? Like going to be complete within the next year or two? I am already watching the walking dead and I hate having to wait for a new season ... and I need the show to have a series finale soon but that might just be me

My boyfriend and I watched the strain ... it's a spin on zombies because it's basically vampires taking over the world. That was only four seasons and we enjoyed that mostly.

I like horror and he does to an extent. Marvel is cool and we do have access to some of the shows. We started Jessica Jones ... and need to finish it so we can get into Luke Cage etc.

If a show has a premise that sounds interesting I'll give it a chance...most of the time I notice shows with too many seasons ... drag on ... I really enjoyed the first 5? seasons of american horror story but couldn't get into the other two. I used to really enjoy grey's anatomy but ... it just keeps going ... I do want to watch Scandal as I've seen some of it and I know it is ending this year or ended last year...just not sure that would be my boyfriends cup of tea.

I know my boyfriend enjoyed expanse and battlestar galactica (I think?). I might be okay with some of that as I used to like star trek.

(If I shouldn't have re-opened this please let me know...I just felt it was better to reopen than to make a whole new thread about the same exact topic. I believe we've allowed threads to be re-opened in the past so that users could add to it etc)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Good shows to watch? - March 19th 2018, 03:40 PM

Hmmm, I know a really good family drama show. It's called Heartland. Currently, they are almost finished season 11 and waiting to hear if they will do another season. The storyline always changes and it gets better. I've learned a lot from the show and I grew up with it. It's a lovely show to watch over a meal or during the weekend.

Another family oriented show is Party of Five.

I haven't watched Netflix in a long time.

A show I saw recently which is based in 1920's and it's a detective show called Frankie Drake Mysteries. It has a bit of everything, mystery, thrill, suspense, some eerie scenes. It only has one season so far, but I really enjoyed it. For another mystery detective show that has a few seasons it's called, Murdoch Mysteries.

I am not sure if those would be something both you and your boyfriend would enjoy.

The 100 is sifi and I enjoyed watching it. I didn't finish season 1 yet but from what I saw it was really interesting.

Those are the ones I can think of right now.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Good shows to watch? - March 21st 2018, 12:23 AM

So, suggestions - bearing in mind that I can't guarantee where they're available because we don't have many streaming services here:
  • Orphan Black. It's complete now with five fairly short seasons, and it's quite intense and gritty at times. Genre-wise it's kind of sci-fi/biopunk, and there are some fantastic characters in it. The show follows a group of people who discover that they're all part of an illegal human cloning experiment, which, as the subjects, they're absolutely not supposed to know about, and they have to figure out how to work together and find out what's really going on. It's very suspenseful and fast-paced, but there are some lighter moments as well.
  • The 100. This one's still ongoing, season five is set to start soon and I'm a season behind at the moment, but it's also really good. It's based on the novel series, which I've been meaning to read. Basically the earth is all but destroyed, and almost a hundred years later some of the survivors are forced to come back down and try to re-establish some kind of civilisation there. It's got elements of sci fi and dystopian fiction, and it's also dramatic and almost a thriller at times.
  • iZombie. This one is fairly heavy on the comedy element, but I figured I'd throw it in there because you mentioned a couple of other zombie-related shows. It's about a medical examiner who gets turned into a zombie, but the catch is that whenever she eats a brain, she takes on characteristics from that person as well as gaining some of their memories - which she then uses to solve their murders. It's in its fourth season now.
Here are some shows that I haven't personally watched but have heard good things about:
  • Wynonna Earp (dark fantasy/horror western, third season coming out later this year)
  • Lucifer (fantasy/crime/horror, in its third season at the moment)
  • Black Mirror (sci fi/dystopian, four seasons so far)
And if you're after something older, some classics are:
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Dollhouse
  • Lost
Hopefully some of those sound interesting at least. Happy watching!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread