TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Music Discuss your favorite musicians and music, whether you listen or play, here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Freedom. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Musicial influences. - December 5th 2016, 03:46 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Do you think certain songs influence you to do positive and/or negative things?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Musicial influences. - December 5th 2016, 03:59 AM

No but I listen to certain songs and groups more when I am depressed etc.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Musicial influences. - December 5th 2016, 07:04 AM

very honestly, I'd say no.
I am a metalhead (someone who listens to metal), and if music influenced me like that I'd be out killing people or something. Yes, my music does involve themes of violence, drug use, satan worship, death, sex, but does it influence me? No.
Music, in my opinion, may connect with you. You might feel the emotions that the band/singer is talking about, and it may hit really, really close to you, but it won't influence you any more than say watching an action film would influence you to become James Bond.
Just my two cents.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Musicial influences. - December 5th 2016, 01:42 PM

It might, but it doesn't have to.

Listening to Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power always fills me with confidence and encourages me to get through life with more boom and with head held high.

On the other hand I might listen to something like Dark Funeral and not wish to suddenly turn into a theistic satanist.

It depends what you make of it.

The risk I took was calculated, but boy, am I bad at math.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Musicial influences. - December 5th 2016, 06:19 PM

I wouldn't say that there are songs that push me to do certain things, but I do have quite a few songs that can push me to a more negative or positive place mentally.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Musicial influences. - December 7th 2016, 01:45 AM

I never used to, but the song "Under The Knife" by Icon For Hire and it encourages me to self harm. And whenever I think I need to, I listen to this song.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#7 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Musicial influences. - December 7th 2016, 03:55 AM

Music has energy vibrations and that can affect a person's mood because moods are also energetic vibrations. That said, there's many factors that influence a person's mood, from the food we eat to how much sleep we get, to the people we interact with, to the weather and season, to the colors we wear, to the way we arrange furniture.
I can understand when people say that sad music helps them when they're depressed and happy music annoys them when they're depressed. It is like meeting a person telling you "just snap out of it and smile" Like, you have to want to hear that for it to resonate with you. That can also mean choosing music carefully can be a good idea.
If I had the time and attention span, I would sit down and arrange playlists based on my moods. Like I would have categories "sad", "tired","joyful" "lonely"
Human emotions are more complicated than happy and sad. Actually, I made a fortune teller one time when I was bored and decided to write out song titles instead of the numbers and emotions relating to that song title instead of fortune predictions. I'm not sure how I came up with that but yeah I must've been really bored.
For different negative emotions, I want different things, as with positive emotions. So for example, if I feel hopeless, I don't want a nihilistjc song, I actually want one that acknowledges pain but still has hope. I don't want one too jolly and smiley though. If I'm feeling lonely, I want to feel connected and would like song lyrics to describe that feeling because hearing music about loneliness is like storytelling. And I don't necessarily need to hear "there is hope" I might just like a neutral ending to the song with no "it gets better" but no "it gets worse" either. I just want a song that can matxh my emotional state and articulate what I'm going through.
Not all sad songs resonate with me and therefore not all sad songs can influence me in a significant way. Because I don't listen to music I don't like xD
I was watching a video on music therapy a while back. This is therapy though so it keep in mind the setting. But the person speaking in the video talked about how music can help with anger. It takes 20 minutes for the brain to calm down from anger if given the right environment and music can be a tool to facilitate that environment. So what she said was, you make a playlist that lasts 20 minutes. And it is like a gradation of angry to more soothing songs to slowly ease things out. And first you have to be receptive to the music, which is where the angry song comes in to match your angry mood, and the process is like I visualize someone taking my hand an do gently moving me away from what's angering me. I think that's when angry rock music has been helpful. I would also say this technique allowed me to also be accepting towards happy music or calming music because in that context it helped.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Musicial influences. - December 10th 2016, 01:13 AM

I do find that some songs have bad influences on me. Some of them I tend to think about self harm, suicide, or eating disorders and I tend to also get triggered from those thoughts. However, when I'm depressed I tend to listen to these types of songs for some reason.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread