TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Smile Amazing people - March 30th 2015, 10:21 AM

Hello there I'm not certain that this thread is suited to this category (media and entertainment), but it seems like the most coherent one in which to place it.

I think this will be more interesting for the slightly younger users, since this is something that they are probably more part of than the older users.

So anyway, I have never been one of those girls who gets obsessed over a certain celebrity or actor, who has that "fangirl" mindset, and it fascinates me how so many people can get so caught up this world of fame and admiration from afar, and how someone can feel to close to someone who lives across the world, who they have never met, who they have only caught snippets of through the media. Why are some of us so fixated on those people? What more do they have than others? Well, often it's because they have an amazing voice, or they are great at acting, or they write inspiring novels, or because they have great charisma and have amazing personalities, or maybe it's simply because they are really, really good looking! Those people who we barely know can become such a big part of our lives, often as role models, sometimes to the point of them taking an almost godly dimension.
Well, I totally respect that, and I agree that these talents are worth gaping at. But I've come to realize something which many people maybe haven't, and it's that those "amazing" people with "amazing" talents, they are all around us! I could write a whole book about all of those people who I know and who are just as amazing as the celebrities we see on television. There is Esther, Léa and India who are amazing singers, Emma who is a fantastic dancer, my father who is an ace guitarist, my mother who is a talented poet, my great grandmother who is amazingly inspiring, Paul, Alexandra and Esther who are great actors, Lisa who is the most hilarious person I know (in a good way!)... In fact, every single person who I know is amazing in his own way, wether he is talented at a certain craft or if there is a part of his personality which I admire.

There are several points that I'm trying to make here. First of all, that those celebrities we see everyday through the media, they may be portrayed as gods and the perfect idols, but they are just regular people -- which does not make them any less amazing.
Second of all, we can see just as many amazing people in our every day lives: friends, relatives, teachers, acquaintances... and that is something to be grateful for.
And lastly, you don't need to be good at a certain craft, like acting, singing, or dancing to be amazing. You just have to be you!

I cannot enumerate the times that a friend has told me how much she loves such and such a celebrity for her acting/ singing/ writing skills, and when we have ignored the fact that there are people like that all around us. And I don't know that many of us realize how incredibly blessed we are to know such people.

I hope you liked this, and I hope that you will start recognising amazingness (let's just pretend this is a real word!) around you more and more, and that we are all truly amazing in our own ways.

Skye .

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Amazing people - April 13th 2015, 01:41 AM

I think this is a really interesting way to look at it all. Personally I do 'fangirl' quite a bit, but almost exclusively over fictional characters. I think it would be good if we all sometimes took the time to look a bit closer to home. Maybe if we spent a little less time obsessing over celebrities and a little more time encouraging and supporting those around us, we'd all be a little bit happier.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread