TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Matter Offline
The Space Essence
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Will people in a few hundred years romanticise terrorists? - May 29th 2017, 04:53 PM

Hi,
recently I've been thinking about how we romanticise pirates nowadays. The Golden Age of piracy (and not only that time) spawned plenty of books and - a bit later - films, pieces of music and games that tell the stories of pirates. Civilians alive during the outbursts of piracy were surely horrified and lived in a constant fear; however, nowadays the threat seems to be a thing of a distant past (as most of us barely hear anything about modern pirates). That might be the cause of these criminals being romanticised and turned into swashbuckling, witty adventurers such as the beloved captain Jack Sparrow. And Sparrow is just one of an infinite number of examples.
That led me to this question - will people in some time romanticise modern-day terrorists this way? What are your thoughs on this?
Take care!
Sue

Life begins where fear ends

Last edited by Matter; May 29th 2017 at 07:26 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Will people in a few hundred years romanticise terrorists? - May 29th 2017, 07:17 PM

I honestly hope it's not going to happen.

A pirate is lighter and in some ways, easier to use as a character trait/occupation or even for kids to dress up as at Halloween or kids parties. That said, I DON'T see that happening with terrorists anytime soon, or at least not before it's seen as too heavy. Maybe society will lighten up to terrorism like they did with pirates, but I honestly will dread the day that that really happens

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Will people in a few hundred years romanticise terrorists? - May 30th 2017, 01:15 AM

I don't think so and if they did I would assume it would be like 100 years down the line.

I think the reason pirates have been romanticized is because people are under the impression that pirates get to do whatever they want, they get to travel all over etc. A lot of people view that kind of 'freedom' as romantic and cool.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Will people in a few hundred years romanticise terrorists? - May 30th 2017, 06:39 AM

Hey there,

I really hope terrorists are never romanticized. I think terrorism is always going to be very real and relevant, so I doubt it will ever come to that.

Along with the freedom that people associate with pirates, I think there's also a certain distance to them. I've known people, especially kids, that didn't know pirates really existed, so it's easier to attach that fantasy element to it, since it isn't something that impacts a majority of the world directly.

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Will people in a few hundred years romanticise terrorists? - May 30th 2017, 05:56 PM

Sammi and abibliophobe are right, and my first exposure to pirates was Captain Hook in Peter Pan. He was a bad guy, sure, but it was still a kiddie movie and he didn't do anything too horrid. Though, I saw an anime a few years ago with another THer (we streamed it) and that pirate was brutal. He actually shot at a little girl. She was an obnoxious brat, but to be shot at? Damn. So it's all about perception and origins too. Because that anime was developed in Japan while Pirates of the Caribbean and Peter Pan were developed in the United States. Different regions around the world have different perception of pirates and what they mean to the common person.

Of course, I'm just basing this off two* movies and an anime. Anime tend to be more on the rough, darker side if I'm correct. Also, Japan allows the things that are banned in the United States. Maybe my perception is too Americanized, but I'm sure others have the same opinion about films from other parts of the world VS their home country. (* two because PotC is a series)

Now, getting back to the question: will terrorists ever be romanticized? I hate to say this, but they probably are now in very specific countries but we have no idea because they are, clearly, banned in the rest of the world. It's like trying to venture on a site that is blacklisted by the FBI, we have no way of actually knowing without turning up the red flag on Google.

But as for the countries where films that romanticizes terrorists are banned? Well, this brings in the question of censorship as well. It's more like "if the ban is ever lifted..." and I hope it isn't.

I'm sorry I didn't directly answer the question and that this ended up being an essay, but I thought I'd drop my ten cents.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Will people in a few hundred years romanticise terrorists? - May 31st 2017, 06:22 AM

I already see the romaticisation of terrorists. There's already terrorist costumes in halloween and movies that depict them as bad guys like others have suggested. Though I would think it would not be the same like pirates. I think it would be different I guess. I'd hope it wouldn't but in this capitalistic world perhaps whatever to make money will cause it to happen??

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Will people in a few hundred years romanticise terrorists? - June 1st 2017, 07:05 AM

It already is romanticised, just not in western countries.

Closed Thread