TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Too late to become a musician? - January 14th 2009, 08:48 PM

I'm 21 years old going on 22. I have pretty much no experience with instruments, producing, singing, etc. The only experience I ever had with instruments and singer were in elementary music classes, and I wasn't excellent. I wanted to be a rapper and I have been occasionally coming up with verses since 2005, but there's definitely not enough of them in a matter of 4 years. Most of them aren't even full songs. Plus I pretty much have no experience with writing to beats.

Everyone starts their growth as a musician during their childhood while growing up during and paying attention to the most important moments during their era of music. Plus they may do research on the golden eras before them and keep up with those eras' releases. I don't really know about the history of any genre, musical origins, etc. I never paid much attention to music from the era I was supposed to thrive on. Since I'm past all that, is it too late?

Plus there's too many albums to keep up with now. I never built up a collection of albums when I was younger. If I'm not not a respectable music fan at this age and in this age, then should I just give up?

Do you think it's too late?

Peace.

Last edited by IH8U2; January 14th 2009 at 09:20 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Too late to become a musician? - January 14th 2009, 08:53 PM

Hi there.

Please know, I'm not trying to encourage you to give up on your dreams or anything here, but I do think you should focus on something more...in reach. To be perfectly honest, probably 99/100 musicians don't make it, and some probably 50% of those 99 have been training since they were wee tots. And yes, I just made up all of those statistics, but my point is, it's not realistic to expect to make a living off of something you have no experience with. So, maybe on the side? I bet you could have a lot of fun with that as a hobby. But, for financial reasons and, I guess, life reasons, focus on something tangible.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Too late to become a musician? - January 14th 2009, 08:58 PM

Yeah, this is something I wanna do on the side.

Oh, I meant to say, "there's definitely not enough of them in a matter of 4 years."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Joe Offline
Joe, The Average Joe
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Joe

Re: Too late to become a musician? - January 14th 2009, 09:01 PM

Yeah, do it as a hobby and don't expect much. But you might get lucky, who knows.
Just learn how to rap and produce, keep doing it, get good at it, and sell your stuff in the internet if you wish (but show it first to some people).

Just do it because you like it. I myself am very young and practice alot, but I'm not really expecting much, heh...

If you want to be famous, yes it's pretty hard, at any age.
If you want to do it for fun and perhaps win some money, it's not too late, and it's very possible in my opinion.
  Send a message via AIM to Joe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Pandaloo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Too late to become a musician? - January 15th 2009, 11:21 AM

Yeah i agree. Have it as a side "job". Just practise practise practise, it's never too late to get involved. You don't have to go straight for it. There is plenty of pleasure in booking in at a local pub to do a quick gig or something.

I'm not entirely sure where rappers go however, as i've enver been involved with that type of music.

If it's something you really want to try out and be passionate about, just go for it. But yeah, keep it has a side hobby and not a main job, and hopefully get noticed. Good luck

(#6 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: Too late to become a musician? - January 16th 2009, 12:48 AM

It's never too late to get into music. Search the net for some of the more highly regarded rappers and their albums and give them a listen. If you're serious about this then listen to a lot of music, and as wide a variety as you have a taste for.
Take up an instrument, either with a teacher or a book, etc. Learn some theory.
It'll be slow going at first but everyone goes through the slow stage. Don't give up.

Good luck!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: Too late to become a musician? - January 16th 2009, 03:22 AM

It is hard to get into the music business no matter how much talent or experience you have unless you have friends in high places. Maybe do it is as a hobby? Do shows in bars or them rapping competitions (I watched 8 Miles a few nights ago so I'm going along with what I saw on that, sorry). It's good to have a Plan B, something similiar happened to me so now I can't do what I want to do in life.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

Closed Thread