TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nixie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Exclamation Laptops - July 5th 2009, 10:52 PM

What are the best brands of laptops that range from around $299-$450 range?

• Dell - Some say it is good, others say it sucks
  • Toshiba - No complaints as far as I've heard yet
  • HP - Great
  • Sony - Awesome, but outta my range
  • Mac - Same as Sony
  • Compaq - Good, but can poop out from time to time (?)
  • Acer - Fairly well, but has some problems sometimes as well
  • e-Machines - Bad
Any others I missed, feel free to share.

I was thinking of an HP, Compaq, or a Dell. Mainly Dell or Compaq. But does anyone have any other comments or suggestions?

I want to get inside your mind;
I want you to expand mine.
  Send a message via MSN to Nixie  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Laptops - July 5th 2009, 11:41 PM

I personally have a Toshiba Satellite Pro - I believe it was reasonably cheap and I have never had any complaints with it. Other people I know with the same laptop would also recommend it.
I also have a much more expensive HP laptop and all I've ever had with that is trouble, so I really wouldn't recommend an HP, but obviously thats just my one experience.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Laptops - July 5th 2009, 11:50 PM

Personally, I've had many issues with Acers and Dells. I have a Toshiba and I love it. It is a $1,500 machine but I got it for about $650 around Christmas time (2008). I have had no problems with it at all. I'd highly recommend it. HPs are good as well, from what I hear. I just haven't had any experience with one.

SUP BRO.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Swiftx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Laptops - July 6th 2009, 12:03 AM

I also have a Toshiba laptop, I have never experienced any problems with them. I have 2 of them (both toshiba). One is a year and half old, and one is a few months old. I've never had any problems with them!

As for Acer, I had many many problems with, it was horrible! My brother owns a HP laptop, and he's never experienced any problems with his either. I would definitely recommend a Toshiba (:

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: Laptops - July 6th 2009, 12:19 AM

I have a expensive HP Laptop and never had any issues with it.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Laptops - July 6th 2009, 12:36 AM

I have a Toshiba. Great piece of machinery. xD
The only issue I had with it is the hard drive crashed. xD Small issue, but it was my fault. Hahha.

Iff at alllll possible, wait until you have a slightly better range to get quality. It is what I should have done.

....and whatever you do, don't get a Dell...

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If I’m alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
I’ll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Laptops - July 7th 2009, 12:40 AM

From my personal experience don't buy DELL. I used to have one and I would always have a problem or something wrong with it.
Now I have an HP, and it is the best investment I made. They are expensive, but work good.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Laptops - July 7th 2009, 04:35 PM

Toshibas are great and reliable and cheap. HPs are good, but I had one at school and I wasn't a big fan of it. Acers are okay. Dells aren't that great. Sonys are great.

If you're willing to spend a little more money, go with a Sony or maybe even an HP. But if you want a cheaper laptop, go with a Toshiba. They've always been reliable.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Laptops - July 7th 2009, 07:51 PM

I won't comment on any except Dell. Dell quality decreases with price. Many top-end Dells fail early, while I have a cheap ultralight Latitude laptop which is about 4 yrs old and isn''t complaining even though it's had about 6 different operating systems installed (well the NTLDR is foobar but thats another story and more my fault than Dell's ).

But in general stay away from dell and look up reviews of the model you're looking for, not just the brand.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: Laptops - July 8th 2009, 05:06 PM

Yeah, it's generally the specifications of all the components that you're gonna want to look at more than a brand.
The brand is after all, just who put the various pieces together. It's how good the pieces are that you want to know.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Laptops - July 8th 2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancertex78 View Post
Toshibas are great and reliable and cheap. HPs are good, but I had one at school and I wasn't a big fan of it. Acers are okay. Dells aren't that great. Sonys are great.

If you're willing to spend a little more money, go with a Sony or maybe even an HP. But if you want a cheaper laptop, go with a Toshiba. They've always been reliable.
I have a Sony Vaio CS. It's AMAZING. It's so beautiful, and well made. It plays Sims 3 and I'm sure most other games. It wasn't cheap though, It was around 1,100 dollars. That was a huge present to me from my boyfriend. If you have the money, I highly recommend it.

Toshiba is good. One of the reasons I didn't get a Toshiba Satellite is because they touchbad has like... Indents in it? I think It would make my fingers numb after how long I'm usually on the computer. That's a big deal when It comes to me and laptops. I mean, It's pretty good looking. Go to a store and find a Toshiba to test out.

Dells aren't that good, they are one of the lower end laptops. Look on ebay and you'll see a million Inspirons people have gotten sick of. It's just not one of the better laptops out there.

HP is a good brand. They are good looking laptops, good processors and not too expensive. I actually was going for a 13 inch Hp before I got my Sony Vaio. I changed my mind, and I'm glad I did though. They also have a laptop where It turns into a "doodle pad" where you can write and things. If you're one of those artist people, this is something you might like.

If you're a gamer, the Dell XPS is actually a good laptop. Alienware is supposed to be the top gaming laptop in the "whole universe."

Macs are amazing... If you don't play games.

That's my knowledge of laptop brands.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Laptops - July 8th 2009, 05:53 PM

The only ones up there... That you can afford, I havent heard bad from are HP and Toshiba, d go for one of them... But to be honest if you buy cheap you may well ned up buying again... So if you possibly could stretch to Sony they're almost faultless loll. I know where your coming from though they are ridiculously priced, I did go for a cheap acer though, as did my mum, and no extended warranty, and it broke within a month of the standard one running out, and I cant afford to get it fixed! So I bought a bit more expensive, but Id never go acer again!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Terra Rae Offline
Telescope <3
Not a n00b

Name: Terra Rae

Re: Laptops - July 8th 2009, 06:26 PM

I have a reasonably cheap Toshiba that I've never had any problems with other than those I caused myself xD My dad also has a Toshiba he's had for years and it still performs great, even compared to my newer one.

My mother has a Dell that has been a pain in her behind since the moment she got it, so I guess I wouldn't recommend a Dell.

Don't patronize,
I realize,
I'm losing and this is my
real life.

"The way to a man's heart truly is through his stomach. None of those pesky ribs to stab through." <3

(#14 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Laptops - July 8th 2009, 07:38 PM

I have a Toshiba Equium, have had it for about 3 years or so. In the beginning i managed to get loads of problems but they were all fixed due to the warranty and me looking up solutions online, been running smoothly for a while now, it only lags cos of the amount of music i store on here, it's really not for that xD I think this was one of the more expensive ones but i'm pretty sure you can get laptops cheaply these days!
Sony Vaio's are also pretty damn good, i have some friends with them and they're quite cheap as well!
I've heard Dell are not too good, they're really hyped up i think.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Nixie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: Laptops - July 9th 2009, 05:02 AM

Thanks, you guys! All of these comments have really help shape my decision. I think I'm going to try out a Toshiba laptop since I don't have the kind of money to spend on a Sony Vaio or a real high quality HP. But, really, thanks! Appreciation to all!

I want to get inside your mind;
I want you to expand mine.
  Send a message via MSN to Nixie  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Laptops - July 9th 2009, 01:35 PM

Yay! Since the OP seems satisfied, I'm going to close this now.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

Closed Thread