TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

How do you develop self-control? - February 5th 2011, 01:57 PM

I was given money for financial aid and I already thought about things to buy. I really miss playing TAG on Forza 3, but xbox live is 60 bucks a year. I could buy racing games on my PC and buy a Logitech G27 steering wheel and shit for 300 dollars, but that's 300 dollars to race a fake car. That's kind of pathetic. But I'd save money in the long run. Assuming you didn't have a source of income, how would you distinguish between the stuff that you actually want from the random things that you just think about buying when you have the money to buy it? How do you develop self-control when it comes to buying technology?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: How do you develop self-control? - February 5th 2011, 10:25 PM

Well, I never have any money, ever, and my parents don't particularly enjoy buying stuff for me, so the distinction has always been pretty clear in my mind.

What you could try doing: take a piece of paper and write down everything you want to buy right now. Put it in a drawer for like a week. Then, take it out and cross off everything that you don't want anymore. That should give you a slightly better idea of what you really want and what was just a whim at the moment.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: How do you develop self-control? - February 6th 2011, 05:03 PM

My parents hate buying video games for me. They tell me I have to save up for it and buy it myself. I wait for prices to go down on video games or I see who else has them so I can socialize and play.

Anyways, what do you need vs want? You have to look at the prices, how often you would use this thing, what the warranty details are, etc. It is more so, what would you use and not what would you play for a couple of weeks and put down. So if you would do xbox live, what would you buy, what are the prices, can you see yourself balancing your life and playing these games enough? Or, if you found a cheaper price for the steering wheel, would you play this a lot? Would you have people over etc...

Tips-always check Ebay and Amazon for cheaper prices, ALWAYS compare prices for the best deal BUT make sure you are buying from a valid website/user (look at the ratings of the user or if the site is well known etc). Check used game stores (I found an amazing place that sells games for cheappppp and it shames GameStop) but make sure that you are getting the game/item in good condition

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: How do you develop self-control? - February 6th 2011, 06:30 PM

As a poor student, I have to say...I honestly have no idea, but I somehow manage >.>.

It's like, whenever I get the urge to buy something, which is often, I stop and come back to it later and see if it still seems an awesome idea. That said, I only do that since I do kinda have a problem with impulse buying new games that I might not even play past the first hour or two depending on how much I like them.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: How do you develop self-control? - February 6th 2011, 06:30 PM

Make a list of essentials. Budget for food/clothes/books per month.

Maybe limit yourself to buying something you want, as a treat once a month or couple of months?

It is hard, but if you don't save money and something urgent comes up? you need to have something saved away.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How do you develop self-control? - February 10th 2011, 08:33 PM

I have a list in my journal titled 'Possible Future Acquisitions.'
And it's reeeeally long. Whenever I want something, I just add it to the list and tell myself that I WILL eventually get it...just not right now. If it's really driving me crazy, I'll put it in a proper list in order of how much I want each thing.

Usually, though, I don't end up getting anything. Or if I do, it's just like a Christmas or birthday thing. I suck. I suppose it's easier if you're frugal, too (like myself). You could also let yourself have one nice thing a month (in terms of gaming equipment and such). That way you still get what you want and you won't burn through all of your money.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do you develop self-control? - February 12th 2011, 08:55 PM

I usually ask myself these questions when purchasing technology

- Is it something I need? If not, then why do I want it? Is this purchase getting in the way of something I need?
- Will I use this piece of technology enough for it to be worthwhile?
- Will this piece of technology compel me to buy more accessories related to it, meaning more money?
- Is it at a good price?

If I had a limited amount of resources, my way of going about it is: I don't need to have an iPod/PS3/ (fill in the technology here) to progress in life. If I don't need it, why should I spend the money on it, especially if I have a limited source of income and there are more important things I need to buy/pay for? I need to change my lifestyle or improve my income because my income does not support the lifestyle I want. The more likely option for me now is to change my lifestyle. Sure that means I won't get to do some of the things I want, but it won't deter me from the things I need.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: How do you develop self-control? - February 17th 2011, 07:05 PM

I look at it this way..
Is it something I'll beat quickly or get bored of?

But I like the store gamestop You can trade in old games and stuff, but idk if they have one where you live. but they do have a website gamestop.com They're really cheap on games.

Also, there's ebay.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
Closed Thread