TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Piracy - February 22nd 2011, 06:46 PM

What are your thoughts on Piracy of anything, Music, Movies, Video Games or Texts.

Anything, where do you stand on the idea of downloading material for free.

A few points to think about.

1) The copying and distributing of material does not cause any loss for the Producer of the material, none. The only affect is has is the potential sale, that the person who downloaded it would have bought it, no money is lost, just potential money isn't gained.

2) Used games/movies are worse for companies than Piracy.

3) Most game companies will release unfinished (or cut) games, and release content that should have been in retail as DLC.

4) Lots of games have no demo or way to trial it, meaning you blindly buy it and if its shit, all you can do is return/trade it in, then it becomes a used game.

5) Games are expensive, while CD's can be pricey to (15$ for something you may like 2-3 tracks on is retarded) This is where itunes comes into play, you can download single songs which is GREAT, and I'm sure stopped many people for just straight up downloading it. But there is no possible way to do this for gaming, 15$ for a quarter of the game? No ones going to do that.

I do pirate, I'll admit it. But I try and buy the shit I really enjoy out of it, but sometimes I can't afford it/don't think its worth paying for and here we are, I won't try to justify it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Piracy - February 22nd 2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mIssIng:nO View Post
2) Used games/movies are worse for companies than Piracy.

3) Most game companies will release unfinished (or cut) games, and release content that should have been in retail as DLC.

4) Lots of games have no demo or way to trial it, meaning you blindly buy it and if its shit, all you can do is return/trade it in, then it becomes a used game.

5) But there is no possible way to do this for gaming, 15$ for a quarter of the game? No ones going to do that.
I like the idea of downloading material for free.

I don't see why big companies are complaining, they make so much money. Big companies are becoming too greedy.

2. You're right.

3. This is what pisses me off the most, lets take Black Ops for example. They used 2 maps from campaign and put it into the DLC, seriously wtf?

5. You think no one will do that? Tones of people on Xbox bought the map pack for Black Ops. Treyarch would've made well over $5, 000, 000 from the DLC alone. Half of the DLC was already in the game...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Piracy - February 22nd 2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I like the idea of downloading material for free.

I don't see why big companies are complaining, they make so much money. Big companies are becoming too greedy.

2. You're right.

3. This is what pisses me off the most, lets take Black Ops for example. They used 2 maps from campaign and put it into the DLC, seriously wtf?

5. You think no one will do that? Tones of people on Xbox bought the map pack for Black Ops. Treyarch would've made well over $5, 000, 000 from the DLC alone. Half of the DLC was already in the game...
I didn't mean DLC thats entirely different, I meant literally paying for a demo.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Amember Offline
Average Joe

Name: Matt

Re: Piracy - February 22nd 2011, 08:56 PM

Yo ho ho it's a pirates life for me.

I've bought 2 OS's, 2 albums and several song in the past 2 years. I've only bought music due to the pure obsession I have, plus I got goodies with it + a t-shirt (for both artists). And I prefer a legitimate OS to not go through the hassle of manually removing the WAT system on my OS to bypass the genuine check. Other than that, everything else I download because I can and I will. This ranges from PC applications, PC Games, Music, TV shows, Movies, Xbox 360 Games, Xbox 360 DLC, Nintendo DS game and Nintendo Wii games + conent. Without piracy I would not have half the experience I gained, so piracy has given me plenty of knowledge and experience. Especially considering half the things I get are like "Woah, holy shit pricey". ie. Adobe.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Piracy - February 23rd 2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mIssIng:nO View Post
I didn't mean DLC thats entirely different, I meant literally paying for a demo.
Oh my bad, I didn't really understand what you meant at first. You're right tho, no one will pay money for a demo.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Amember Offline
Average Joe

Re: Piracy - February 23rd 2011, 02:18 PM

I've never seen a demo you've had to pay for before?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Piracy - February 23rd 2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amember View Post
I've never seen a demo you've had to pay for before?
Thats my point

You can split up an album, and sell it piece by piece if you wanted to do so, you can't reallllly do that with a game (okay you can, but thats my point)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Amember Offline
Average Joe

Re: Piracy - February 23rd 2011, 08:01 PM

Ah, now I understand.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
WestboundPuppet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ramon

Re: Piracy - February 23rd 2011, 10:38 PM

Oh almost everything on my computer is pirated. Countless games, programs,movies, music,apps. I got an app that costs $899 for free...

Closed Thread