TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

are dark colors bad? - January 12th 2015, 01:31 AM

it's kinda depressing to look in my closet and see all grays, blacks, dark blues, dark reds... people say that i'll never be noticed wearing sad colors like those.

so should i change things up?
i try to dress in lighter, more "fun" colors...I really do. but whenever i look at brightly colored clothes, i think, "wow, this wouldn't look good on me." or "this is too bright for my skin."

i just think black and darker clothing makes me look better.
and, in my opinion, those types of clothes are cooler...to me.

so is it wrong to dress this way? because it feels wrong. and a lot of people make it seem wrong.
i don't really do it on purpose, it's just what i seem to lean towards..?

but does it make me uninteresting, or harder to notice??

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Average Joe

Re: are dark colors bad? - January 12th 2015, 01:48 AM

I'd suggest to start slowly adding colors into your fashion. Maybe try adding brighter colors that go with darker clothing.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: are dark colors bad? - January 12th 2015, 01:53 AM

So many people just don't understand things that are "different." And it's a shame, too, because being different and unique is what makes a person special and interesting, in my opinion.

I wear dark clothes all the time. I do sometimes wear some lighter colors, but most often? You'll see me wearing red, grays, black, etc. You shouldn't be ashamed of wearing these colors; it's what YOU like to wear, what YOU think you look good in. And as for your question about what you wear, whether or not it's "wrong" to dress this way? The answer is NO, absolutely not. If other people put you down simply because of the clothes you're wearing, then they're not people you want to be friends with in the first place.

It doesn't make you "hard to notice." Just look at me; I dress in dark clothes 90% of the time, and I'm engaged to be married. So don't let what other people are telling you get to you; be YOU, and be proud to be YOU.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: are dark colors bad? - January 12th 2015, 03:40 AM

Dark colors are NOT bad! I think it all depends on how you do them. I would be very depressed wearing dark colors all the time, but I'll wear the occasional all black outfit, especially on an, "I feel fat," day. If lighter/brighter colors are new to you, take it in stride and add them slowly to your wardrobe. You could start by wearing your darker clothes and simply adding a brightly colored accessory (like a red belt or a pink necklace) to add a pop. Like this:

Try wearing a dark outfit with a bright cardigan or jacket, like this one:

You could also wear a dark cardigan with a brightly colored tank top underneath. Something like this, perhaps:

OR you could try a cardigan with buttons. You can start by wearing it buttoned so it only shows a little bit of the tank, and then as you get more comfortable, wear the cardigan completely unbottoned. Something like this:

BUT. If you feel like color doesn't work for you, don't do it! Your sense of style is YOUR OWN. Maybe instead of wearing bright colors, you could try adding texture to your outfits to mix it up if you feel like you won't get noticed. Try lace, ruffles, silk, or sweater materials. Like these:

Do what feels right to you! If you're not comfortable in it, you won't feel confident in it. You want to be noticed when you feel most confident, and you certainly don't want to try to be someone you aren't. No one can tell you what's right or wrong when it comes to style. It's YOUR personal style!

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: are dark colors bad? - January 12th 2015, 03:29 PM

I too, also like to dress in dark colors and I don't see anything wrong with it. If you want, you could wear lighter color accessories with the dark-color clothing you have. For example, you could wear a black sweater/shirt with a light colored scarf, jewelery, or carry a light-colored purse/bag(if you carry those).

But most importantly, do/wear what you are comfortable doing or wearing. You don't have to wear lighter colored clothing just because some people told you to. Hope this helps!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: are dark colors bad? - January 12th 2015, 05:53 PM

I really don't think there is anything wrong with wearing dark colors. I wear mostly wear dark colors 90% of the time, but I just prefer to wear dark colors.

A couple of suggestions could be that if you have a dark colored dress, maybe pair it with a light color sweater or incorporate some colorful jewelry. If you are wearing some dark colored jeans and a semi dark shirt, maybe wear a light sweater and incorporate some colorful jewelry.

Here are some examples for you to take a look at:

The thing to look out for is to match the colors with whatever outfit you plan on wearing on a certain day.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: are dark colors bad? - January 12th 2015, 07:49 PM

Hi Jess,

Apart from the wonderful suggestions already made, I'd just like to say one more thing. Forget about what other people tell you about colours which are best for your skin/for you for a minute. Stop. And think about the colours that you like wearing. Think more about how the colours make you feel. Once you have a grip on what kind of colours you'd like to wear and experiment with, you can mix things up and create your own style and look.
Best wishes x

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: are dark colors bad? - January 20th 2015, 06:27 AM

Dark colours are looks very good on fairy skin and I haven't hear anywhere that dark colours would be harmful for skin at all so if the person who is having a fairy skin dark colour would be best for him and her.

Closed Thread