TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Gothic Fashion (Past or Present) - August 2nd 2015, 02:57 PM

For the longest time, I was into goth fashion. Although I still think it's beautiful (and continue to favor elements of the style such as long coats, leather, black clothing and gothic-type accessories like watches, etc.), I have fallen out of it in more recent years, largely due to the effort required.

I was wondering if anyone here either dresses or used to dress gothic and if so, what draws/drew you to the scene?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Re: Gothic Fashion (Past or Present) - August 2nd 2015, 05:12 PM

I was never Gothic, but I used to be in just the alternative style. Basically I've always have been since I was like 12 or 13, drawn to anything alternative. Such as emo, scene, punk, just now getting into the rave thing but more on the kandi side (colorful pony bead bracelets, clothes), skater, and I also used to like the clothing for being gothic.

It was weird how when I was little in the town I grew up in even though it was mostly an "hip hop" and "r&b" kinda scene where lived (probably just because it was that era of time). Every where I went there was always goths, and I would admit when I was really little I used to find all the black stuff scary and just a little weird, until my mom explained it more that it was just an style of choice.

I really haven't been in any kind of alternative style either for the simple fact it takes awhile for everything, I just got lazy and stopped one day. What I mean by that is it takes long in the morning to do the makeup, all the accessories, the clothing, my hair, It just had taken up to much time it became hard to maintain my "look" or style how ever you see it as. I started losing an accessory every day. :P

I have really been wanting to go back to being emo or something (sorry for those who don't like calling that particular style emo ) :P I miss being able to mix wearing black with neon colors, converse shoes, certain clothing, hairstyles, and the accessories I would wear. Even though I guess you could say that this style has been out for awhile as far as being "mainstream", at least where I live. Does anyone know if people still dress like this? Not that it will stop me, but I was just wondering.

Sorry if this doesn't help you out any since I was never really gothic. I just wanted to tell you my experience with being in the alternative style all together.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Gothic Fashion (Past or Present) - August 5th 2015, 01:37 AM

Thanks for sharing and that is exactly what I meant as well - it takes so much time and effort to maintain that type of style, which is largely why I fell out of it for the most part. It sounds as if you were into all kinds of cool fashion looks - I think emo, skater, scene and punk are all great and unique styles in their own right.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Gothic Fashion (Past or Present) - August 5th 2015, 04:15 AM

You're welcome I hope that I could help you some. I'm glad that we both can agree that the time it can take to keep up with an certain style can be hard. Again I'm really sorry if this didn't help you out since what I said wasn't to much about gothic fashion.

Yeah all of those styles are really cool, each one has something different to offer, even though I have never really technically tried some of those styles. It's actually funny to me how I thought that the gothic style was weird when I was really little, but now I love different alternative styles and looks. Just shows how much our views on some things change when we grow up. :P Even though I love all of those styles I feel like I never pull them off or it doesn't look right when I'm wearing certain things, ugh. It also comes right back to each one of those styles are hard to maintain and are time consuming to get ready everyday. With the exception of the "skater look", if just seems a little less time consuming based on the clothing and accessories I've seen people wear.

Maybe you could try the gothic style again, but when you start out again go slow. Transition from what your current style is to trying out the gothic style again, but this time try doing less accessories and less clothing. Or whatever that was making it hard to maintain your style the first time. You can still have the look you're aiming for, just not with so many things that it starts to feel like an chore. When it starts to feel like an chore it's not fun anymore. They do say less is more! I really need to take my own advice. :P

Anyways whatever style you end up choosing now or down the line, I hope that you are happy with it and confident in it. Just remember that the confidence you end up having will not be based on the style or the clothing, but what you feel inside.

Looks like I'm going to have to listen to my own advice again.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Gothic Fashion (Past or Present) - August 5th 2015, 07:59 PM

Ha - actually, I think my full-fledged goth days are likely done I was just curious as to how many others here are or were into the scene. I still like to dress somewhat goth-like with long black coats and leather pants, etc., but as far as the makeup and nail polish aspects, I still consider that too much upkeep, lol.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Gothic Fashion (Past or Present) - August 5th 2015, 08:31 PM

I understand I feel that way sometimes, but lately I've been missing the style with black and some pops of color. :P

(#7 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Gothic Fashion (Past or Present) - August 5th 2015, 10:35 PM

Nice - sounds very cool

Closed Thread