TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
1924 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Default How come boys are not nervous/are confident wearing swimsuits in front of girls? - March 26th 2016, 06:28 AM

in gym class in 10th grade we do the swimming unit, girls wear one piece swimsuits and boys wear swim trunks. We practice different strokes and play some games.

I realized that the girls must love this class since they get to look at all the boys half naked and see their physique. Hell even the female teacher must love the class because of that (she's young as well and usually the teacher is female). Hell I would not be surprised if this whole class is just there to force boys to have to show their physique in front of all the girls. Lol. Also boys don't have as much to look at because girls are in one piece suits

how come boys don't seem nervous about having to be pretty much half naked in front of a bunch of girls and a female teacher? Even the ones that seem kind of overweight

Last edited by Celyn; March 26th 2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Moving to Fashion and Style :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Clarent Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: L.

Re: Default How come boys are not nervous/are confident wearing swimsuits in front of girls? - March 26th 2016, 11:04 AM

We do. Who said we don't?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Default How come boys are not nervous/are confident wearing swimsuits in front of girls? - March 26th 2016, 01:00 PM

I donít think you can generalise like that. Iím a girl, and when I did swimming, wore a one piece swimsuit and still felt self-conscious. Equally, I reckon there are many guys out there who also feel self-conscious of their bodies when wearing swim trunks. Sometimes, guys might not talk about how they feel self-conscious because they might have been brought up in a culture where itís not a Ďmasculineí thing to do. Even though the reality is, itís definitely good to talk about feelings!

I doubt many people are there just to look at each otherís bodies. Weíll never know what others are thinking, and most people are probably concentrating on the lesson to even notice what others are wearing or their physique.

The other issue is one piece swimsuits for men. For some reason, they are difficult to find, so I guess most guys wear the swim trunks instead, even if they donít really want to. And also there could be the expectation that since all of the guys are wearing swim trunks, those that donít feel comfortable wearing them, might feel a bit out of place if they are the only ones wearing a one piece swimsuit.

In general though, I think itís quite common for both girls and guys to feel a bit insecure during their teenage years, particularly when it comes to Physical Education lessons.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stephe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephe

Re: Default How come boys are not nervous/are confident wearing swimsuits in front of girls? - March 27th 2016, 03:47 AM

Sometimes boy do. Frankly, I don't since I'm gay, so swim class is basically a win-win for me. Some people feel self-conscious about their bodies, but by the end of the unit most of them are happy with their own body.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Default How come boys are not nervous/are confident wearing swimsuits in front of girls? - March 28th 2016, 04:01 AM

yeaaaah.. no. i grew up with two brothers and i was friends with all of their friends.
some boys are faaaaar from comfortable in swim suits.
my brother, who grew up fairly chubby and not even close to as bone skinny as the other boys, still struggles with swimming in front of other people. and i think that boys experience more "in-their-face" comments about their appearance from other boys than girls do from other girls.
i know my brother has been called every name in the book because of his weight, and every "flaw" that shows during summer is pointed out every single year.
to this day, he's obsessed with working out and has finally lost the weight (when honestly, all he needed was to hit puberty and he lost the majority of it.)

and girls in one pieces are still very self-conscious about themselves. i should know, i've been practicing holding in my stomach while swimming and walking in a swimsuit for about 5-6 years now.
plus girls always need to make sure their bikini area is shaved well enough so it can't be seen in a swimsuit.

basically everyone has reasons to be self-conscious and a lot of people probably are insecure without necessarily showing it.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

Closed Thread