TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

nail paint - May 25th 2017, 06:50 PM

Anyone like nail paint? well I know some people will, but I meant also like the guys on here, as it is quite a thing for either gender
Some people are a bit narrow minded to say its a girls thing
I'm also curious how it works as i've not used it before and don't want to accidently wash it off when swimming, bathing etc. Bit of a waste if I have to re apply it constantly

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: nail paint - May 25th 2017, 08:54 PM

Hey Matthew!

I wear nail polish almost all of the time! I love having coloured nails

If you don't want some that chips off after a couple days you would either need a manicure (which can be expensive) or amazing nail polish. I usually have to redo mine every 3-4 weeks (or when I'm not lazy...)

I find that putting a clear bottom coat and a clear top coat on top of the colour helps a lot. So you'd put a bottom coat, then the colour, and then the top coat.

I hope this helps!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: nail paint - May 25th 2017, 09:16 PM

haa too complicated for me i really just want it simple as what you said went over my head just then
the one im looking at now is like £4 so not much good then?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: nail paint - May 25th 2017, 09:36 PM

Hey there,

Cheap nail polish isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean you might have to touch it up a bit more often. I'd definitely recommend putting a base coat of clear polish on before you put the color on. While it does make it take a little longer, it will also help protect your nail.

Once the polish is dry, you won't have to worry about it washing off. It will just start chipping within a couple of days. When that happens, you can either paint over it to touch it up (this doesn't work as well with darker colors as the touched up areas will be a bit lighter) or you can take it off with nail polish remover and just repaint them.

Quick pro tip: if you're trying to see if the polish is dry, gently touch your skin in between the bottom of your nose and your upper lip. It's more sensitive, but also won't rub the polish off the way touching it with a different finger would if it isn't dry. If it feels sticky, the polish isn't dry yet. If it feels smooth, you should be good to go. You'll be able to use your hands, but I'd still recommend being careful for a few more minutes.

Have fun experimenting with different colors and finding the polishes you look best!

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: nail paint - May 26th 2017, 01:39 PM

Like Sammi said, cheaper nail polish isn't entirely bad. I use a lot of cheaper nail polish; I just have to redo them more often but that doesn't bother me too much.

Something I've heard (but haven't tried too much) is to put your hands in cold water to help your nails dry faster, and to avoid hot water such as a shower or a bath right after you paint your nails. This is because the heat causes the nail polish to expand and chip off.

I use a base coat all the time to prevent staining on my nails. If you want a color to be a little darker, try doing two thin coats instead of one thick one because thicker coats smudge easily.

Something else you can try if you're interested are nail stickers. They're fun to use and they give you a design easily. Some of the stickers can be hard to remove, however.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread